Budget For Next Season

si91

I just don't understand this. WTF are we budgeting for? Cause if we budget for top 6 or higher & cup runs every year then Dempster & Weir need fucking shot. At this rate 1 season finishing bottom 6 would mean certain administration.

McCall is saying the right things but the fact is its bollocks,if our budget is cut we will not keep 1 single player who is OOC. Our squad is already the smallest in the league so we need to replace every body that leaves. To keep them we'd need to offer a higher wage,doing that would probably mean 1 less player. At this rate we are gonna end up with a squad of U20's, the same players who have been getting roasted by 4 or 5 nearly every week in the reserve league! We need balance or we risk damaging these kids before they start!

We may have fallen at the 1st hurdle in both cups, but our share of a decent crowd at ibrox and pittodrie,

To quote but one example I reckon our share of the Pittodrie gate would be about £36k - hardly a fortune. We would have made a loss on the replay.

I just don't understand this. WTF are we budgeting for? Cause if we budget for top 6 or higher & cup runs every year then Dempster & Weir need fucking shot. At this rate 1 season finishing bottom 6 would mean certain administration.

McCall is saying the right things but the fact is its bollocks,if our budget is cut we will not keep 1 single player who is OOC. Our squad is already the smallest in the league so we need to replace every body that leaves. To keep them we'd need to offer a higher wage,doing that would probably mean 1 less player. At this rate we are gonna end up with a squad of U20's, the same players who have been getting roasted by 4 or 5 nearly every week in the reserve league! We need balance or we risk damaging these kids before they start!

It's a buyers market these days with many more good players than there are first team starting slots - thanks to every league slashing squad sizes. McCall was not only comfortable with the budget before he signed on for a couple more years, but also feels he can hang on to a few of the current out-of-contractors.

If you follow the club's financial communication they have been up front about this all along. We made a nice wee profit 2 years ago, but expected to make a loss this past year. And let's not pretend that losing Sevco hasn't hurt us financially - but for me, that has been a price worth paying.

The gaffer says he is being inundated with calls and DVDs from agents down south and some other SPL clubs. They obviously know our wage situation, but it doesn't seem to be putting them off. McCall has also spoken about how we offer decent win bonuses, and our success this season has meant a lot of money going into the players' pockets. The downside to that is it has cost more than expected.

Will be interesting to see, however, if all the folks who said "I'll happily watch us if our team was all youngsters as long as Rangers don't get into the SPL" are as adamant about it now.

All in all, like I said in an earlier post, this has been the plan for quite some time now, so it's not a surprise. Everyone in the league is in the same boat and I'm much more comfortable with the Board taking this approach than spending money we don't (or might not) have.

Well we should not be putting money out for faddy's wages then, nor players from England or Jamaica, we clearly can't afford them and if the succsess they bring the club does not help financially it makes no sense to have them!

Not sure if it was true but it was stated on here that Faddy's wages were being met put of the pocket of a couple of the directors and in this day and age players from all countries are all over the place so I don't think we are paying any extra than if we would have got a scottish player.

to be honest I am not sure how we actually make it through each season. Although Money comes from other sources I would have to think that the main stay is punters paying to come watch. Sadly even although Motherwell have been playing well and relatively successful there are just not enough people interested to shell out the cost of going to a football match. Although we gt moeny for european games i wonder how much they have to actually spend on flights and hotels etc for the away games. Not cheap I am sure.

I am sure no one is pocketing any money and I am sure they are doing all that can be done not to squander money so all in all I am not sur that much blame if any can be laid at the feet of the board. Perhaps they deserve credit for keeping us going??

It's a buyers market these days with many more good players than there are first team starting slots - thanks to every league slashing squad sizes. McCall was not only comfortable with the budget before he signed on for a couple more years, but also feels he can hang on to a few of the current out-of-contractors.

If you follow the club's financial communication they have been up front about this all along. We made a nice wee profit 2 years ago, but expected to make a loss this past year. And let's not pretend that losing Sevco hasn't hurt us financially - but for me, that has been a price worth paying.

The gaffer says he is being inundated with calls and DVDs from agents down south and some other SPL clubs. They obviously know our wage situation, but it doesn't seem to be putting them off. McCall has also spoken about how we offer decent win bonuses, and our success this season has meant a lot of money going into the players' pockets. The downside to that is it has cost more than expected.

Will be interesting to see, however, if all the folks who said "I'll happily watch us if our team was all youngsters as long as Rangers don't get into the SPL" are as adamant about it now.

All in all, like I said in an earlier post, this has been the plan for quite some time now, so it's not a surprise. Everyone in the league is in the same boat and I'm much more comfortable with the Board taking this approach than spending money we don't (or might not) have.

It is a buyers market your right and I reckon we will find more than a few decent players but were gonna have to cause I just can't see any way we can afford to keep any of the OOC guys.

Losing Rangers has hurt but surely with the Abdn cup game & replay and Rangers cup gate plus 2 bumper euro gates AND an unexpected 3rd Celtic game added to the extra cash for finishing 2nd has offset that and more! I'm just concerned how bad shape we will be in next year if we don't finish 2 nd or 3rd again,that seriously could be curtains for us as without financial backup were ripe for admin!

The biggest pisser is this tho,Every fucking year we have success we immediately rip out the feel good factor by announcing the budget will be cut,this guy is leaving,that guy is leaving etc. We had it before the cup final,lat year when we got 3rd and now after all but guarnteeing 2nd. Has anyone at the club ever heard of positive fucking spin?

