Goalkeeping Situation

Mitch

I'm hearing that Lee Hollis has suffered a broken finger and is out until after the split...

Surely not.....if so he is a f#ckin jinx....fit for 2 games out for 10 and so on...shame if true....

The thought of Neilsen back in goals gives me the fear.

Hope we will be allowed an emergency loan

Surely the emergency loan would be allowed as we would only have one fit first team keeper?

We have one first team keeper and backup U20 (who was on the bench last week). Typically, you get an emergency loan when you have no first team keepers.

We HAVE to give our u20 keeper a chance if Hollis is out. No way can Gunnar be trusted again.

He's normally been OK from the U20 highlights I have seen, but he literally dropped a clanger in the Falkirk game last night. Put his name on a cross, and then floppy hands took over for Falkirk's 3rd.

He's normally been OK from the U20 highlights I have seen, but he literally dropped a clanger in the Falkirk game last night. Put his name on a cross, and then floppy hands took over for Falkirk's 3rd.

He also made a blunder a few weeks ago against Dunfermline by letting a harmless shot trundle into the net. He's not ready for first team football. In time maybe just not now.

1394652598[/url]' post='407543']

He also made a blunder a few weeks ago against Dunfermline by letting a harmless shot trundle into the net. He's not ready for first team football. In time maybe just not now.

I'd still give him his chance. Nielsen's had more than his fair share of opportunities this season and has failed to look anything other than completely unreliable so what harm can it do to at least give Stewart a couple of games in the first team?

I'd still give him his chance. Nielsen's had more than his fair share of opportunities this season and has failed to look anything other than completely unreliable so what harm can it do to at least give Stewart a couple of games in the first team?

It could ruin his confidence, set his progress back months and cost us points.

That's the risk. The management team has to decide if the return is worth it.

1394666223[/url]' post='407556']

It could ruin his confidence, set his progress back months and cost us points.

That's the risk. The management team has to decide if the return is worth it.

I can understand that but that's the gamble every manager has to take when handing a young player their full first team debut. It could go two ways, either as you say he doesn't have the best of times and it ruins his confidence and progress or he hits the ground running and his confidence soars. However given that our only other goalkeeping option has proved time and again this season that he is just not up to the job then perhaps this is a gamble worth taking.

I can understand that but that's the gamble every manager has to take when handing a young player their full first team debut. It could go two ways, either as you say he doesn't have the best of times and it ruins his confidence and progress or he hits the ground running and his confidence soars. However given that our only other goalkeeping option has proved time and again this season that he is just not up to the job then perhaps this is a gamble worth taking.

The other factor are our fans. They have been brutal in their support (or lack of) for both our keepers. If the youngster makes the same kind of mistake he made against Falkirk, there are plenty that would rip him a new one.

• Like 1

Speaking as a passionate boo boy myself (apparently) I would have to say that I would be far more patient towards a young player coming in from the U20s making mistakes than I would someone that has been scouted, brought in with a reputation and paid (relatively) big money.

• Like 1

He's a kid and he makes the mistakes of an inexperienced keeper (that cost goals). The problem is, unlike outfield players, you can't really bring him on for 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there during a game to build up experience. Having seen him (albeit from highlights of the U20s) I'm not convinced he's ready for the step up yet.

Not my call though, and whoever ends up between the sticks will get my support - even if it's the fans' favourite Neilsen ("the best option", "get him in now instead of Hollis", etc. etc.)

Hopefully, we will have more first team regulars back in the defence, as I think that will make a big difference too.