Goalkeeping Situation

Mitch

Now that's just pish.

Just watch the goal again.

Maybe he should have held or parried in a different direction, yes.

But get up and follow the ball - impossible.

Following the dodgy parry - I'm sad to say 'failure to react' award goes to hammell. If he matches Rooney's run in he might not get a clear header.

I have kept out of this so far but what a ridiculous statement, deflecting some of the blame for a very poor save to others in the team. Hammell is 8 yards or so away from Rooney when the shot comes in, facing away from goal. Impossible to affect the way things went.

• Like 2

I have kept out of this so far but what a ridiculous statement, deflecting some of the blame for a very poor save to others in the team. Hammell is 8 yards or so away from Rooney when the shot comes in, facing away from goal. Impossible to affect the way things went.

Which in itself was poor defending. But he wasn't the only one.

I don't think it was as poor as some are contesting

• Like 1

Tim Howard having a bit of a 'mare against Liverpool I wonder if the Everton fans will be starting a thread to get rid of him and get a 3rd choice keeper in from the championship

Probably not, considering Tim Howard is a proven top class goalkeeper with over 300 Premier League appearences for Manchester United and Everton, nearly 100 international caps for a good US team that has had numerous quality keepers whilst he has been playing for them and the reality that Tim Howard having bad games is a relatively rare occurance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You know, the Gunnar situation could actually be the making of Hollis.

Hollis came into an impossible situation, standing between the sticks straight after Ruddy and Randolph. Add to that, the fact that 2/3s of the team infront of him were new recruits still to find some familiarity then he was always onto a thankless task.

Now however he can come back in after injury, the fans might have a fresh perspective given Gunnars performances of late, the team seem to know each other better…… you never know, this could now be his chance to step up, not be judged against Randolph, and actually have a reasonable team infront of him.

Or am I clutching at straws???

You know, the Gunnar situation could actually be the making of Hollis.

Hollis came into an impossible situation, standing between the sticks straight after Ruddy and Randolph. Add to that, the fact that 2/3s of the team infront of him were new recruits still to find some familiarity then he was always onto a thankless task.

Now however he can come back in after injury, the fans might have a fresh perspective given Gunnars performances of late, the team seem to know each other better…… you never know, this could now be his chance to step up, not be judged against Randolph, and actually have a reasonable team infront of him.

Or am I clutching at straws???

I think now being the preferred option amongst the majority of fans will be good for his confidence, however it shouldn't really matter as (in my opinion) his performances have been decent to pretty good. Up to his injury I'm sure the number of goals conceded in the league was less than Randolph's in a similar space of time last year.

Was the goalie at fault for our league cup defeat to Aberdeen? I wasn't at the game so never seen the goals.

He certainly didn't cover himself in glory for their first goal. It was an outswinging corner to about six or seven yards and he - like the rest of the defence I might add - stood rooted to the spot until the ball hit the back of the net. That was the league cup...

In the league Nielsen undoubtedly cost us crucial points against our closest rivals for second place. Again, that was Aberdeen.

He certainly didn't cover himself in glory for their first goal. It was an outswinging corner to about six or seven yards and he - like the rest of the defence I might add - stood rooted to the spot until the ball hit the back of the net. That was the league cup...

In the league Nielsen undoubtedly cost us crucial points against our closest rivals for second place. Again, that was Aberdeen.

Aye, and you know what really will help? People constantly going on about it...

I think we need to look at the bigger picture this season. We have two inexperienced goalkeeper on our books. Hollis is set at first choice and for the first part of the season does a good job. He then gets injured and Gunnar comes in and looks a bit flappy. He then gets injured and we bring in the boy from Dundee who perform really well in his 5 games with us. He leaves and Gunnar is back in.

How many seasons have we had to use 3 different keepers?

The point I am making is that none of them have been in the team long enough to form a strong partnership with the defence which may in turn be the reason for some if the recent mistakes.

Also it's a nonsense to blame the keeper for our current league position and exit from the cups. It's the whole team.

• Like 1

Hollis lasted 45mins of the under 20s game on Tuesday. After 30mins he got the defenders taking the by-kicks so guessed he had pulled something. Was solid enough looking against a pretty strong st mirren team!

Young lad that played the second half looked not bed too, Currie I believe? Although sure he only looked 14/15 though!

Hollis lasted 45mins of the under 20s game on Tuesday. After 30mins he got the defenders taking the by-kicks so guessed he had pulled something. Was solid enough looking against a pretty strong st mirren team!

Young lad that played the second half looked not bed too, Currie I believe? Although sure he only looked 14/15 though!

He's 16 apparently (according to the official site). Turns 17 in March.

Was a good performance from the boy.