The Michael Higdon Thread

DEWELL

So Higdon reckons he was rotten last week. So fans giving him a hard time is justified. This week he realised he needed to up his game, promptly did so and bagged two goals.

Glad he seemingly was alot better yesterday and pleased he got a brace, still don't rate him or feel he fits into our system of play but will be happy if I'm wrong. At least it looks like he will bag double figures in goals easily this season.

Gonna fuck off. Motherwell doesn't need you and your strictly come dancing judge approach to supporting a team

• Like 2

Gonna fuck off. Motherwell doesn't need you and your strictly come dancing judge approach to supporting a team

Motherwell need every fan they can get through the turnstyles. I don't see what the problem is here. Higdon had a bad game last week, by his and everyone elses admission. Some fan's voiced their frustrations. This week he scores two and has a good game and everyone is happy.

Go to any football ground in Britain and you will see the same thing. Dundee Utd got booed off the park yesterday. Man City fans had banners saying Tevez out! Blackburn fans had banners saying Kean out!! Arsenal have a bad month and their fans want Wenger sacked. Aberdeen fans want Brown sacked. Hibs fans want Calderwood sacked. Rangers fans at the start of the season wanted McCoist out.

This notion that Motherwell have the worst fans in the world and that they should not bother turning up is nonsense. That it is others fans of the same club that is levelling this criticism at them is farcical.

Listen to English phone ins and you will hear fans on a regular basis criticise Sir Alex Ferguson. It's the way it is but I am sure every club in the nation will happily take their money.

I have not said anything about Higdon so far but my view is that I hope he has a great season. If he doesn't and things don't work out I hope the manager is not too slow at putting him on the bench. Simple really.

Motherwell need every fan they can get through the turnstyles. I don't see what the problem is here. Higdon had a bad game last week, by his and everyone elses admission. Some fan's voiced their frustrations. This week he scores two and has a good game and everyone is happy.

It's not quite as simple as that I'm afraid. If Higdon had played badly throughout the game and the fans had started getting on his case, then fair enough.

The booing and heckling started after four minutes when Higdon chested the ball down and misplaced a pass.

Four minutes.

It appears to me, and this is just my opinion, that certain sections of the support are looking for the opportunity to get on Higdon's case at any opportunity.

The lengths people are going to to defend their right to abuse this player is sickening.

Given our current circumstances.

If you are taking about people like me Steve Diggle you are being a bit presumptous. I don't abuse players and I don't think anybody has a right to abuse players. It is however a fact of life. Very often it is the vocal minority that set the tone.

If our current circumstances were bad, would they then have the right to abuse?

It's not quite as simple as that I'm afraid. If Higdon had played badly throughout the game and the fans had started getting on his case, then fair enough.

The booing and heckling started after four minutes when Higdon chested the ball down and misplaced a pass.

Four minutes.

It appears to me, and this is just my opinion, that certain sections of the support are looking for the opportunity to get on Higdon's case at any opportunity.

This is because of the type of player Higdon is. He can look as if he is not trying (jumping, running etc). That people don't understand the players attributes shows an ignorance on their part. I understand your frustration and commend the support you give him.

My advice would be keep on supporting the player in the way you are doing, have a wee giggle at the ignorance of the boo boys and don't look for something more sinister than it is.

Forbes, Fitzpatrick, Gow, the Juke at the start, Porter at the start- the list goes on. When Higdon has had his turn it will be someone else. Just enjoy supporting the team and don't let it get you down.

My advice would be keep on supporting the player in the way you are doing, have a wee giggle at the ignorance of the boo boys and don't look for something more sinister than it is.

It was a giggle the first few times it happened. When it's going on throughout virtually every home game it gets a bit tiresome.

I know we need every fan we can get, but I also wish that some of these characters would just stop going.

• Like 1

I hope we don't see a trend developing where the team play better away from home, where the abuse levels aren't quite so high.

I think the team is set up to play better away from home, but not because of the abuse levels. It's more to do with the fact that our personnel is more suited to counter-attacking football.

When we have to press against a stuffy defence (as we often do at home), we aren't as effective.

