2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

From his article express:

" McCall is also keen to extend the loan agreement of Henri Anier from Viking Stavanger but must bridge a gap in the financial terms.

But it’s understood the Estonian international has offered to take a wage cut to try and remain at Fir Park."

Doesnt make sense to me how Anier can be earning more not playing/sitting in the reserves in Norway than he can playing first team football in SPFL, with bonuses and appearance money. Surely there cant be a massive gulf in football revenues in Norway and Scotland?

You wouldn't think so, particularly as his parent club aren't anywhere near to being a top team in their league.

Hope he stays, seems to be growing a bit of affection for the club which is encouraging and hopefully shows Motherwell fc is still a place guys want to play their football, even if it means less money!

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, had a few post Xmas jars.

I dont get the "painful sight" and other comments of sentimentality when a former player is linked and/or moves to a rival Scottish club.

You don't have any emotional attachment to players like Murphy for example were at the club from something like his early teens if not earlier, who have come through the ranks, given hundreds of games of services, provided countless memories and left literally with tears in their eyes?

These guys are our own! All part of the, and the fact that Celtic have tried to steal as their own doesn't make it any less so, very fabric of the Motherwell family that has enabled the likes of Craigan, Burns, McFadden, Leitch, Hammell and rather pertinently today O'Donnell to come back to a place they recognise as home.

So yeah to see Reynolds at Aberdeen or potentially Murphy at Hibernian is indeed a painful sight because there is a such a strong bond between player and club that it just doesn't seem right to see them in another Scottish teams colours.

• Like 3

You don't have any emotional attachment to players like Murphy for example were at the club from something like his early teens if not earlier, who have come through the ranks, given hundreds of games of services, provided countless memories and left literally with tears in their eyes?

These guys are our own! All part of the, and the fact that Celtic have tried to steal as their own doesn't make it any less so, very fabric of the Motherwell family that has enabled the likes of Craigan, Burns, McFadden, Leitch, Hammell and rather pertinently today O'Donnell to come back to a place they recognise as home.

So yeah to see Reynolds at Aberdeen or potentially Murphy at Hibernian is indeed a painful sight because there is a such a strong bond between player and club that it just doesn't seem right to see them in another Scottish teams colours.

Thank god you don't watch my other team, I've seen a well liked former player score a goal against whilst playing for another team and celebrate by waving his bare knob at the once adoring fans of his former club.

I have to say I don't feel anything for the content of that post either. I don't give a second thought to Reynolds playing for Aberdeen other than the fact it means I know his game better than other players and what we should be watching out for. By the same token I doubt Murphy playing for Hibs would bother me in the slightest.

Best performance in a Blades shirt yesterday according to texts from friends and family. Man of the match and not for the first time in recent weeks.

See that Sheffield Utd have just sent Lyle Taylor on loan to Partick, so would guess even less likley that Murph would be allowed out. Also really glad we faced Partick before they had Taylor he scored buckets for Falkirk last season and will do well for them.

Hopefully we can extend Anier & Ainsworth to the end of the season and bring another body in to supplement the ranks. However, looking in house at players whose contract runs out at the end of the season - who would you keep on?

Out of contract :

Faddy

McManus

Lasley

Hammell

Hutchy

Hollis

Stewart

I would be offering them all deals apart from Hollis, perhaps.

From the Evening Times today:

Anier said: "I want to stay at Motherwell until at least the end of the season and I just want to get things sorted out as quickly as possible.

"The club have been great and I enjoy playing under Stuart McCall. So I am hopeful we can get something sorted as I just want to focus on my football and keep improving."

We really need to think about the goalkeeping situation. It appears to be the case that McCall prefers Twardzik rather than Neilsen. And given the fact he seemed to be a bit conflicted about naming a definitive best out of Neilsen and Hollis, with Hollis seemingly just edging it, it might be the case that Twardzik is also preferred over Hollis. So something needs to be done there. This whole reevaluation should include consideration of Ross Stewart.

