Steelmen Forever

Jay

Is it just me or does anyone else hate PayPal? Called the club this morning in the effort to purchase a season ticket for the first time in my life.

I think it has its place, its a simple easy to use but expensive tool, that allows non-commercial credit transactions, but the club should be adding the credit card charges and paypal to its list of things to do and replace them

2.5% charge for credit cards and more on paypal fees is too high for a business that probably takes more than £1000000 through these sources

interesting to see ST Mirrens community ownership website only gets charged 1% for similar tools

but I dont know that it reaches high on the to do list with limited staffing

• Like 1

It would be nice if the club set up a wee running total of how much the fans had raised etc, through the various endeavours.

Seeing mini targets being met would be a good motivator for those wavering whether to whap in ten or twenty quid, I'd think.

Spoke to Leann Dempster about the campaign and she says that's part of the plan. I'm guessing they need more accurate figures on the financial gap before they can set targets.

Ordered one last Tuesday, had an acknowledgement from the club the payment was received the following day and the certificate came in the post yesterday.

The actual inscription of your brick, according to the letter that came with the certificate can take between six and eight weeks.

Hey guys small question going to buy a brick for fathers bday, what is the timeframe on it do I need to give them months or do they do them individually for a time scale?

reckon you'll get a certificate pretty quickly but the actual brick/engraved tile depends on when the next batch is getting made and put up

they contract a company to come in and put up a fair whack of them at the same time as opposed to one or two

be worth asking when its next scheduled to happen(if there is a schedule as such or if its just as a certain number are sold)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i have been reading this site for a couple of years at least and have put the odd post on.

Like others, i have been having a think about ways to raise money for our club. I`m afraid the best i can do is to come up with an idea that is a rip off of the St Mirren fans group trying to buy the club.

Basically, it would be targetted primarily at season ticket holders (obviously open to anyone though) and would be the equivalent of paying in to one home game per month. The idea would be a direct debit paying that amount to the club each month.

So for example:

Motherwell have circa 3000 season ticket holders. Say 1000 of us agree to the monthly direct debit scheme. As a generic figure, the monthly direct debit would be £15. This equates to £15000 per month or £180,000 per year.

I have noticed earlier on this thread regarding the Well lotto that some people have said you don`t notice £5-£10 leaving your account each month. Would this stretch as far as £15 for some people?? I know i would be willing to do this as it would go some way to making up on shortfalls on budgets.

Now, this is just and idea! - May be a bad idea or it may not be a bad idea. Please feel free to tear it apart, mould it slightly or agree!

Cheers

I think its something that could work better if the amount wasnt set, just having an option to set up a monthly direct debit for whatever you could afford to the club could make a real difference. The only reason i'd suggest it isnt a set amount is because some people might only be able to afford an extra £5 per month where as some others might be happy to part with £50 or more. I think the most important part about any of these schemes is that those who cannot afford to contribute huge amounts arent left out.

• Like 1

I remember the Motherwell Supporters Trust doing something similar. It's a good few years ago but if I mind correctly you had two options, you could state that your money went towards a specific fund - I think that was intended to purchase shares - or a general fund.

One of the folk involved from that era Kmcalpin possibly? might be able to advise on how successful or otherwise it was.

I like seeing everyone's ideas on how to help generate funds but I'd say is as well as posting them on here, make sure they get sent on to the club via the Steelmen Forever the official website. You never know if they could be put in action or the might kick start another idea that the club can use.

I remember the Motherwell Supporters Trust doing something similar. It's a good few years ago but if I mind correctly you had two options, you could state that your money went towards a specific fund - I think that was intended to purchase shares - or a general fund.

One of the folk involved from that era Kmcalpin possibly? might be able to advise on how successful or otherwise it was.

I like seeing everyone's ideas on how to help generate funds but I'd say is as well as posting them on here, make sure they get sent on to the club via the Steelmen Forever the official website. You never know if they could be put in action or the might kick start another idea that the club can use.

It was the Pitch In fund Andy. There was a fund for share purchase and one for general donations/club projects and contributors could choose which one they wanted to opt for. Given the overall numbers it was moderately successful if I recall rightly. Most folk paid in about £10 / £15 per month (that was 10 years ago).

This kind of scheme has its place, but I agree with Bop in that monthly sums shouldn't be fixed. Some folk may have a hard month with bills etc.

A good idea.

It was the Pitch In fund Andy. There was a fund for share purchase and one for general donations/club projects and contributors could choose which one they wanted to opt for. Given the overall numbers it was moderately successful if I recall rightly. Most folk paid in about £10 / £15 per month (that was 10 years ago).

This kind of scheme has its place, but I agree with Bop in that monthly sums shouldn't be fixed. Some folk may have a hard month with bills etc.