• Like 1

You could be right Weeyin. I've not managed to get to as many away games as I would have liked so I can't really comment on how we're playing away from home this season.

As things stand we're sitting second in the league and Higdon is our top scorer :yahoo:

Yesterday was my 3rd away game of the season I would happily say that we are playing better stuff away than at home. It is possible that the away support IS more positive and behind the team and maybe it has something to do with it, along with the style of play we use.

Steelboy will be away drowning his sorrows - he'll be gutted we won and more gutted that Higdon scored 2. :D He'll be hoping that we're shite again soon tho.

Go easy on him on his return.

He is partying in Ibiza and when I spoke to him last night he was delighted at the result.

I'm not a big fan of Higdon either but there is no doubt everyone wants him to play well, there is some doubt if he is good enough to play well in a lot of games.

He has managed to score goals albeit they all been first time strikes or from close range but is still woeful in his link up play and general effort about the park. I don't want to see him sprinting about like a looney but in yesterdays game he stood and watched Kenneth walk the ball into our half several times without even making a move towards him. The game suited yesterday against two centre halves who like contact which meant Higdon didn't look like an arse turning and reaching out for defenders like he did against Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and Celtic while the ball was still in the air.

He did play much better though but I still think he needs to work harder off the ball. He is having a very similar start to John Sutton who scored goals but was like the tin man in all other aspects of the game.

Sounds like a pathetically veiled grudging comment to me.

"He might have had a good game and he might have scored a few goals but I still think he's pish and I'll let him know as soon as things take a turn for the worst."

Yet as many have pointed out we've been carrying a few for most of the season who seem immune.

He is partying in Ibiza and when I spoke to him last night he was delighted at the result.

I can imagine him partying. No doubt sitting in a hotel lobby somewhere entertaining the locals with "you know, contrary to popular opinion, a weekend in largs is actually a better holiday than a week in ibiza and the clubs are better too. i will be proved correct about this as soon as my aspirin wears off (which is actually more effective mdma for a true dance experience)"

• Like 1

Sounds like a pathetically veiled grudging comment to me.

"He might have had a good game and he might have scored a few goals but I still think he's pish and I'll let him know as soon as things take a turn for the worst."

Yet as many have pointed out we've been carrying a few for most of the season who seem immune.

Cheers for the quotation marks...who is that attributed to?

Higdon had a good game but I'm not confident he will have a run of good games. It is great he is scoring goals but even his happy clappers (there were fans applauding when he won his first header...it went to no one) can admit his touch hasn't been the greatest, he has tried too many first time lay-offs when he should be trying to hold the ball up and he has been fighting defenders rather than for the ball.

As for others not playing well. Steve Jennings had his first good game in a while and looked fit enough for the ninety, Humphrey shows it in flashes but he did nothing spectacular yesterday and Murphy had another quiet game on the wing.

Credit to Clancy as well, he is good player if he can cut out his stupid errors, he had a great game at Tannadice.

Higdon got similar treatment from a section of our support. (Still is getting it on our forum) His "lazy" style makes it look as though he's not interested. It comes down to what you want, a forward who scores goals or a forward who runs about a lot. :whistling:

His 15 goals for us last season, and that's a team who were 2nd bottom, shows he knows where the net is and WILL score goals for you guys.

Unfortunately some people will never accept him, I'd have him back in a second.

Hope your current decent form continues.

• Like 1

What exactly does that mean ? I can't voice my thoughts on the team only listen to the views of others because they must know best and be right ?

Higdon said himself he was rotten in the last two home matches, I'm guessing you haven't told him to fuck off for speaking ill of a player in claret & amber?

Thought not.

Remember I ain't been abusive to the guy , but he is slow, can't seem to out jump defenders, an amazing feat for a big guy. How often is he caught out fouling the defenders ?

Link up play awful? Can't win headers? I think its evident who was at yesterday's game and who wasn't.

Faraway Saint is right. Who would you rather have? Someone who puts the ball in the back of the net or someone who doesnt but 'looks' to be putting in a shift.

Away and bile yer heids - Higdon will end up with a better record than Sutton, and towards the end of his time he was a hero on here. Having said that I'd like to see who would win in a 100m race between Higdon, Sutton and Craigan :whistling: