Motherwell Vs St Johnstone...

Davie boy

I dont really give a xxxx about opposing fans opinion tbh. I thought a good game today with a determination about us again which is good to see. Alaso thought Clancy did well beside big Huthchie. We competed well in the middle with the usual suspects giving their all ie Lasley who was fab and Jennings too. On a wee negative note im not sure Murphy and Daley can play together in the same team. I really wish we could push the boat out for another striker.Anyway a good week for us and the league table looks GREAT!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Nice to see us 6 points clear and controlling our own fate. 9 games till the split. I am hoping we can get there with a 10 point cushion. I don't know what the real numbers are but my perception is that other than rangers and celtic the max points any team in the top half will get after the split is 9 points.

We will need to continue to get results but it seems "the sheriff" has injected some new life into the team and the last 2 games have hopefully got the players fired up again. So heres hoping we have a good run in to the split.

Was going to say the next big game is V Hearts at Fir Park but the good thing ( I think it's good? ) is that every next game is the big game since we need all the points we can get.

Thought that was a super game of football which we were never far away from being in control of. Three super goals though a hint of luck about the last one, a great determination to get back in front and some lovely passing exchanges. Daley had the best bits and worst bits in Motherwell colours today but showed himself as a viable alternative for up front. Jennings had a super game in front of the defence and played his part in making sure that Craigan wasn't missed. Some of his tracking back was different class. He seems to have sped up in the last week or so now he has had some game time. Given that we had lost our best organiser and biggest player from defending set plays we coped reasonably well defensively. Shame an individual error by Hammell let them in right on half time and thankfully the carbon copy by Hateley wasn't punished so ruthlessly at the very end.

At the time I thought the penalty was the right call but having seen it again it is an absolute shocker. I'm not convinced I would say it was a dive or simulation as I don't think they were really looking for it. Thankfully it didn't bite us too much. Overall I think Calum Murray had a very good game but that really blotted his copybook.

I think the best thing Ojaama has brought to the table is that we are much less one dimensional and he really used the space Higdon created with the knock downs the other night. He had to work a bit harder today to get involved but passed the test with flying colours. What a beautiful ball by Law for the first goal but apart from that he and Murphy were pretty quiet.

St Johnstone possibly deserved a point as they certainly contributed to a cracking game but its a magnificent three points for us.

Absolutely fantastic game the day. Credit has got to go to every single player. Thought St Johnstone got away with murder the day but gave us a hard game nonetheless.

Yes, very much so. They spoiled the game with their unpleasant attitude to the game - absolutely no need for it in my book. The Compliance Officer really needs to examine Steven Anderson's off the ball lashing out at Henrik Ojamaa after he'd been yellow carded for doing exactly the same thing on the ball. The way they were taking turns to clatter Ojamaa was reminiscent of the Hearts team under Alex Macdonald.

We played well although the defence was too casual at times and their first goal was entirely avoidable. The penalty was very soft indeed and Saints players seemed as surprised as the fans when it was given. Jamie Murphy looked out of his depth in a very hard physical game. On the plus side Randolph, Hutchy and Tim Clancy coped very well against overwhelming physical odds. I thought that Lasley & Jennings did very well against abrasive and combative opponents but for some reason we capitulated in the second half although we held on. Ojamaa was a buzz bomb up front and caused the Saints rearguard headache after headache. What a find he is.

We did miss Michael Higdon badly up front - he would have been useful at set pieces and in holding the ball up. Some great goals though and we can't complain. What a winner from Keith and although it took a very slight deflection it was going in anyway in my opinion.

A great result in an important game which keeps us in third place. As a Saints fan commented afterwards the really worrying thing for them was that we were not at full strength.

Well done to the management and players.

Always interesting to read the other side's forum, but this is simply a piece of pish. A Saint Johnstone fan in Wishaw no less........

ForumLink

Scobby_SJFC vbmenu_register("postmenu_479107", true);

Join Date: Nov 2005Location: WishawPosts: 5,371 im_msn.gif icon1.gifRe: Motherwell v Saints. 28/1/12 Somethings never change. Motherwell from minute one with their diving from their passport brigade was appalling! Dealy should have racked up 4 yellow cards for simulating.

Should have got got a point from those cheats make mine a pint of bitter tonight

Is that Kat Dealy he's talking aboout? Won't ask what he was watching. Fool!

I thought we struggled with St Johnstone's physical superiority and I was worried at set pieces as they looked a bigger side. They certainly came to get in about us and thankfully we got the result. Penalty was very soft and overall a great result which gives us a little breathing space. Ojamaa looks a find and hopefully he can develop the relationship up front with Higdon. I always prefer two up as it's easier to get on the end of knock-ons than it is to support from midfield.

Great game thoroughly enjoyed it and thought we deserved the three points, although listening to saints boss Steve Lomas after match interview you would have thought the result was a travesty of justice .Randolph,Hutch,Clancy,Lasley and Ojamma were best for us while Jody Morris once again was a stand out for the opposition.Oslo thought we stood up well to there at times overly physical approach.

