Motherwell V Aberdeen 25/1/14

postiejim

I said to someone during the week that I felt our goalkeeper(s) would cost us a European place and I think that has been vindicated today.

Looked like it may have been a handball for the second goal but shite goalkeeping and a decision to sit on a one goal lead cost us today.

Ainsworth looks to have been signed on the basis that given what he offers in the final third, the team will accommodate his inability to track back. While we miss the work ethic of Humphrey, it's a fair compromise of sorts at our level if he continues to create goals.

ZFA on the other hand, is he slower than he looks? He's racked up a number of assists this season but he doesn't seem to be developing much of an understanding when it comes to positional sense and reading of the game.

All in we deserved no more than a point. The only part of the game we were in the ascendancy was the first ten minutes of the second half. However it is an absolute sickener the way it happened.

First half was scrappy. I hear McInnes thinks Hutchinson should have been sent off for the tackle on Jack - I didn't even think it was a foul. Lasley booked, possibly correctly and then Flood commits an identical offence and isn't.

McFadden's chance after Angol's run down the left was the best chance in the half but it was a tough one and I don't think we could have expected a goal.

Second half and Aberdeen concede a cheap corner and then didn't mark McManus and boom we led 1-0.

We then buzzed about for ten minutes and really had we nicked a 2nd in that spell I think we could have kicked on and won comfortably. But Aberdeen grew and grew and the leveller they got was no more than they deserved. Kerr going off put us under a lot of pressure as Carswell v McGinn was a total mismatch.

Lots of mistakes in the first goal and whilst Neilsen's will get the headlines he should never have had to make a save in the first place.

Then when I feared it would be 25 minutes of hanging on for a draw, we scored again and what a goal it was. Still not sure if it was Angol or Sutton but the work that went before it was outstanding.

Aberdeen pushed on again and inevitably equalised. I thought Steven McLean was south of useless today but I think the handball was hard to spot as there were seventeen players within ten yards and in keeping his distance to let the game play he looks like he was unsighted and Neilsen was blocking the assistant's view. Shit break but I actually don't blame him for it. Doesn't make it any less of a kick in the stones though.

However, they won two uncontested headers in that goal as well as goalie grappling fresh air, think there is more than enough we could have done better without concerning ourselves about Steven McLean's inadequacies of which there were many.

I said before this one that I thought the most crucial thing was not to lose and although it feels sore just now we have a game in hand on them and no Celtic to deal with between now and the split. We're still in a damn good place and a big home game v Thistle next.

• Like 2

Aberdeen pushed on again and inevitably equalised. I thought Steven McLean was south of useless today but I think the handball was hard to spot as there were seventeen players within ten yards and in keeping his distance to let the game play he looks like he was unsighted and Neilsen was blocking the assistant's view. Shit break but I actually don't blame him for it. Doesn't make it any less of a kick in the stones though.

I reckon this snap was taking from quite a distance and can clearly see thru the melee. Been so frustrating this season with quite a number of game changing decisions going against us. I would have been more than happy to settle for a point before the game but certainly was a boot in the stones in the manner we conceded the two goals.

cheatingprick.JPG

I reckon this snap was taking from quite a distance and can clearly see thru the melee. Been so frustrating this season with quite a number of game changing decisions going against us. I would have been more than happy to settle for a point before the game but certainly was a boot in the stones in the manner we conceded the two goals.

cheatingprick.JPG

The 1st thing i noticed in that picture is that Neilsen is nowhere to be seen ffs..#weneedanewkeepernow

They didn't mention on the radio it was a handball, an absolute sickener if that's the case. Hopefully we can kick on and give Partick a doing in a few weeks! Aberdeen's next few games are certainly winnable, but then again so are ours.

Sounds like Neilsen was shite again today. Feel really sorry for the big lad, but hopefully we can get someone in ASAP as it could cost us big time.

I think the fact that they dirty sheep shaggers are delighted to be leaving Fir Park with a point shows where we are right now. They arseholes have a much larger wage bill a bigger stadium and a glory hunting fanbase that would put the ugly sisters to shame ! And yet they are still delighted to leave Lanarkshire with a point ! Until this year we had them on the mantlepiece so lets let them have their moments against us cause we've had some belting memories against them the last few years !

