Motherwell Vs Rangers Discussion Thread

Ianc

With Dundee Utd playing Dunfermline this weekend as well it looks like the gap is going to be down to 5 points with them also. If there was ever a time to stand up and be counted against Rangers this is the time to do it...I'm still not very hopeful tho. 3-0 rangers

The simplest way for the lads to approach Saturday is to avoid doing whatever we've done against them in the last few years!! None of that has worked, so it seems to me the only tactic left to adopt is the old 'dogs of war' approach! Get fired right into them from kick off, don't allow them time on the ball and work like trojans for the full 90 minutes. Yes we will tire, hopefully we will use the correct subs at the correct time to counter this.

I have faith in our team, they are an honest bunch of triers who will sometimes play shite but who have, for the most part, given us a very good season. However, there will be no excuses for another limp, lifeless, gutless and soul destroying defeat against this shoddy Gers mob. I will deal with defeat on the proviso that our team have given everything and ran them close. Anything else is unacceptable.

Team wise Las will return for Carswell, but I'm toying with the idea of putting Ojamaa on the bench. He hasn't reached his highest standard over the past few weeks, and perhaps starting from the bench will give him a wee jolt, and allow someone like Daley the chance to impress again.

No prediction, it's just not worth it!!

• Like 2

HENRIK OJAMAA reckons the euphoria of Rangers’ Old Firm triumph can help Motherwell bring them crashing back to earth at Fir Park on Saturday.

The Estonian striker is convinced his side can end their 10-year winless jinx over the Ibrox club because Ally McCoist’s men won’t be as motivated as they were against Celtic.

Ojamaa attended his first Old Firm clash on Sunday and marvelled at the intensity of the contest in which three players were sent off.

And while Gers ran out 3-2 winners with a powerful performance, Ojamaa believes they will struggle to reach those heights at Fir Park.

He said: “Saturday is a huge game for us. I was there on Sunday to see my first Old Firm derby and it will be hard for Rangers to repeat that type of performance against us.

“It might be difficult for them after a game like that to be as motivated.

“Sunday was a great, crazy game with lots of goals and sendings off. It was an important win for Rangers as they’d lost two in a row before that and it will give them more confidence.

“But before our defeat to Kilmarnock we’d lost only one of our last nine league games so we are confident.

“I’ve been told how long it is since we beat them but records are there to be broken. We believe we can win.”

Team-mate Stuart Carswell is similarly optimistic and reckons Motherwell can take advantage of the uncertainty over the future of the administration-hit Ibrox side.

Carswell said: “There is not really a better time to play Rangers, given their current situation.

“We haven’t beaten them in a while but this is a good chance to get that victory.

“If we play the way we have been doing for most of the season there is no reason why we can’t do it.”

Laugherty won't play. He's hovering around the 100 appearance mark where Rangers will have to pay Burnley another fee as part of his transfer.

Apparently he's made the 100 already........

Rangers19 Jun, 08 £3,000,000 Lge 65 (37) Goals 30 Sc Cup 8 (3)3 Lge Cup8 (1)4 Europe 5 (8)0

He is, however, one booking away from a suspension. No change in the fact he is an erse.

I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get at least a draw.

Rangers have nothing to play for, we have probably a once in a life time chance to get Champions League football.

I think some times Motherwell fans are too accepting of failure. This team needs to be told quite clearly on Saturday - this is the one, you have to do it today, failure will not be accepted.

I honestly think if we lose this one we will lose the Champions League place. So in my mind that's what's at stake here and I hope the players are thinking that way to, that they don't shite it and they fight like fucking devils to make sure we get the result we need.

I think some times Motherwell fans are too accepting of failure. This team needs to be told quite clearly on Saturday - this is the one, you have to do it today, failure will not be accepted.

I do agree with that and, in normal circumstances, I don't accept any failure easily - even away to Celtic. But unfortunately with us playing Rangers, it's beginning to mirror those burds you see on Jeremy Kyle who've been systematically abused for so long, they just accept that it's normal... whistling.gif

The squads from 2002.......

Motherwell

Dubourdeau, Hammell, Corrigan, Kinniburgh, Cowan, Pearson, Leitch, Partridge, Adams, Lehmann, McFadden

Subs - Woods, Ramsey, McDonald, Ferguson, Clarkson

Them

Klos, Ricksen, Muscat, Amoruso, Moore, Malcolm, Ferguson, De Boer, Canniggia, Mols, Lovenkrands

Subs - Dodds, McGregor, MacLean, Reid, Nerlinger

I promised to stop getting excited about Rangers games after we got pumped 3-0 in August. We were flying in the league but managed to collapse again at the sight of blue jerseys. Then we had the trip to Ibrox at New Year, where we failed to turn up again against a front 3 of Healy, Fleck and Aluko.

Hopefully we can do something on Saturday. I'd have been far more positive about our chances if we hadn't been so inept at Rugby Park. However, maybe the lack of expectation will benefit us.

As for team selection, I hope we go with a midfield three. Really need to prevent them getting in their stride. While I've yet to be convinced by Carswell I'd put him in alongside Jennings and Lasley.