Just watched the goals again and what great goals they are ,two great tackles from Lasley led to the first ,then a great strike by Morris to make it 1-1 another good strike from Ojamma to make it 2-1 before the third and best goal for the well, Lasley starts it with another great tackle and finishes it with a great strike ,the penalty was well struck only problem was it was never a penalty. :laugh:

First game I have really enjoyed at FP since the Dundee Utd Scottish Cup QF victory. Competitve , physical, some cracking goals and no shortness of skill on display from both teams. I was as impressed by St Johnstone as I have been of any team coming to the Ark this season. Yes they were physical but they also played football and I don't think the physical aspect over their game was ever cynical. Nothing wrong with letting the opposition know you are there.

Las, Ojamaa (what a finish for his second), Jenno, Hutch, Randolph were outstanding and the rest were not far behind. If there was a negative it would be that I worry about Murphy's form. He was ok yesterday but just not where he was. Physically not strong enough for the really hard challenges and he was not quite on the same wavelength as the others. Would love to see him show us what he can do now that the pressure is off the team a little bit again.

Morris's and Lasley's goals had a real similarity about them. Both started the moves in their own half (Las with a superb tackle), were involved in the build up and both finished them really well. If this was what we watched every week there would be no crisis in Scottish football.

St.Johnstone looked strong yesterday. Sandazza and Morris were always a threat up front and as a few have mentioned they have a some big and strong imposing players in their team. If I had to be critical of our performance, we tend to overwork the ball at times. I've lost count off the number of situations that we move 5 passes forward and 5 passes back to eventually lose possession of the ball. I think we need to be a little quicker and sharper at finding the correct pass. In saying that, we have fought really hard to get the result in the last two games and if we keep this up, third place could be ours. thumbup.gif

Yes they were physical but they also played football and I don't think the physical aspect over their game was ever cynical. Nothing wrong with letting the opposition know you are there.

I'm a great believer in big physical teams Star sail and have been roundly criticised for that on these boards. However, I like my sides to be physically robust and strong and not dirty. Saints crossed the line yesterday. Steven Anderson quite cynically hacked Henrik Ojamaa twice yesterday. The first he was yellow carded the second he slyly committed off the ball. On just too many occasions our opponents led with an elbow or went in high/two footed or followed through. To me thats just plain dirty. That said they are a talented team.

Being physical to me is being tall enough to win our fair share of aerial challenges, win 50/50 challenges fairly and not being pushed about.

I'm a great believer in big physical teams Star sail and have been roundly criticised for that on these boards. However, I like my sides to be physically robust and strong and not dirty. Saints crossed the line yesterday. Steven Anderson quite cynically hacked Henrik Ojamaa twice yesterday. The first he was yellow carded the second he slyly committed off the ball. On just too many occasions our opponents led with an elbow or went in high/two footed or followed through. To me thats just plain dirty. That said they are a talented team.

Being physical to me is being tall enough to win our fair share of aerial challenges, win 50/50 challenges fairly and not being pushed about.

I disagree with you here. I think when you have players like Ojaama and Daley it actually makes players look dirty when they are basically just done for skill and or speed and they mistime their challenge. Even the bookings they got (apart from Sandaza's) were just attempts to play the ball when their opponent outfoxed them. I have no problem with that at all. There were a couple of times the elbows went up for leverage and could have been seen as reckless but their lot did it no less than Jennings and Hutchinson. The referee seemed very keen to let them all just get on with it and I think both sets of players were happy enough with that as were the fans as the game would have been nowhere near as good fi he had punctuated it with free kick after free kick. I don't remember seeing Ojamaa being done off the ball but I did a couple of times note we were getting an advantage when I had seen no foul so may have been then.

I disagree with you here. I think when you have players like Ojaama and Daley it actually makes players look dirty when they are basically just done for skill and or speed and they mistime their challenge. Even the bookings they got (apart from Sandaza's) were just attempts to play the ball when their opponent outfoxed them. I have no problem with that at all. There were a couple of times the elbows went up for leverage and could have been seen as reckless but their lot did it no less than Jennings and Hutchinson. The referee seemed very keen to let them all just get on with it and I think both sets of players were happy enough with that as were the fans as the game would have been nowhere near as good fi he had punctuated it with free kick after free kick. I don't remember seeing Ojamaa being done off the ball but I did a couple of times note we were getting an advantage when I had seen no foul so may have been then.

And I disagree with you, Murray Davidson was cynical a few times, the one he got booked for eventually should have been his third card (not as bad as Cat Dealy's four cards mind) and we seem to get punished for our first foul at times. Overall ref wisnae that bad, just normal shite as opposed to Alan Muir shite. We don't have any good refs, or at least none that rule in our favour much so when we get just a shite ref I think we get kidded that he was actually allright. If you get my drift. :thumbup:

Great game and great result. Henrik was fantastic again, so hope we can get him long term. Lasley also deserves huge credit for his finish. I think Jamie needs a rest for his own good. Hes a good player but lost confidence and things really haven't been going his way of late. From where I was it looked like a penalty but I thought hammells shirt was getting pulled as he was clearing it which is why it was a poor clearance, not seen it again though.