A good idea.

I still think that a lot of people who would love to be part of the 'Well society but couldn't afford the £300 at once or in 4 instalments over a year are still waiting in the wings with money to invest in the club.

I wonder if it would be possible if these people could pay in a fixed or variable monthly amount to a fund with the view that once they reached the £300 whether it took 12, 24 or 36 months could then become members ? That way they would have something tangible to show for their support and make them feel part of something.They can then do the same thing for the annual membership fee thereafter.

Don't know what the legal situation is on that but I'm sure something like that would appeal to quite a few people(assuming something like this isn't already available?)

• Like 3

Thanks for the responses. Good constructive points made and i reckon with a bit of tweaking, there could be a workable scheme in this.

I actually did e-mail Leaane with the same broad outline of this idea. Hopefully something comes of it.

On the actual monthly amount, i was basing that on a comment made previously in the thread where someone mentioned that the Well lotto was the equivalent £4.99 per month and that they didn`t notice it leaving their account each month. I was wondering what the figure would be where people would start noticing it leaving thir account each month!!

I thought a figure of between £10 and £15 would be a reasonable figure. Looking at what people paid 10 years ago to the Pitch in fund, that would seem to be about right.

As i mentioned in my first post, i would be more than willing to set something like this up in order to help our club.

It would need to be packaged and promoted correctly to get people on board but i would like to see this work!

Cheers

Surely rather than setting up a fixed direct debit people can just use the donate link on the website every month to give what they can? Or am I missing something here?

the clubs ability to budget on it being the main thing, rather than the more impulsive and easily forgotten need to donate manually

I think its a decent idea, as direct debits/standing orders drop out of many peoples accounts every week/month and for small amounts even those that are on a tighter budget can maybe sign up

BUT

I still think that there needs to be some sort of potential reward for the majority ever to be interested, and maybe even justify in their own heads or within family budget

I've said before and will always advocate the 'Well Lotto, mainly because I've seen it work for decades, now with some work going on behind the scenes to ready it for a bigger place as a fundraiser, I'm hopeful it will cover many peoples aspirations to support the club with a regular monthly donation

I like santhemans suggestion as well that a regular direct debit to contribute towards something specific either for the fan but beneficial to the club ('well society) or maybe even for the club itself (physio gear/training/medical equipment etc) but would worry that it requires more administration etc that might hinder it, unless of course the members card comes about and each fans gets a members account type thing that is also digitally tracked for payments etc (but I'll just hope for the database errors to get sorted first!)

Seen quoted here that Lotto is Equivalent to £4 or so a month but am i right in saying monthly dd is not an available option.

Having bought CL tickets, signed up to MFCTV, and intending to purchase season tickets in the next few days another £50+ just now is out of the question.

Can the club be influenced to change this.

It's by Direct Debit I pay, and always have paid, my Lotto fees.

I would imagine the paypal option was set up for quick and easy of getting some £50's into the coffers in line with the other items/services you could arrange by paypal when Steelmen Forever was first launched.

But like the purchasing of tickets and player sponsorships etc. that isn't the only payment method. You would need to confirm ofcourse but I'm pretty sure that if you went to Fir Park or asked for them to be sent to you, they'd supply the forms to set up a direct-debit for the Lotto.

Seen quoted here that Lotto is Equivalent to £4 or so a month but am i right in saying monthly dd is not an available option.

Having bought CL tickets, signed up to MFCTV, and intending to purchase season tickets in the next few days another £50+ just now is out of the question.

Can the club be influenced to change this.

maybe ask when you are in getting season tickets as to what the current status is, I read its being reviewed, but maybe you are reading / seeing, the online purchase which is currently only one year at £52, which was recently set up

Ive been in the lotto for a long time and it comes of as a standing order once a month

equivalent to £1 per week for each Lotto entry (£4.33 ish a month from memory)

• 3 weeks later...

after the first home match i expected a bigger crowd because of the success of the previous season and the fact it was the first home match upon speaking to people who didnt go its the same problem cost of course cutting prices isnt an option when the club is trying to raise extra money but the more people you get through the gate means a bigger fanbase to target for the money raising ideas but here is an idea that has been suggested on these forums last year it was done by hartlepool in 2011 http://www.dailymail...--just-100.html if successful it will increase home support without losing money which would increase the database of fans to target with all the money raising ideas also the idea can be tweaked and can be applied to an all ticket matches the more people who commit the cheaper it gets if the gates are around the same average as the past couple of seasons then the club has nothing to lose

seasonticketpromotion.png

i had to use rough figures and average season ticket prices but dont worry about the figures in to much details they are just a guide to show how it could work there may be mistakes but its the idea im trying to get across.