Motherwell Vs Panathinaikos

Al B

Nicky Law? I'd be tempted to put Ramsden in midfield with Lasley and have Cummo at the back with Hutch. Law to play a more forward, attacking role.

I've been saying that for a week or two now Haggis. We're badly missing Nicky law further upfield to support Higgy. He might just have made the difference last Saturday.

Not going to pick out individuals for praise or criticism but just say well done lads for getting us there and giving us a taste of something I always thought we would never be a part of thumbup.gif

Mon the Well and looking forward to the Europa League again (even saying that is something special!!)

• Like 1

This was wholly expected. Quite simply we were outclassed. And lets not think its just us - any club in the SPL wouldv'e got the same. We are no better than when we were knocked out by Odense and Nancy a few seasons back. I'm not specifically singling anyone out here but both Shaun Hutchsion and Stevie Hammell (two honest hard trying players)had their obvious shortcomings well exposed tonight - they perform like this every week in the SPL so why think otherwise tonight. Without wishing to flog and old horse, quite simply Scottish football is at a shocking level - our players and managers need a complete reality check and its time their obvious shortcomings were pointed out to them and reflected in their wages.

Aye, anyone who was surprised at the way the two games panned out is kidding themselves on. Unfortunately it was always going to be the case that we were going to be facing players with better technique than we have. With the players we have at our disposal we did the best we could have. For 45 minutes tonight, it looked like a professional away European performance. And last week at Fir Park, we at least managed to give them some uncomfortable moments. Any serious analysis of where we lost the tie has to go beyond "Daley's pish" and look at systemic problems in Scottish football. Why, whenever we play teams from a nation bigger than the Faroe Islands, do we find ourselves saying in advance that they;re "technically very good"? Or perhaps the question should be why aren't Scottish teams technically that good? Why can a Greek footballer control a football better than a Scottish footballer?

I know one thing. The answer to that question is not "because Omar Daley's pish"...

• Like 1

A tiny bit gutted they put 3 past us as at 0-5 sounds like we were pumped over the 2 legs when in reality it wasn't the case.

Still, I witnessed Champions League football at Fir Park, so overall I couldn't be prouder!

Bring on Inter Milan now evilgrin.gif

• Like 2

We are what we are with the resources that we have available. Hoped for less of a doing but not exactly the biggest surprise ever given the players that they have available to them and the level that they play at season after season.

Any weakness or mistakes are ruthlessly exploited by teams like them, borderline challenges that you would get away with in the SPL are given as fouls every time in Europe and we are severely punished. We don't play at this level often enough to have the players or the savvy to get away with it.

The guys did the best they could and played better in both games than they did against Nancy, no shame in it at all. Fucking amazing that I've been lucky enough to see the 'Well in the Champions league.

Fair play to them, total respect to all of them for even getting us there.

Europa here we come.

• Like 1

Bit of perspective required . We will take a 3-0 beating by a much worse team than that in the league at some point during the season , its fitba , it happens , especially to a team with young inexperienced players such as ours .

As has been said , we had a fair amount of the ball without having the quality to get into the final 3rd and threaten their goal , while they sat in and picked us off to great effect again . Thats the difference between us and teams at this level with big budgets .

A sore result ? Definitely . An embarrassing result ? Not at all IMO , just beaten by a superior team , in a competition we should all be proud as fuck to even have taken part in ! .

Onwards and upwards , look to take 3pts on Saturday , and get a favourable draw in the Europa . MTW .

• Like 1

Aye, anyone who was surprised at the way the two games panned out is kidding themselves on. Unfortunately it was always going to be the case that we were going to be facing players with better technique than we have. With the players we have at our disposal we did the best we could have. For 45 minutes tonight, it looked like a professional away European performance. And last week at Fir Park, we at least managed to give them some uncomfortable moments. Any serious analysis of where we lost the tie has to go beyond "Daley's pish" and look at systemic problems in Scottish football. Why, whenever we play teams from a nation bigger than the Faroe Islands, do we find ourselves saying in advance that they;re "technically very good"? Or perhaps the question should be why aren't Scottish teams technically that good? Why can a Greek footballer control a football better than a Scottish footballer?

I know one thing. The answer to that question is not "because Omar Daley's pish"...

great post. far too easy to look for a fall guy in our team. he wisnae a superstar but really who was?the team played pretty well over two legs against a side with massive resources compared to ours.

lets get real here. absolutely no shame in losing to that mob.

decent draw in the EL & this can be a good learning curve for us.

will be tough for Motherwell on saturday after knocking their pan in tonight but lets just get behind them for getting us somewhere we never thought possible & giving it a right good go.

We only got into this competition by default - a team coming third in our league is not judged as good enough for this competition and that is what we were, doesn't matter that Rangers were there by cheating because if they hadn't cheated there wouldn't be a second CL place. We went, tried our best and lost to a quality opponent. Aye it is never nice to get papped 3-0 by anyone but it is no shame, could we have had more of a go? Maybe, would that have meant we lost 6 or 7 tonight - possibly. I saw enough last Tuesday to know what we are capable of. The shooting boots really aren't on yet though. We need a wee spark on Saturday and a draw to get us excited on Friday would be grand too. Still a great time to support Motherwell. I couldn't get any consistency on the stream but from what I did see, we mainly looked really comfortable on the ball and if we can engender that we can only get better.

Good evening to all Well fans in Scotland.

As a fan of the beautiful sport, football, I enjoyed your team and my time in this forum.

Thank you for your hospitality and replies.

I am certain that Motherwell has many more fans in Greece, and will be known as a fighting team with respect for the game, their fans, and the opponent.

Like most of you hardcore, to the bone, Well fans, I would be quite proud of your team.