I think the fact that they dirty sheep shaggers are delighted to be leaving Fir Park with a point shows where we are right now. They arseholes have a much larger wage bill a bigger stadium and a glory hunting fanbase that would put the ugly sisters to shame ! And yet they are still delighted to leave Lanarkshire with a point ! Until this year we had them on the mantlepiece so lets let them have their moments against us cause we've had some belting memories against them the last few years !

Erm, just a reality check here, but in the 4 games played since McInnes took over, Aberdeen have pretty much had the beating of us in every one of them. We were schooled in the first, stifled in the second, nicked the third and we looked like the away side for significant bits of today.

The result at Pittodrie was very welcome but the general consensus was we rode our luck. Aberdeen today were again the better team even if our two goals were clinical, other than Faddy's effort how many other times did we trouble Langfield?

FYI that fan base allows them to have a much larger wage bill. They are leaving delighted as they scrambled a goal late in injury time that gives them something from the game and didn't have up leapfrog them by 2 with the potential to go 5 ahead.

I can't help but feel the those two points dropped today will be regretted in mid May. Last year the final prize money was as follows (I doubt there will be much change this season):

1 £2,405,000 (-£315,000)

2 £1,718,000 (-£682,000)

3 £1,460,000 (-£60,000)

4 £1,289,000 (-£71,000)

5 £1,203,000 (-£77,000)

6 £1,117,000 (-£83,000)

I don't think its presumptuous for most of us to think we'll be competing in or around the top end of this. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is £250k, that would go a long way to make up for expensive trips to Russia, missing out of a cup semi and 3rd round exit of the Scottish Cup. As I'm sure we all agree, treading water opposed to further cloth cutting is what the management require.

Erm, just a reality check here, but in the 4 games played since McInnes took over, Aberdeen have pretty much had the beating of us in every one of them. We were schooled in the first, stifled in the second, nicked the third and we looked like the away side for significant bits of today.

The result at Pittodrie was very welcome but the general consensus was we rode our luck. Aberdeen today were again the better team even if our two goals were clinical, other than Faddy's effort how many other times did we trouble Langfield?

FYI that fan base allows them to have a much larger wage bill. They are leaving delighted as they scrambled a goal late in injury time that gives them something from the game and didn't have up leapfrog them by 2 with the potential to go 5 ahead.

I can't help but feel the those two points dropped today will be regretted in mid May. Last year the final prize money was as follows (I doubt there will be much change this season):

1 £2,405,000 (-£315,000)

2 £1,718,000 (-£682,000)

3 £1,460,000 (-£60,000)

4 £1,289,000 (-£71,000)

5 £1,203,000 (-£77,000)

6 £1,117,000 (-£83,000)

I don't think its presumptuous for most of us to think we'll be competing in or around the top end of this. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is £250k, that would go a long way to make up for expensive trips to Russia, missing out of a cup semi and 3rd round exit of the Scottish Cup. As I'm sure we all agree, treading water opposed to further cloth cutting is what the management require.

Outside Celtic they have been our toughest opponents and certainly I on paper have the best squad. However, I dont think there is much between us at all. In the first league game, although they were better looking going forward, we gifted them 2 penalties and were off the back of a european game. We dont give them 2 penalties it probably finishes a draw.

At the cup game, we had more possession, more shots and more corners and hit the bar. If that shot goes in its a different story. We should have won that game. Game ip there recently we nicked. Yesterday, draw wad a fair result but, again, we should have won.

1 £2,405,000 (-£315,000)

2 £1,718,000 (-£682,000)

3 £1,460,000 (-£60,000)

4 £1,289,000 (-£71,000)

5 £1,203,000 (-£77,000)

6 £1,117,000 (-£83,000)

Far too much football still to be played for this game to mean too much.

If we can continue this fine form then I think we wil be up there by the end of the season.

it should be an exciting end to the season anyway and some game up there if were still close in the top six.

the difference between the teams is they are much fitter than us which gives them the advantage as the game wears on. if we get them with fully fit squad and decent weather later in the season i think we'll take them. if kerr hadn't gotten injured yesterday i think we would have beat them.

it should be an exciting end to the season anyway and some game up there if were still close in the top six.

the difference between the teams is they are much fitter than us which gives them the advantage as the game wears on. if we get them with fully fit squad and decent weather later in the season i think we'll take them. if kerr hadn't gotten injured yesterday i think we would have beat them.