I'd probably then go with a front 3 of Higdon, Ojamaa and Law, which is harsh on Humphrey. Ojamaa has became increasingly frustrating since his stunning performance against Hibs. If we weren't playing Rangers I'd be tempted to drop him. I suspect however that he has the character and belief to perform on the big occasion.

Just playing Football Manager and we've just beaten the Currants 2-1 thanks to Hammell and Jennings. Since I had Spotify on at the same time and the song that just happened to be playing was "Long Time Coming" by the Delays, I think it might be worth a quid or two on it... laugh.gif

I honestly think if we lose this one we will lose the Champions League place.

I don't believe that. We got into the Champions League spot despite poor performances against the OF this season. Another poor performance doesn't mean we can't get the necessary points elsewhere to close the deal.

Not saying we shouldn't try, but I won't be panicking of we lose.

A result on Saturday would do so much good for both the team and the support. Ofcourse that is easier said than done!

There were some mild suggestions following Kilmarnock about the character and bottle of the team but from what I read that claim just easily be levied against one or two supporters whose arse fell out their trousers at the results at the weekend.

I think we're hitting one of those spells where need to try to put any reservations and doubts to one side and give the team as much positive backing as possible. Any nerves or edginess that they pick up from the crowd isn't I imagine going to do the team much good, whereas we know the positive stuff helps.

Similarly we need to hold our nerve and not turn on them if things aren't going our way during games. There will be ample time for finger pointing at the end of the season if it goes tits up. For each game though between now and then we've our part to play in tandem with the team in getting us where we want to be.

I think in an odd way last weekend allows us to go into this weekend under slightly less pressure. Rangers have clearly achieved the only short term aim they've had to play for in denying Celtic the chance to win the league at Ibrox and if we had won at Kilmarnock the players would have had "2nd place" "Champions League" "2nd place" "Champions League" fired at them all week.

McCall regularly makes the point about the first goal being important but its even more crucial on Saturday. Get that and the motivation of Rangers comes under question whilst I'd love to think that we would only grow in confidence and belief and go on to get the result.

Saturday's the day!!

I don't believe that. We got into the Champions League spot despite poor performances against the OF this season. Another poor performance doesn't mean we can't get the necessary points elsewhere to close the deal.

Not saying we shouldn't try, but I won't be panicking of we lose.

We have a very small squad and have used a core of 13-14 players pretty much all season. Last season about this time we ran out of legs and their was no energy in our performances and that's one of the major problems with a small squad you have too many players toiling in the final straight.

If your form is good you can keep it going, but when you have to pick yourself up after defeats that's when the problems start.

It's not so much we have to beat Rangers, more we have to get going again quickly after last week. If we lose two on the trot I can see us going into a sustained dip in energy and form and with St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd on our trail again that could be fatal.

Also remember 3 of our final 7 matches are against the Old Firm. We need to get rid of this hoodoo on Saturday.

• Like 1

We have a very small squad and have used a core of 13-14 players pretty much all season. Last season about this time we ran out of legs and their was no energy in our performances and that's one of the major problems with a small squad you have too many players toiling in the final straight.

To be fair, that's not strictly true. We were toiling in the final straight last season because McCall kept rotating the team to keep players fresh for the cup final.

To be fair, that's not strictly true. We were toiling in the final straight last season because McCall kept rotating the team to keep players fresh for the cup final.

He switched the team round but it was still the same players from the same small squad. Apart from a few appearances for Stuart Carswell and one start for Lee Hollis is was essential the same 14-15 players that had saw out the season.

McCall's rotation didn't help but I also think trying to get a squad as small as ours through a whole seasons when almost everyone has 35-40 games under their belt is a problem towards the end of the season.

I disagree with that too. I don't think we ran out of legs, I think McCall convinced his players to keep something in reserve for the Cup Final so we coasted after the split. I didn't agree with that approach then and still feel it backfired, but it did seem like a conscious choice from the Manager.

If your form is good you can keep it going, but when you have to pick yourself up after defeats that's when the problems start.

It's not so much we have to beat Rangers, more we have to get going again quickly after last week. If we lose two on the trot I can see us going into a sustained dip in energy and form and with St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd on our trail again that could be fatal.

Also remember 3 of our final 7 matches are against the Old Firm. We need to get rid of this hoodoo on Saturday.

St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd. have been on our trail for weeks. The gap fluctuates depending on our respective schedules, but when we have needed results (like beating Dunfermline, Hearts & Hibs) the guys have done the business. Of course things are likely to get nervy, but the trailing teams haven't suddenly turned into world beaters just because lost to Kilmarnock.

I'd much rather be in our position than theirs, and I'm sure if they do get closer they will start feeling the pressure too.

He switched the team round but it was still the same players from the same small squad. Apart from a few appearances for Stuart Carswell and one start for Lee Hollis is was essential the same 14-15 players that had saw out the season.

McCall's rotation didn't help but I also think trying to get a squad as small as ours through a whole seasons when almost everyone has 35-40 games under their belt is a problem towards the end of the season.

It wasn't just the rotation, though. They were obviously under orders not to get injured or suspended before the Cup Final and played out the season like pre-season friendlies.