• Like 1

Although Money comes from other sources I would have to think that the main stay is punters paying to come watch.

For the year ended 31 May last year about 33% of our income came from gate receipts. About 43% came from TV and radio, with the remainder coming from other sources. .

1367562472[/url]' post='381312']

The biggest pisser is this tho,Every fucking year we have success we immediately rip out the feel good factor by announcing the budget will be cut,this guy is leaving,that guy is leaving etc. We had it before the cup final,lat year when we got 3rd and now after all but guarnteeing 2nd. Has anyone at the club ever heard of positive fucking spin?

Exactly, we get this every single summer from the club, nothing but doom and gloom. Even last year when we were playing our first Champions League tie in our history there was not one bit of positive PR coming out of the club. And folk wonder why some fans are negative, miserable gits.

• Like 2

We have got fuck all money and have been losing money for years. Its the trned of most clubs in the SPL.

Most of the quality SPL players will be gone in a few years and we will soon be playing 1st Division quality in the SPL.

We need investment and a propoer TV deal that allows us to compete as some kind of level. Because if we don't then we will be at the same level as Conference in England.

• Like 1

the budget will be cut but we'll still have the funds to replace players.

randolph, law, hateley and humphrey are all on good money. saunders and daley's wages will be available, maybe hutchy and higdon. it'll be down to whether we stick with out model of paying a few relatively high wages or change to the model of kilie and st johnstone with more players on smaller wages.

I quite like the way we do it, with a small squad, but the majority on decent money, rather than a bigger squad of a poorer standard.

I suppose we have been lucky that we are rarely missing key players, and never for long. 2 or 3 bad injuries would really hamper us.

I'm not saying we should be splashing the cash, just feel we are being told the club are skint all the time, almost as if its to lower expectations and prepare us for the worst.

Things are going well, we should be selling all the positives, especially around season ticket renewal time!

For the year ended 31 May last year about 33% of our income came from gate receipts. About 43% came from TV and radio, with the remainder coming from other sources. .

Cheers Kmcalpin I was purely speculating. Obviously a contributing factor to the fact that gate receipts are only 33% is the size of the crowds. Not sure what we, as a club, can do to increase the TV money. The remaining 24% perhaps we can do something there but I would think probably not, unless we got a huge sponsorship deal. So I think it brings you back to the question of how do you get people through the turnstyles to get bigger crowds helping to increase that 33%.

Part of that seems to be the dwindling away support coming to Fir park. Although, like us, many of the teams in the league don't even have a great home support. So I am not sure what the club can do to get the crowds up.

Part of that seems to be the dwindling away support coming to Fir park. Although, like us, many of the teams in the league don't even have a great home support. So I am not sure what the club can do to get the crowds up.

I think in Scottish football in general the away fan is a completely neglected market/customer. We are better than most, but it's a pretty dear day out for the away fan!

Perhaps offering a cheaper ticket, and some reasonably priced family packages we could entice folk along? A lot of fans go to a handful of away games a season, we should be doing everything we can to make Motherwell away the 1st date on the calendar when the fixtures come out!

Not so much responding to the points about the budget, more the perception about a lack of positive spin. Perhaps one or two are mistaking a lack of positive spin with a lack of what they personally want to hear.

A couple of lines from the Chief-Executive's message on the official website and in the season ticket renewal packs...

It is fair to say that we have had another terrific season both on and off the pitch.

...one of the most memorable league campaigns in recent memory.

'Well Society membership is growing by the day and with every member the Society moves closer to taking full control of the club.

Throughout the season our supporters have travelled really well and at times have been some of the loudest and most vocal supporters in the SPL.

We have once again frozen our standard season prices from last year

Your money enables the club to plan and budget for the season ahead. This means that the manager and his team get the best possible opportunity to bring in and also keep players at Fir Park. Without your support it would be near impossible for us to continue to operate at the level we have achieved in recent years so your contribution is vital.

Everyone who knows and loves Motherwell will tell you it is a special Club. You need to be part of it to get that. So all of us need to do everything we can to get others involved so we can reach our full potential on and off the pitch.

Lack of positive spin you say?

• Like 4

Just as an aside as well, the £220,000 we get for European Competitions isn't profit, more expenses, surely? Unless we booked everyone up on Ryanair and stuck them in tents (Although, we could've done the tents in Athens, doubt anyone would've noticed), we'll be paying for that out of the Europa money. so surely, the money we actually get will be far less?

Just as an aside as well, the £220,000 we get for European Competitions isn't profit, more expenses, surely? Unless we booked everyone up on Ryanair and stuck them in tents (Although, we could've done the tents in Athens, doubt anyone would've noticed), we'll be paying for that out of the Europa money. so surely, the money we actually get will be far less?

The regulation/custom is that home teams pay the expenses (however they are defined) of the visiting teams.

That doesn't make much difference- just means we've paid for Levante and Panathinaikos' flights and digs instead of our own.

Yep! either way you're forking out a lot of dosh!!

edit: although it seems strange they would make teams pay for each other. Not sure I see the logic in that one.

Some people need to get real here. The league has no sponsor so that means the prize pot next year is going to drop significantly so this means that wherever Motherwell finish in the league their income is going to be down on this year. Now it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you run a break even business and you predict a loss in turnover then you need to cut your costs.

Do you actually think that the club are cutting the budget for anything other than keeping the club solvent? Honestly people need to get a grip and stop moaning for the sake of moaning.

I have been critical of the club in recent months but I will not criticise them for making steps that will keep our club solvent.

• Like 2