Motherwell V Hearts 01/03/14

Yabba's Turd

Our season isn't over. If it was over then we would have played youngsters against Utd & Saints.

We'll go out and attempt to get the three points like we always do. As everyone really knows - the higher the league placing the greater the prize money. That's why rightly or wrongly, we've continued with barely fit lasley & Carswell.

It's been a struggle this season, what with our budget and an imbalance to the squad and a reduction in quality in key positions. This coupled with the resurgence of the dons and united, with a strong saints and ICT - so sitting third is, in my view, an excellent achievement given the circumstances.

Many used to argue the football is unimportant - it's the results and the league placings that count. Perversely were now saying that this season has been a disaster - we're throwing away the league position and results in the argument and placing more importance on our goal difference stat and dips in form.

We should have enough to overcome Hearts in our efforts to get as high up the league as we can.

We may have some positions we need to strengthen in the summer that McCall will be painfully aware of. We might be making some errors of judgement in team selection, injuries, formation etc. but I'm pretty sure we're gonna play till the last kick of the ball to be as high up the table as we can. I'm not saying that I agree with everything McCall does, far from it in fact. However we all too easily dismiss how difficult the job at MFC is.

There's Tons still to play for. (Thousands in fact £)

Now, more than ever. Come on The Well!

• Like 8

I don't think there's that much between our two keepers btw. Unfortunately we just need to get behind them. Giving either a roasting ain't gonna help anything

An admirable assumption, unfortunately the reality is different.

Nielsen is consistently costing us points and goals against. This is a bare bones of it. We are now at the stage where we must score at least a couple to take results in any game because he is likely to cause at least one goal. Hollis is solid enough in comparison and despite his size, commands his box better than a near 2 meter tall keeper does. Eventually a tipping point will happen given the poor performance of Nielsen over the course of the season. I would assume almost all fans of Motherwell, be it those who go home and away, Fir Park regulars and TV viewers will be wanting Hollis in as soon as possible and judging by McCall's reactions to Nielsen last night, I would expect Hollis to be between the sticks on Saturday if he's fit.

If Hollis isn't fit then I really hope McCall plays Ross Stewart instead. He's got to drop Neilsen. Also calls for Jack Leitch to come in ahead of Carswell, but can't see McCall doing that. Hope he brings Ainsworth back in too.

Would try Anier & McFadden up front as well.

3-1 to Motherwell. Lasley, Hutchy & Ainsworth scoring. Huge game, especially with Caley and Dundee Utd having tricky games.

If Hollis isn't fit then I really hope McCall plays Ross Stewart instead. He's got to drop Neilsen. Also calls for Jack Leitch to come in ahead of Carswell, but can't see McCall doing that. Hope he brings Ainsworth back in too.

Would try Anier & McFadden up front as well.

3-1 to Motherwell. Lasley, Hutchy & Ainsworth scoring. Huge game, especially with Caley and Dundee Utd having tricky games.

Following 20's game on Twatter, Hollis in goals.

Jack Leitch not in squad, so maybe keeping him for Saturday, just hope SM isn't thinking about putting him in at LB as Hammy and ZFA are struggling (from last night's interview).

Our season isn't over. If it was over then we would have played youngsters against Utd & Saints.

We'll go out and attempt to get the three points like we always do. As everyone really knows - the higher the league placing the greater the prize money. That's why rightly or wrongly, we've continued with barely fit lasley & Carswell.

It's been a struggle this season, what with our budget and an imbalance to the squad and a reduction in quality in key positions. This coupled with the resurgence of the dons and united, with a strong saints and ICT - so sitting third is, in my view, an excellent achievement given the circumstances.

Many used to argue the football is unimportant - it's the results and the league placings that count. Perversely were now saying that this season has been a disaster - we're throwing away the league position and results in the argument and placing more importance on our goal difference stat and dips in form.

We should have enough to overcome Hearts in our efforts to get as high up the league as we can.