Hammel is a definite yes for me. I believe we are lucky to have a player of his commitment, professionalism and ability consistently turning out for us.

My thoughts on Lasley are similar to above, and I might risk being clouded with sentimentality with him as I really like him as a player and captain. But I do think he has something still to offer us. So I'd offer him an extension.

It'd be great to re-sign Hutchison but I just can't see it happen. He has been yet another great young player who has given the best part of 6/7 years service so if he leaves I would wish him all the best. I'd just hope he doesn't go to a rival - he needs to move upwards not down.

McFadden and McManus in paper as names and past glories yes. McFadden has certainly been indifferent this season bit yesterday's performance has brought about a good bit of hope. If he can continue performing like that then yes. I like McManus and if we are to loose Hutchison it would be a bit unfortunate to see him leave as well, we'd need to rebuild our central defence.

So in general, sign everyone if possible, but the keeper situation needs a bit of an autopsy because it's been a bit bizarre having two first team keepers of a similar level with neither 'apparently' convincing the manager that one is better than the other. And to bring in a loanee youngster from Dundee who seems to have ousted one of those two keepers is a bit of slight on the signing process in the summer.

We really need to think about the goalkeeping situation. It appears to be the case that McCall prefers Twardzik rather than Neilsen. And given the fact he seemed to be a bit conflicted about naming a definitive best out of Neilsen and Hollis, with Hollis seemingly just edging it, it might be the case that Twardzik is also preferred over Hollis. So something needs to be done there. This whole reevaluation should include consideration of Ross Stewart.

Hammel is a definite yes for me. I believe we are lucky to have a player of his commitment, professionalism and ability consistently turning out for us.

My thoughts on Lasley are similar to above, and I might risk being clouded with sentimentality with him as I really like him as a player and captain. But I do think he has something still to offer us. So I'd offer him an extension.

It'd be great to re-sign Hutchison but I just can't see it happen. He has been yet another great young player who has given the best part of 6/7 years service so if he leaves I would wish him all the best. I'd just hope he doesn't go to a rival - he needs to move upwards not down.

McFadden and McManus in paper as names and past glories yes. McFadden has certainly been indifferent this season bit yesterday's performance has brought about a good bit of hope. If he can continue performing like that then yes. I like McManus and if we are to loose Hutchison it would be a bit unfortunate to see him leave as well, we'd need to rebuild our central defence.

So in general, sign everyone if possible, but the keeper situation needs a bit of an autopsy because it's been a bit bizarre having two first team keepers of a similar level with neither 'apparently' convincing the manager that one is better than the other. And to bring in a loanee youngster from Dundee who seems to have ousted one of those two keepers is a bit of slight on the signing process in the summer.

Thats my thoughts as well, given that Nielsen is on a 2 year deal and Hollis is a year into his 2 year extension, it would seem logical that we would need to move one of them on if SMC wanted to make the Twardzik loan permanent, and from what i have seen of him he looks a decent keeper.

The problem with moving any of the 2 keepers on is would anybody want to buy them ? as i assume a fee would be wanted unless there is a mutual agreement to release the contract. So even if we managed to get Twardzik on a free transfer (assuming SMC is interested in signing him) can we afford to be paying 3 keepers, if Hollis or Nielsen dont go.

Hopefully we can extend Anier & Ainsworth to the end of the season and bring another body in to supplement the ranks. However, looking in house at players whose contract runs out at the end of the season - who would you keep on?

Out of contract :

Faddy

McManus

Lasley

Hammell

Hutchy

Hollis

Stewart

I would be offering them all deals apart from Hollis, perhaps.

Faddy - got a lot to prove between now and the end of the season - reduced terms?

McManus - he's been decent but not brillant, would probably depend on his wages.

Lasley & Hammell - musts. Las is getting on but surely has another year in him at least.

Hutchison - irrelevant because I don't expect him to be here after the summer.

Hollis - undecided, hasn't done much wrong for me though.

Stewart - like most of you I've only seen him once, a decision for goalkeeping coach me thinks.