They played to the best of their ability without ever giving up.

Our team management and coaching staff had positive remarks about their encounter with Motherwell.

McCall during his interview on OTE TV, spoke about the number 10 Panathinaikos player.

Did he mean Karagounis? He was not in the game. He did not resign and will not be with the team.

Christodoulopoulos was no 20.

I am sure the Well fans enjoyed their trip and Athens experience, which showed during the broadcast.

Best of luck in the EL and SPL.

I will be keeping an eye on your progress in the SPL :woop:

Mon the Well!

PEACE

• Like 9

Can only really say I'm honestly proud to tell people I've seen my wee team play in the Champions League. Something I never thought I'd see and something we probably will never see again. As for the result, dissapointing but what do you expect? They had French International who could list off Newcastle, Juventus & Lyon amongst his former clubs marshalling their defence. We had an teenagaer playing his 2nd competitive game & a free transfer from Bradford in our defence. Their budget outsrtips us tenfold and we were never going to really compete, we really needed to take our chances(the few we did have) and we didn't. Don't think 5-0 really reflects the players efforts over two legs but that's football.

I've seen us pumped out the cup by lower league dross, finish bottom of the SPL, nearly go out of business & sadly lose a few good men over the years. So forgive me if I'm not going to lose any sleep abouts us getting put out the Champions League by a club the size of Panathinaikos. Actually quite shocked by a few of the comments in the shoutbox earlier which were hopefully just heat of the moment.

Well done Motherwell, no shame in admitting you gave it your all but were just beaten by the better team. I'll look back at this experience with fondness, particulalry the buzz about the place before the first game and the atmosphere throughout. Probably the best I've ever heard at Fir Park, my only gripe is that we never managed to score but never mind.

On to St.Johnstone on Saturday and hopefully we find our shooting boots for that.

• Like 1

Any serious analysis of where we lost the tie has to go beyond "Daley's pish" and look at systemic problems in Scottish football. Why, whenever we play teams from a nation bigger than the Faroe Islands, do we find ourselves saying in advance that they;re "technically very good"? Or perhaps the question should be why aren't Scottish teams technically that good? Why can a Greek footballer control a football better than a Scottish footballer?

Anyway, I agree with your first point, this goes beyond "Daley is pish" talk but I'm not so sure I agree with the second point.

I don't really think tonights result has anything to do with 'systemic problems in Scottish football'.

We simply played a much bigger team, with a bigger budget, with better players, who have more experience at this level.

If we had played a Greek team of roughly the same size and income as ours, a team like Giannina or Iraklis, we might well have gone through in the tie and you mostly likely wouldn't have seen the same technical gap.

At the end of the day it comes down to money and we are a small club without much to spend. I didn't see tonight's match but I was there last week and the two Panathinaikos players that looked a cut above our guys were both non Greek - Sissoko and Zeca, i.e. it was money that brought them into the Panathinaikos squad in terms of, possibly fees, but certainly wages. Those guys were the difference between the teams and if we'd had the money to outbid Panathinaikos for them they might well have been the difference then as well.

At the end of the day, we've been beaten by a far better side in the Champions League. For a club the size of ours there is no shame in that, it was always likely. We gave a decent account of ourselves against them last week at Fir Park and although the tie was over, did likewise in the first 45 last night before they managed to overpower us.

Our priority is and always has been how we fair on the domestic front and we have to hope that we can get back into our stride on Saturday against St.Johnstone.

Onwards and upwards...and we've even got another European tie to look forward to.

At the end of the day, we've been beaten by a far better side in the Champions League. For a club the size of ours there is no shame in that, it was always likely. We gave a decent account of ourselves against them last week at Fir Park and although the tie was over, did likewise in the first 45 last night before they managed to overpower us.

or before the heat took it's toll.

Well done guys, ye did us proud.

Glad to see some perspective arriving in the thread, everything about Panathanaikos is bigger and stronger and costs more than Motherwell can even dream off

the fact we were playing them is the achievement, I'm sure a few more will mention the heat, it should not be forgotten how much a factor it contributed, by the second half our players had flagged and the silly errors crept in.

I think we gave a good account of ourselves 5-0 aggregate flatters Pana, but they were superior thanks to the cash they have to spend.

No point in slating our players, most of them earned the right to play tonight last season

Glad to see some perspective arriving in the thread, everything about Panathanaikos is bigger and stronger and costs more than Motherwell can even dream off

the fact we were playing them is the achievement, I'm sure a few more will mention the heat, it should not be forgotten how much a factor it contributed, by the second half our players had flagged and the silly errors crept in.

I think we gave a good account of ourselves 5-0 aggregate flatters Pana, but they were superior thanks to the cash they have to spend.

No point in slating our players, most of them earned the right to play tonight last season

I'm sorry, but this just smacks of the 'plucky Motherwell' headlines we are likely to see in tomorrow's papers.

I have no problem in with being proud of the team for their achievements, and both amazed and delighted we made a CL game in my lifetime. That doesn't mean there isn't some disappointment in some of the errors that we made. When we beat Hearts at Tynecastle last season to set ourselves up for 3rd place, I don't remember any chat about them being bigger and stronger and costing more than Motherwell can ever dream of (even though all 3 are true).

There is no shame in losing over the 2 legs to a team of that calibre. There is no shame in being proud of what we have achieved. I don't, however, think it's unreasonable to be annoyed at the nature of the first goal we conceded tonight or concerned that we are still lacking a cutting edge (whether against Greeks or SPL opponents). Remember, we a have a number of players with European experience at club and U-21 level and would expect them to be just a little more savvy sometimes. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the tie, it just sets up more talking points for the upcoming games - including lessons to take into our Europa Cup adventure.

• Like 3