Commercial Partners Threat To Scottish Football

Brazilian

There's hardly any money for the spl clubs to share. No way are we going to see any restructuring in the near future. Everyone is going to grab every penny they can get and that doesn't involve increasing the chance of relegayion or splitting the pennies between more teams. That ship has sailed now

The SPL is dead. The next few years should see our club downsize and once the adjustment is made from last seasons income to what we can expect in the future the SPL should be wound up with the Scottish League taking over once again.

We can't do it right away because we have commitments and contracts to keep but I don't really see any option in the medium future provided SPL 2 is a red herring. And let's hope to god that it is.

It's back to the Motherwell I first started supporting that basically survived on gate money although of course Bosman wasn't around back then so we will have less transfer money coming in (most players will be on 1 year contracts from now on) and banks won't allow the sort of debt we carried back then.

Which means its going to be even tougher than the early to mid eighties period when I first started watching us.

The ironic thing is the SPL was pretty good to clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone. We competed and often bettered the city clubs. That's probably coming to an end now, not necessarily next season or the season after but in the general future when denied TV money, gate money is king.

• Like 1

The SPL is dead. The next few years should see our club downsize and once the adjustment is made from last seasons income to what we can expect in the future the SPL should be wound up with the Scottish League taking over once again.

We can't do it right away because we have commitments and contracts to keep but I don't really see any option in the medium future provided SPL 2 is a red herring. And let's hope to god that it is.

It's back to the Motherwell I first started supporting that basically survived on gate money although of course Bosman wasn't around back then so we will have less transfer money coming in (most players will be on 1 year contracts from now on) and banks won't allow the sort of debt we carried back then.

Which means its going to be even tougher than the early to mid eighties period when I first started watching us.

The ironic thing is the SPL was pretty good to clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone. We competed and often bettered the city clubs. That's probably coming to an end now, not necessarily next season or the season after but in the general future when denied TV money, gate money is king.

Hence the calls for a return to splitting gate receipts.

We competed and often bettered the city clubs. That's probably coming to an end now, not necessarily next season or the season after but in the general future when denied TV money, gate money is king.

Not necesarily. We've always competed with and sometimes bettered them. We were beating Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee and Hibs 70 or more years ago. No reason why that should stop.

Hence the calls for a return to splitting gate receipts.

As I've said previously, a 50-50 split is not going to happen but I think that we should be pushing for a 80-20 split.

Looking at it roughly, I think that the losers would be Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and possibly Dundee Utd. If the voting is changed to 8-4 then this could still be pushed through by the rest of the clubs.

• Like 1

Is anyone else of the opinion that a broadcaster may well come in to the sfl as some sort of viewing to watch Rangers in the lower leagues.

Lets be honest its a once in a lifetime scenario, and probably for a while there would be some interest in it. If so the SFL clubs may well do alright out it.

In my opinion I'd say its an absolute certainty that sky will come back with a derogitory offer to the SPL. The audience down south are only interested in the old firm games and sky will know it. What was interesting though was someones figures earlier: Heres my thoughts/idea-

If you think us with sky sports pay £252 per year to have it, that would take 71500 people to cancel for sky to lose their £18m. However if fans gave the money to the clubs by way of buying an extra strip, going to a few extra games, a day in hospitality etc the money would find its way back to the clubs, and without relying on their blackmail, or playing games on stupid days and times.

Not sure thats been worded greatly or thought out 100% but you'll get the idea. The biggest problem is we all enjoy other things on sky sports, personally losing the EPL and La Liga would be a pain, but I would do it.

My sister works for Sky and speaking to her earlier today she said that she had spent all week trying to talk people out of cancelling their Sky packages because of all the uncertainty surrounding the TV deal. She made a note of how many calls she had about it and between Monday and yesterday it was over 100. She also said that all her colleagues were saying the same, in fact it was the main subject of conversation in the canteen at tea breaks, a lot were worried about the effect on jobs if there were mass cancellations.

Now you would hope that all this would be getting fed back to the hierarchy before they make a decision.

