Motherwell Vs Hibs Discussion Thread

Well 4 Europe

Its obvious McCall dosnt rate the fringe players[Forbes,Lawless Paige] and that cuts our options further still .And if we dont have someone who can come in and replace a dire Chris Humphrey then thats a worry.

Thats my take too Jim. We have got fast players like Murphy, Humphrey and Daley who love nothing more than to run at defenders. However they all have to have space. Thats why we are picking up points on the road, as we can hit teams fast on the counterattack. However home games need a different approach when teams come to Fir park and sit in. On Friday night Chris Humphrey was frequently marked by 2 and sometimes 3 defenders. On the other side I saw Nicky Law closed down by 4 defenders on 2 separate occasions near the corner flag. They were petrified that he was going to cross the ball.

Part of the problem was that Stephen Hughes and particularly Steve Jennings (who had a great game defensively incidentally) mounted slow predictable attacks out of defence when what we needed was to run at and turn retreating Hibs players. Inevitably by the time the ball was released to Humphrey he was marked by 2 defenders. By comparison Hibs could move up the park with 2/3 passes turning our defenders in the process.

Without doubt our mediocre home form has been influenced by team selection issues, tactics and the make up of the squad itself. That said we are sitting 3rd in the table, so Stuart McCall is getting something right.

Can agree with some of the comments about Jennings, he's distributions of the ball is awful and I had to laugh when he had the ball in the mid field ran across the park the passed to a hibs player then had to win the ball back and got a round of applauses for his efforts

As for Humphreys he was give no time on the ball at all and he had 2 men marking him so if it any wonder he struggled.

As for the game itself I felt we were beginning to turn the screw on hibs and I felt we would have been all over them in the second half.

At home we're needing a 'creative' 'central' midfielder to thread passes through.

Either that or two centre forwards who can play off each other.

Personally, I think our biggest 'flaw' is that there is too much focus on what we do off the ball. When we were playing well under Broon, Murphy and Humphrey had license to belt forward at every opportunity and provide for Blackman and co, while Lasley and Jennings done all the grafting. Infact we done the same under McCall from time to time, Quarter final replay the best example .Watching Murphy and Humphrey just now, they always have one eye on tracking back. While it clearly works tremendously well away from home, I think we are good enough to give our attack minded players more freedom at Fir Park.

Anyway, Friday night has presented a valuable opportunity for McCall and the players to learn some lessons from a game that cost us nothing.

Bottom line everyone 'should' have had a voucher and should get in no argument.

It's gonna be a huge financial hit anyway

But if every season ticket holder gets in using their book again - they can then give their voucher away for nowt (some might say fair enough) which then inflates again the ammount of free tickets in circulation.

Its catch 22 granted and I'm not saying that the distribution of tickets was perfect - some got none, some got one, some got a couple. And I'm all for folk getting in for nowt or reduced prices. But like I say the club are going to be stung by staging two games with drastically reduced income.

I'm just playing devils advocate saying that entry to game potentially should be - by voucher, PATG, or voucher 9 (because you are a ST holder that didn't make it first time)

The fact that I never got a voucher (later heard that there was one girl handing them out to anyone who asked, and giving multiple vouchers to one person on most occasions) is not my fault though, is it? It was bad organisation by the club, and as such it should be them who sort it out.

I'll be going to the replay with my season ticket, and I'll expect to get in without problem.

• Like 1

The fact that I never got a voucher (later heard that there was one girl handing them out to anyone who asked, and giving multiple vouchers to one person on most occasions) is not my fault though, is it? It was bad organisation by the club, and as such it should be them who sort it out.

I'll be going to the replay with my season ticket, and I'll expect to get in without problem.

:lol: Hark at Billy Big Baws

Your probably right - we'll turn up and get in without a problem with our STs. I think the club will have a wee headache for the rearranged game - Because in reality if we've got 2K season books and 7K vouchers we're potentially talking 9K tickets accounted for afore a blow is struck

On you're other point - You're right, the club should have planned ahead and had the ticket distributors in place halfway through the first half. Probably a good 20mins before the fire if we're being realistic.

Folk need to remember its Motherwell FC (on a shoestring budget) no' the fuckin Microsoft Corporation we're talking about here.

Given the way events have unfolded

How does one reckon the club should handle the rearranged game?

Free entry?

Voucher only?

Voucher, ST & Pay at the gate?

Voucher, ST & a limited number od additional prepay tickets?

Could end up a mess.

I've got a ST and got a mate in with a free ticket on Friday

and say hypothetically :whistling::ph34r: we walked out with 4 vouchers and the aforementioned ST

So potentially that's five folk I can get in to the rearranged game for fuck all just because i took advantage of the bring a chum deal.

Multiply that and yer talkin a bit of a squash

Without doubt our mediocre home form has been influenced by team selection issues, tactics and the make up of the squad itself. That said we are sitting 3rd in the table, so Stuart McCall is getting something right.

That and we have only lost 1 league game in the last 9 - which was a close fought contest against Celtic. Hardly a situation that calls for panic. Still I do agree we have been fortunate in a number of these games to pick up all 3 points. I also suspect the weather hampered our play the last 2 home games.

I hope as we all do that freebie last Friday makes some plyaers realise how poor they were and that if they play like that a loss or several losses are round the corner.

This month is critical. A few wins and if we get near 40 points I will stick my neck out and say that we will qualify for Europe just over half way through the season.