Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

you obviously dont sit anywhere near me..........I'm convinced that the folk in front of me dont watch the game, they only watch Higdon, its fucking pathetic.

Knowing Steelboy as I do, I'd imagine that he is hugely delighted by yesterdays result, doesnt cover the fact that he knows the square root of fuck all when making a snap decision on a centre-forwards ability and its nice to remind him about that.

:laugh::thumbup::nod:

• Like 1

Here is a rough draft of a letter we have typed up and hope to send of to Dundee United. If anyone wants to edit this to improve the content before it is sent away then please feel free? I have also emailed Alan Marshall at Motherwell, as he tends to be our main contact between the H&S people at most clubs, to find out who is best to contact at Dundee United.

Dear Mr Thompson,

I am writing today to draw your attention to an incidentwhich happened on Saturday 1st October outside the Jim McLean FairPlay Stand prior to the kick-off between Dundee United Football Club andMotherwell Football Club.

Firstly let me point out that I am a dedicated follower ofMotherwell Football Club and I have had many enjoyable visits to your stadiumhowever on Saturday this was not the case. I was part of a group of around 50-60Motherwell fans who on arrival at the turnstiles was refused entry to the groundby one of your employees Wendy Thompson. Firstly Wendy informed the group thatno flags will be allowed into the stadium despite this being cleared by our Safetyand Facilities manager Alan Marshall at the pre-op’s meeting on Friday.

The message we received from Alan was our drum, which I mustadd has been allowed entry to every Motherwell away fixture this season,including Celtic, Dunfermline, St Mirren and Kilmarnock, was a “non-starter”,no surfer flags would be allowed but “normal” flags will be allowed. For thisreason we made sure that no surfer flags were brought and all our flags were shorterthan 1 metre and no thicker than a thumb, as previously at SPL grounds we havebeen informed that this is the guidelines. That for Wendy though was not the case andafter much discussion, including offering to show her the email we had receivedfrom Alan Marshall, she decided that she had heard enough and due to our “attitude”not only would the flags not be allowed entry but nobody from the group wouldbe allowed entry either. At this time there were a number of police officerspresent who were completely shocked by the incident and tried to talk the stewardsround to allowing us entry as even though Wendy described us as a “risk”, theyhad seen no evidence of this. The police officers have provided badge numbersif necessary and urged us to make a complaint due to the over-zealousstewarding and completely unnecessary hassle which we faced from Wendy and hercolleagues. One officer also informed us that this was not the first time hehad encountered this approach from Wendy and she has often inflamed situationswhen the Old Firm fans are visiting Tannadice. This does not surprise me as Wendy and anotherChief Steward named Fran continually spoke in an offensive and aggressivemanner to a number of Motherwell fans and certainly were not open to anyreasoning, even when one individual suggested we put the flags back on the busand enter without them.

On top of this I would like to highlight the financialeffect this would have not only on us Motherwell supporters but Dundee Unitedas a business. With around 60 Motherwell fans being refused entry at around £20per person, this is £1200 revenue lost before any of these fans buy a programmeor visit the kiosk for refreshments. Nowon the grand scheme of things £1200 may not be a great deal to a football clubof your stature but in the current economic climate I believe it is a largemistake to be turning away this form of revenue with no real explanation why.It is also a crazy approach to alienate supporters who aim to create anatmosphere at the football and in turn add to the overall product of thematch-day. I would also like to pointout that our supporters bus was a 57 seater and worked out around £7 per personwhich is roughly £400 spent for a wasted journey to Dundee.

I aim to also bring this issue to the attention ofMotherwell Football Club and the national media as I have never experienced asituation quite as bad as this before on previous visits to any footballstadium. I have attached some photographs of the incident for your viewing andI look forward to hearing from you.

"heavy hands, empty stands" - i liked the banner!!! and certainly apt here, maybe an idea to enclose a photo of the "United fans" with this banner!!

how about sending Mark B a message on twitter - get his contact details, or send something into the Real Radio phone in - try and raise the profile. Maybe even asking some of the Motherwell players to retweet a message as no doubt they are followed by the media

and show us some of your pictures!!

i have to say though, the steward I dealt with outside the ground, could not have been more helpful!!!!