• Like 1

Not sure thats been worded greatly or thought out 100% but you'll get the idea. The biggest problem is we all enjoy other things on sky sports, personally losing the EPL and La Liga would be a pain, but I would do it.

There are other ways to enjoy those in your home without having sky.ph34r.gif

On SKY sport news on Friday they were going round some of the grounds that "The Rangers" were going to be playing at in Div3 and it seemed to me that they were actually showing more interest in scottish football not less. If you think about it if they showed the" The Rangers" away games on a Sunday lunchtime there would be an audience of thousands of the "The Rangers" fans who could not squeeze into the small grounds plus plenty of other viewers watching hoping to see them get beat ! I think the "The Rangers" in Div3 is creating a lot of interest down south and SKY will still be covering Scottish football next season and it is up to the SFA and SPL to do something right for a change and get a decent deal this time.

• Like 1

Play-offs would only have been introduced if Rangers were in division 1?!

He's openly admitting that they would change league structures only for Rangers?!

And the assertion that Rangers would definitely win the league, hence a play-off is really giving another team a chance is disgusting.

Vote of no confidence and get rid of this incompetent c***o NOW!

• Like 2

the SFL clubs were offered reconstruction as a bribe for taking Rangers in to the first division. The reconstruction that they told us just last year was financially not an option. The SFL clubs have been crying out for league reconstruction and let's be honest they would never have got offered it under any other circumstance.

The greed of the SPL got the SPL in to this mess and are owed nothing from clubs of the SFL.

the sfl clubs were offered reconstruction in exchange for taking rangers into sfl 1, they refused.

now the spl clubs are up shit financially reconstrcution is quite rightly off the table.

Reconstruction according to many document produced in the shambles is still very much on the table and a working group is to take it forward from November

which the SFL clubs were told before they voted

it might not happen in summer 2013

smoke and mirrors

Rangers spark three-way fight for TV rights to SFL opener at Peterhead

Jul 18 2012 By Michael Gannon Daily Record

THE SFL are braced for a bidding war for the rights to broadcast Rangers' Third Division reinvention.

Record Sport understands Sky have already held talks with Peterhead, who host the Gers in their league opener at Balmoor on August 11.

The Blue Toon have also been contacted by two rival broadcasters who have shown interest in the match.

The opener has maximum interest but all potential broadcasters will have to go through the SFL's commercial representatives, IMG.No official talks have taken place but moves are afoot to provide coverage of the Ibrox newco's rebuilding mission.

Balmoor chairman Rodger Morrison said: "It is fair to say there is interest.

"I don't buy all this talk of Armageddon. There is a lot of people who want to see how Rangers will fare this season."

Walter and Statler aka Doncaster and Reagan really dont have a clue. Armageddon

Statler&Waldorf5thseason-thumb-500x368-32632.jpg

Rant start:

One of the things that has pissed me off most throughout this whole saga is Doncasters handling of the tv situation. He really has no clue. Correct me if I'm wrong here but sky/ESPN have made no official statement saying that they are reducing cost of the deal. But Doncaster has openly come out and valued the TV rights at a pathetic £3M.

1. £3M is an insult to Scottish football. The product HE is supposed to be an ambassador for.

2.That sets the bar for TV companies. They now know that the SPL will accept in the region of £3M so are never going to offer anything in the region of say £15M.

3. Has there been any official word (ever?) on an SPL tv channel? Not as I recall, 50,000 subscribers at £5 per month (pennies really), or 25,000 at £10 per month (and so on) is £3M. I dont know the scale of numbers but surely they could be looking at maybe 250,000 subcribers plus advertisements minus running costs and the rest can be split equally between the clubs for a change...this would work out better for all clubs involved, except maybe celtic.

Why are these things never at the front of these idiots minds at times like this. Instead of wasting most of pre-season scare-mongering, making stuff up and generally making twats of themselves to eventually get teams to vote and arrive at the outcome of 'apply the rules', why can't they start off by applying the rules and then work on alternative scenarios for the long term sustainability of the game? I.E. Models that dont revolve around 2 teams.

How the likes of Doncaster and Regan can go about their business in this fashion and still be in their positions is beyond me.

Rant nowhere near over but i'll finish there.