Should Kille Game Be Postponed?

WilliePettigrew

Sorry but no. Every sympathy for the fella and his family but players family members pass away all the time and games aren't called off for this!

Plus to call our game off because the OF can't behave themselves would be disrespectful to Motherwell and Killie fans. But then again it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Like 1

No I dont think it should be postponed and most certainly not if its got anything to do with the O/F.

if the funeral is scheduled for Saturday, I would be sympathetic to a Killie request to postpone it to allow their club to be represented, some things are more important

• Like 1

As tragic as events were, I don't really see the need for the game to be postponed. The players are professionals and it wouldn't surprise me if even Kelly played.

You often hear players say that when tragedy affects them, the only place they feel safe is on the pitch, as it allows them to focus and forget about their problems, even if it is for just 90 minutes.

If it were used as some excuse to avoid a Old Firm title decided then Scottish football may as well hang up it's boots for good.

Sorry but no. Every sympathy for the fella and his family but players family members pass away all the time and games aren't called off for this!

Plus to call our game off because the OF can't behave themselves would be disrespectful to Motherwell and Killie fans. But then again it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Absolutely tragic what's happened to Liam Kelly's old man, and thoughts are with the Kelly family, but if you start postponing football matches because a player's lost a family member then you'd never get any games played.

Not a chance. It was a relative of a player, nothing to do with the club, not a coach etc. Player relatives must pass away every week. Can you imagine the implications for the game if such a precedent was set?

Its a terrible family tradgedy for the player& his mother who are both left behind, but thats it. It might not be suitable for the lad to play on saturday, but the rest of his team mates will be fine.

If Kilmarnock hadn't been playing in the cup final, and Kelly's dad had passed away midweek I doubt the issue would have been raised.

A sad situation for sure, and if the lad wants to pull out then I'm sure Killie would understand, but the game has to go on.

Largely agree with the other posters, although I take the OP's implied point that the circumstances of Mr Kelly's death were rather unusual and more closely related to on-field events than most. Even if Kilmarnock felt differently, though, it would be entirely up to them to to ask… nothing to do with us unless and until they did.

Big difference between a family member passing away & a parent passing away. As stated previously it's up to Killie to make a request if they feel it should be postponed & then it becomes a matter for us to make a decision. Don't believe Killie will want it postponed but wouldn't take offence if they did.

Big difference between a family member passing away & a parent passing away. As stated previously it's up to Killie to make a request if they feel it should be postponed & then it becomes a matter for us to make a decision. Don't believe Killie will want it postponed but wouldn't take offence if they did.

A tragic event as others have said but I don't think it warrants an SPL being postponed. Did the question arise in May 1991 before the Cup Final when Mr MacLean Snr passed away? Sadly these things do happen and it will be very hard for Liam Kelly but we all have to deal with things at some point.

the old firm game has nothing to do with this

It's up to Killie to decided if they wish to request postponement, personally I don't think they will and I wish I wasn't working on Saturday as I would love to go to the game to cheer Killie on the park for winning the league cup.

I'm with you on this one Big Stall.

Shiels has been good over the incident on Sunday but has been bumping his gums over everything that has F*** all do do with him all season in the Record.

Then again maybe someday the Record will hire a journalist who can spell the word.

Then again Traynor is the Main man for Sport. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mon the European Dossers

Given the sad passing of Liam Kelly's dad it might be appropriate for the game at the weekend to be postponed. It would also mean that Celtic could not win the title at Ibrox.

What are your views on this?

Sad as it is i dont think the game should be postponed, if it was a player or club official then yes, but for relatives etc i dont think its appropriate. And celtic will not win the league at Ibrox as we will beat Kilmarnock, so that when we play Rangers the next week it will only be us and Celtic that can will the league. :whistling:

At the risk of this thread going off topic I have to agree that Shiels is a fud. His comments towards Ayr United after their semi-final was enough on it's own never mind the nonsense he regularly comes out with in the Record and on Sportscene. Also, he must be about the most boring guy on the planet!