The Well Society

stuwell

There was a few folk saying on here that they wouldn't be investing when what they see as a "club insider" heading up the independent body, so perhaps he's stepped aside to see if those folk put their money where their mouth is. I wouldn't describe that as shitting the bed if that is the case. Unless someone from the WS board or the man himself comes on here and states a specific reason then anything we come up with would just be pointless speculation.

There was a few folk saying on here that they wouldn't be investing when what they see as a "club insider" heading up the independent body, so perhaps he's stepped aside to see if those folk put their money where their mouth is. I wouldn't describe that as shitting the bed if that is the case. Unless someone from the WS board or the man himself comes on here and states a specific reason then anything we come up with would just be pointless speculation.

Agreed. I can't imagine it's the money to mouth situation though. Given the circumstances, this was his opportunity to either succeed or go out in a blaze of glory.

He might well have issues in his life but fading out prior to our 'make or break' point is more likely to be the affirmation expected by the WS nay sayers. It's not going to boost the confidence of existing members or serve as the turning point for those on the fence -claiming to be ready to dip into their pockets.

Whilst I wasn't thrilled with his appointment, I accepted it as being a board member, voted on for us, by us.

I had expected him to see the journey through to the end and I can't take any positives from the news at all.

Whilst I wasn't thrilled with his appointment, I accepted it as being a board member, voted on for us, by us.

I had expected him to see the journey through to the end and I can't take any positives from the news at all.

We have absolutely no information on Graham's reason for stepping back and its best not to speculate.

• Like 2

I really hope we have a Billiy Bowie-type waiting in the wings (which is way I read the situation when I'm feeling optimistic), as I see absolutely no hope of the well society succeeding in bringing in 800k within the set timeline.

Be careful what you wish for... Whilst appeasing their bankers, he's scooped up most of their revenue source for personal gain.

i estimated at the first meeting that you only probably needed 20-30 votes to get onto the board.

barnstaple was the wrong choice for chairman due to his links to the club and also because of his clique's attempts at the meeting in dalziel church to change the rules of board election so they would be able to vote two barnstaples onto the board.

1405507326[/url]' post='416236']

Be careful what you wish for... Whilst appeasing their bankers, he's scooped up most of their revenue source for personal gain.

I'm not particularly wishing for anything OTF, all I am saying is that If the Well Society doesn't succeed in hitting their targets that we have someone who is willing to come in to help the Club...whether that person gains financially themselves isn't really that important so long as the Club has a secure future, with the ability to compete at the top level in Scotland.

There a lot of this insider nonsense spouted by folk on here who a) really should know better and b) takes away from their sensible posts on other threads.

If someone is spotted in Upper Crust walking out behind Flow then suddenly they are in his pocket, patsy, "stooge" etc. It's just tiresome and stifles the 50-50's from stepping up to get involved in future. I have no doubt there are a lot of good people who could bring a lot to the club in a voluntary basis have been dissuaded due to a number on here (who never would step forward) who look to swipe their legs from under them.

Personally I think there are a great deal of Motherwell fans who not only care about the club have enough integrity to bring it to task on a few issues regardless of any existing relationships.

However, in the same way if you use the services of someone you don't know such as a mechanic or joiner, its a very different relationship to that of a friend or family member mainly through familiarity. You'd be a bit more professional and distant opposed to jokey and willing to put up with delays/overruns, etc.

Working closely with people at the club as a function of your role is obviously going to change how you interact but also you will be exposed to the inner runnings and therefore know why it does a lot of the things it does that are pilloried on here by the glass half empty/retard brigade.

• Like 2

Graham Barnstaple has temporarily stepped back from his role as chairman because of work and family commitments.

Graham will still be involved in the society and remains committed to its goals but is unable devote the time necessary to lead efforts at the moment. Brian McCafferty will act as chairman for the time being.

Other board members and volunteers are continuing to work on membership recruitment, fundraising events, communications/publicity and membership participation.

1405806334[/url]' post='416738']

Graham Barnstaple has temporarily stepped back from his role as chairman because of work and family commitments.

Graham will still be involved in the society and remains committed to its goals but is unable devote the time necessary to lead efforts at the moment. Brian McCafferty will act as chairman for the time being.

Other board members and volunteers are continuing to work on membership recruitment, fundraising events, communications/publicity and membership participation.

Has he taken a step back from being on the clubs' board of directors and the benefits it would briing which he was afforded on his election as Society chairman?

Has he taken a step back from being on the clubs' board of directors and the benefits it would briing which he was afforded on his election as Society chairman?

Presumably you are member of the Society and if so you should email it and ask that very question.