Aye, I would agree with that. They are a bit faster and a bit stronger which maybe points to the amount of last minute goals they have scored.

I haven't seen a re-run on Alba but whilst coming away from the ground obviously hugely disappointed to have conceded at the death, was quietly satisfied at how we did.

A glance at the team lines pre-match, in particular the strength of the respective benches, showed differences in depth and options between the sides, but despite the respective up and downsizing of each side, we still we remain of the ability to go toe-to-toe with Aberdeen.

I would concede they shaded it over the piece in terms of possession and chances but in contrast to the beginning of the season we do look like we have goals in us and that's a great weapon to have in your armoury, particularly when you might be up against it or on the back foot.

We were culpable in part for both goals conceded but little surprise that Steven McLean played a part also. It was keeping with being oblivious to the numerous times there were arms all over Sutton and the elbow on Carswell that he would miss the goings on in the box in the decisive last moments.

But the key thing was to make sure we didn't lose and the gap wasn't extended over us and we've achieved that.

I don't know what the club's plans are for the next couple of weeks, whether there's an intention to take them elsewhere for training - having read that they've almost continually been training on an artificial surface recently - but it'll hopefully allow Vigurs, Ramsden and Kerr to be available, or getting towards being available by the time our next fixture rolls around.

Aberdeen look good it has to be said, but it's their first decent season in 15 to 20 years and they're still only a point ahead of us!

Plenty of fitba still to be played and I'm just happy to be involved in the mix at the right end of the table again (which given the players we lost in the summer is even more remarkable)

If Aberdeen keep this up though McInnes (who is a fucking walloper by the way) will be off down South again and their deluded fans who have come out the woodwork cos they've strung a couple of results together will disappear again.

As an aside, for me, Anier has to start with either Faddy or Sutton.

• Like 1

There's no doubt that Motherwell have set the bar for the 'best of the rest' in the last few seasons and with their comparatively large resources, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen (and even Hibs), have been spending money we can only dream of to try and overtake us.

It's testament to the club that even after losing some key players and another drop in our budget, we are still in the mix at the right end of the table.

A draw was probably about a fair result yesterday, if a bit of a sickener. I was watcing it "as live" on Alba yesterday and, Motherwell being Motherwell, when I saw Kerr going off, I thought to myself "I bet Aberdeen score in injury time now".

I think Aberdeen are a bit better than us this term. I've seen them three times and I felt they out performed us three times. That's not a fluke. Also, a glance at their squad shows they have a lot more quality and quantity than we have. They've struggled for a centre forward but I think the signing of Adam Rooney is a real coup and they will push on now.

I'm not writing us off for second place but I think if we do do it this season it will have been a much bigger achievement than last season.

Just an a-side on something I've not seen mentioned yet. Rooney had been yellow-carded for a challenge in the middle of the park just prior to his goal. On scoring the goal he runs up jumps the advertising hoardings & runs up towards the Dons fans. Personally I don't think that should be a booking & quite happy when one of our players does the same but do the rules not state that is an automatic yellow card & therefore he should have been sent off obviously? Someone keep me right with that ruling?

On the game itself, personally would have taken a draw before the game & although gutted at losing the goal in that manner that late in the game I think realistically a point for Aberdeen was well-merited based on the balance of play.

What is impressing me (Celtic game apart) is that we seem to be pretty clinical over the last month or two, maybe not creating loads of chances but by & large finishing a real good percentage of the one's we do.

Sod all that they deserved a draw shite .If we had a half decent keeper in goals yesterday we would have got the three points .Same mistakes keep reoccurring ...Parry the ball to the opposition player and absolutely lost at crosses .Keepers fault we drew but we are stuck with him . The rest of the team played well against a good Dons team

Sod all that they deserved a draw shite .If we had a half decent keeper in goals yesterday we would have got the three points .Same mistakes keep reoccurring ...Parry the ball to the opposition player and absolutely lost at crosses .Keepers fault we drew but we are stuck with him . The rest of the team played well against a good Dons team

Watch the highlights later. When you see the chances they had you'll see why they deserved a point. Shite as it is losing a late goal in those circumstances you've got to look at the full 90 plus minutes. We've had 3 chances & scored 2 goals. They've had a lot more & only scored 2 as well. No' the worst result in the world all things considered.