"heavy hands, empty stands" - i liked the banner!!! and certainly apt here, maybe an idea to enclose a photo of the "United fans" with this banner!!

how about sending Mark B a message on twitter - get his contact details, or send something into the Real Radio phone in - try and raise the profile. Maybe even asking some of the Motherwell players to retweet a message as no doubt they are followed by the media

i have to say though, the steward I dealt with outside the ground, could not have been more helpful!!!!

Probably better to make reference to the banner in the letter as well.

Here is a photo I seen someone has tweeted Lasley and Hammell.

Lasley replied: "Disappointed to hear some fans didn't get in to see the game yesterday . Surely a better atmosphere adds to the product as a whole?"

Stevie Hammell "Huge number of travelling Well fans refused entry at to the game at the weekend, without fans we have no game!!! #poorshow"

eldu2q.jpg

Will add something about not getting allowed to the main office. Keep the advice coming guys! :cheers:

Dee

Good letter.

Two other points~:

Why not mention your travelling costs to Dundee? Lay it on a bit thick - ie most of us don't earn a fortune / some of us are students and it cost us £x that we can't afford to throw away.

You seem to be sticking to the facts, which is good, but be careful that it doesn't read like a witch hunt against "Wendy" - that could just be enough to turn the recipient against you - I know its a fine to tread. .

I would say that you have a very good case. Good luck.

If you don't receive an acceptable response then copy it to the media. Are any of you guys members of the Trust perchance? If so you could pursue it through them.

Yeah, be more formal.

The boy with the tash inside was fairly unpleasant as well.

'TURN AROUND AND WATCH THE GAME OR YOU WILL BE REMOVED'

Sorry, paid my money, I'll look where I like lad.

Dee, any written testimony available from the powers that be at Kilmarnock or Dunfermline to support your aims? I'd suspect Mr Marshall would be able to source from the clubs and match commanders in question.

Only mention that sow by name once, club official or representative for the rest of the piece.

If our link up there is anything to go by, administration is looming and I'm sure the recipient will frown upon any loss of income no matter the level.

Covering her tracks by refusing you access to the office is worthy of the sack on it's own. Power to your elbow young Dee, c***s like that dragging our game to the level we currently sit.

Haud oan, Wendy Thompson??? Better hope she's nae relation tae the guy you're lettering else she's already given him her side of the story over canapes.

Haud oan, Wendy Thompson??? Better hope she's nae relation tae the guy you're lettering else she's already given him her side of the story over canapes.

Aye, Dundee is full of the high-society. :lol:

Hasn't there been instances in previous fixtures at Tannadice where Motherwell supporters have brought in (and let off) smoke bombs...? Indeed there has.

If it's the same people (which it probably is due to where smoke bombs have been let off at Fir Park) then you can understand the stewards being concerned about letting you lot in.

Doesn't excuse her attitude, by the sounds of it, but lets remember Chinese whispers are not going to be kind to someone not letting you into the ground.

Summary: Sounds like people with previous for breaking the law (2nd paragraph) have been not allowed in because of fears they might do it again. If true, you reap what you sow...

If it's the same people (which it probably is due to where smoke bombs have been let off at Fir Park) then you can understand the stewards being concerned about letting you lot in.

What if it's not the same people?

And if there was concern about law breakers, then surely the police were in a better position to deal with that aspect?

• Like 2

Hasn't there been instances in previous fixtures at Tannadice where Motherwell supporters have brought in (and let off) smoke bombs...? Indeed there has.

Doesn't excuse her attitude, by the sounds of it, but lets remember Chinese whispers are not going to be kind to someone not letting you into the ground.

Summary: Sounds like people with previous for breaking the law (2nd paragraph) have been not allowed in because of fears they might do it again. If true, you reap what you sow...

Absolute and utter tripe. There may well have been smoke bombs let off at Dundee Utd before but that was before there even was any sort of "official" group (and I use that term loosely because there still isnt technically a "group" as such, just organisers) was even formed and as far as I know the guys that let off the smoke bombs dont even go to the games any longer. Too many people with an attitude like yours in Scottish football.

• Like 1

I think Albi does have a point, that it's not too far a leap (rightly or wrongly) for over zealus security to link 'young guys with flags and drum' with last seasons 'young guys with smoke bombs.'

It would certainly be a reasonably defendable position for the security guard in question to put forward.