1405811841[/url]' post='416742']

Presumably you are member of the Society and if so you should email it and ask that very question.

I am, I may well do. Interest has been on the wane for some time, their loose claim at the fan/player relationship recently further compounded my indifference.

I am, I may well do. Interest has been on the wane for some time, their loose claim at the fan/player relationship recently further compounded my indifference.

I didn't really understand that at all. Genuinely sailed right over my head. Good point on your other question though- I'd be interested to know the answer to that myself.

• 1 month later...

Positive news from the well society on twitter:

Tweet 1: We are optimistic we will reach the £800,000 target by the end of November following confidential talks over a soft loan.

Tweet 2: We are set to officially launch new instant online payment methods for new members and current members who wish to pay renewals or upgrade

The new payment method is ready and on the well society pages. I have been humming and hawing over it for a while and generally been lazy in not signing up. Just now signed up in a matter of seconds and happy to be paying £10 a month towards the basic membership and will up it when I can.

I would urge anyone who can to do the same. This is about our clubs future and not just about what you 'get' for the monthly fee. What we 'get' is a club that has a future.

Sermon over :-)

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/join-the-society/

• Like 3

Interested to know how a soft loan fits with fan ownership.

I'd assume it will be a soft loan in that it will be to get us past the post by a certain date and will be paid off as members get up to the subscription amounts over time. So, it's not a donation.

e.g.

I pay £10 a month so it takes 30months to get to £300 for the steel membership so a soft loan would essentially enable society to have that £300 now rather than in 30 months time. Multiply that by assumed amounts, or promises the club have for people who have said they would do a monthly plan (like I had indicated) and you have a basis for the payback of a loan.

I am guessing, sure there is more to it, but that would seem most likely I would reckon and would play into the recent restructure enabling us to pay by the month which is only a positive in my eyes.

I will be interested to see the official announcement when it comes too.

I'd assume it will be a soft loan in that it will be to get us past the post by a certain date and will be paid off as members get up to the subscription amounts over time. So, it's not a donation.

e.g.

I pay £10 a month so it takes 30months to get to £300 for the steel membership so a soft loan would essentially enable society to have that £300 now rather than in 30 months time. Multiply that by assumed amounts, or promises the club have for people who have said they would do a monthly plan (like I had indicated) and you have a basis for the payback of a loan.

I am guessing, sure there is more to it, but that would seem most likely I would reckon and would play into the recent restructure enabling us to pay by the month which is only a positive in my eyes.

I will be interested to see the official announcement when it comes too.

Makes sense although you wonder about a private investor willing to put in around £300k with no guarantee that this will be repaid by the fans. If the soft loan wasn't repaid in x months, would investor get a shade of the club?

I've been openly sceptical about the viability of the WS from the outset, however I have been encouraged by the recent shakeup and increased focus in networking with local businessmen.

Makes sense although you wonder about a private investor willing to put in around £300k with no guarantee that this will be repaid by the fans. If the soft loan wasn't repaid in x months, would investor get a shade of the club?

I've been openly sceptical about the viability of the WS from the outset, however I have been encouraged by the recent shakeup and increased focus in networking with local businessmen.

Aye, totally agree

I've always been a supporter of the Society but don't always agree with individual actions or details but what member does. That said, I always favoured a private "white knight" but the actions of a few, in reality probably more than few like David Murray, Miles Brookson, and Vladimir Romanov made me think again. Not all private owners have been good for their clubs. Right now I fear for Ross County who are clearly being bankrolled by a well meaning and wealthy owner. No doubt there are similar examples south of the border, about which many of you will know better than I, as I don't follow English football.

1409902225[/url]' post='420666']

I've always been a supporter of the Society but don't always agree with individual actions or details but what member does. That said, I always favoured a private "white knight" but the actions of a few, in reality probably more than few like David Murray, Miles Brookson, and Vladimir Romanov made me think again. Not all private owners have been good for their clubs. Right now I fear for Ross County who a re clearly being bankrolled by a well meaning and wealthy owner. No doubt there are similar examples south of the border, about which many of you will know better than I, as I don't English football.

The only fear I'd have for Ross County is the fact they may well buy their way out of trouble at the foot of the league when we would be reluctant to do so... Roy MacGregor's backing at County is pivotal to success for some of his concerns in the region not even taking his renewable energy enterprises into consideration.

Returning to the thread, supported the society from the offset, wasn't impressed at some recent issues so interest is on the wane to the point of not renewing membership for now. I await with interest to see how the new funding will be achieved given the last time they took a decision affecting their very existence an gem was called to change the rules.