We may have some positions we need to strengthen in the summer that McCall will be painfully aware of. We might be making some errors of judgement in team selection, injuries, formation etc. but I'm pretty sure we're gonna play till the last kick of the ball to be as high up the table as we can. I'm not saying that I agree with everything McCall does, far from it in fact. However we all too easily dismiss how difficult the job at MFC is.

There's Tons still to play for. (Thousands in fact £)

Now, more than ever. Come on The Well!

i don't think our season is over but we didn't play any youngsters in the dead games at the end of the previous two seasons so i don't expect it to happen this season if we fall out of contention for europe. the st johnstone game on the final day of last season was a perfect prolouge for this season.

the standard of football this season has been worse than since malpas was in charge and possibly even lower. in terms of entertainment i'd say it is my worst ever and it's extra galling because we have wasted so much money on mcfadden, neilsen, lawson, vigurs, ainsworth, mchugh and cummins. it should have been well within the scope of a half decent manager to build a team which could compete and entertain in this league.

• Like 1

If Hollis isn't fit then I really hope McCall plays Ross Stewart instead.

I really don't know that Ross Stewart is ready to make the step up. It's a whole different ball game for goalies compared to other positions and given how quick our fans turn against their own players, it could do his confidence some damage.

It wasn't that a long a number of posters were saying how they didn't care what effect it had on player quality and budgets as long as we upheld sporting integrity and kept Sevco out of the top flight.

Honeymoon is over on that one.

• Like 1

Yet here we are sitting 3rd with more points than it took last seasons team to achieve in 30 games.

With hindsight your argument is spot on Steel boy, but to a man who on here was disappointed when we signed Faddy for this season? He did well last season and McCall would likely think he would be in a position to replicate that. Same goes for Lawson and Vigurs, both performing well in a decent Ross County team. Ainsworth has scored a number of crucial goals and was outstanding in the home game v St Johnston, so we know he has that in his locker.

Fact is we are struggling with squad depth, players playing with injuries and a goalkeeper that is proving a liability. It is a perfect storm and has been our undoing the last 2 games. We have 4 home games from 5 coming up in March that will make or break our season. We need to hope the players shake injuries, find their form and we can hopefully kick on. Right now I am nor sure which way it will go.

i was pleased when faddy signed but we all thought he would get his fitness up to a reasonable standard and that hasn't happened, maybe mccall/porteous should have forseen this maybe they couldn't. i'd say faddy was a gamble worth taking but it hasn't paid off and i'll be disappointed if we resign him.

i disagree about vigurs and lawson, ross county were a very ordinary team who utilised negative tactics and were able to take advantage of hearts, hibs, dundee united and aberdeen going into meltdown 12 months ago. ainsworth upping his efforts at the end of his loan period wasn't a surprise and neither has his regression been.

it is the overall squad that is flawed. they are too old, too slow and there isn't enough creativity. that will have to be addressed in the summer but for now we need to get organised, protect the back four and try and scrap our way to a european place.

i don't think our season is over but we didn't play any youngsters in the dead games at the end of the previous two seasons so i don't expect it to happen this season if we fall out of contention for europe. the st johnstone game on the final day of last season was a perfect prolouge for this season.

the standard of football this season has been worse than since malpas was in charge and possibly even lower. in terms of entertainment i'd say it is my worst ever and it's extra galling because we have wasted so much money on mcfadden, neilsen, lawson, vigurs, ainsworth, mchugh and cummins. it should have been well within the scope of a half decent manager to build a team which could compete and entertain in this league.

I'm well aware that at least 99% of your posts are designed to get a reaction out of others but this post is utter pish even for you! As has been pointed out, hindsight is a wonderful thing but even with hindsight we have basically re-built our team this season and sit 3rd in the league, still well in with a chance of finishing 2nd... what would it take for you to actually be satisfied?

There have been a fair few low points over the season as far as performances go but there have also been some definite high points as well as a fair few battling performances to dig out 3 points (which Aberdeen have done in many of their games too!). To compare this season to the Malpas days can only be designed to get a bite and fair play you've managed it but you really do talk baws.

• Like 1