2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

From the Dundee game, I thought Ojamaa was trying to do the same thing. The issue was that any time he did get in position there was nobody within a country mile of him to offer support. Several other players had the same problem at times as well.

I agree though, Clarkson did look impressive, but there's no way to tell if he would have doing anywhere near as well in a thoroughly disjointed Motherwell team.

As far as I am aware he was given use of training facilities and I would imagine us looking at him was more out of courtesy than actively pursuing him with the intention of signing him.

He should have said nothing... except to say that we are only helping him with training facilities and we have no intention of signing him. We have helped ex players in the past in the understanding that we would not be signing them. McCall gave the impression that Clarkston was a little different from the usual courtesy training thing.

My only concern when considering to re-sign Clarkson was whether he would be any good. Would he be the same player that left us 5 years ago etc...That question was answered in spades last Saturday. Maybe Clarkson wasn't exactly what McCall was looking for at the time but if he trained and looked like that that in the summer then surely McCall should've/could've thought he could've done a job of some description? The fact that he didn't gets even more unforgivable with each passing week and subsequent Clarkson goal.

But then if McCall had signed Clarkson we might not have been able to sign Law, Reid, McManus, Kerr or Twardzik eh? The vast majority of whom have been complete empty jerseys in the vast majority of games so far.

I'd go as far as to say I'd swap the entire list of players mentioned above (none of whom we would've missed) for Clarkson to be playing in a motherwell shirt right now.

So would McCall probably, it may well have been a signing that keeps him in a job. And us in the league.

• Like 3

My only concern when considering to re-sign Clarkson was whether he would be any good. Would he be the same player that left us 5 years ago etc...That question was answered in spades last Saturday. Maybe Clarkson wasn't exactly what McCall was looking for at the time but if he trained and looked like that that in the summer then surely McCall should've/could've thought he could've done a job of some description? The fact that he didn't gets even more unforgivable with each passing week and subsequent Clarkson goal.

But then if McCall had signed Clarkson we might not have been able to sign Law, Reid, McManus, Kerr or Twardzik eh? The vast majority of whom have been complete empty jerseys in the vast majority of games so far.

I'd go as far as to say I'd swap the entire list of players mentioned above (none of whom we would've missed) for Clarkson to be playing in a motherwell shirt right now.

So would McCall probably, it may well have been a signing that keeps him in a job. And us in the league.

Aye but in reality that's just not how it works is it?

We passed up the chance to sign Darren Barr and ended up signing O'Brien from Derby. Have we to make pointless comparisons of their recent performances too? Where does it stop.

Edit to add, see the Faddy V Josh Law thread for case in point.

On the face of it, I viewed Clarkson as a decent squad option until Moore returned from injury, with a view to McHugh going out on loan to facilitate the wage. As it turns out, he looks far sharper than I imagined but that will be partly down to Hartley's methods. Good luck to him.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the Clarkson situation, on top of Faddy's release, annoyed a few of our senior players.

McManus, the first to resign before Faddy left, was relatively vocal in the summer about needing a couple of quality additions.

Erwin deserved his chance over Clarkson every day of the week. If he didn't get a promoted to the first team squad this season, the U20s might as well pack up and go home.

Of course, nobody would have predicted Sutton would be as ineffective as he has been, but with him, Erwin and Moore on the books, it really didn't make as much sense as signing Ojamaa. It's easy to say Clarkson would have been a better option now (although 1 game against us is hardly a benchmark), but at the time, I didn't hear many complaining about Henrik's signing.

What weeyin says. But I would take Clarkson over McHugh any day of the week and that changes the whole dynamic of the squad, particularly with Erwins inexperience and the timing of Moore's return unsure. Problem is that crazy two year contract given to McHugh by our Manager and the fact that absolutely no-one wants him on loan......and I am led to believe every effort was made to get him back to QOS but they would not play ball. Speaks volumes.

Was doing a bit if moseying on Dundee Forums and P&B.

Some of the chat about Clarkson is infuriating.....

'His hold up play is excellant and his range of passing is visionary'

'Great strength and ability to link up play with others'

Hmmmm this doesn't sound like anything we have at the moment. Certainly not Sutton or McHugh that's for sure.

My workmate is the dundee cameraman and says the same. Apparently he links superbly with Harkins,his strength & link play is tremendous and he has really brought on Greg Stewart with his movement and work up top. He is desperate for them to offer Clarky a 2 year deal

This is an example of good man management by Hartley. After Clarkson had trained with Motherwell, Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone, Hartley brought him to Dens and put him on an individual training regime to get him in shape. Wee bit of faith from a former team mate.

He's also got McPake playing regularly again after he looked crippled at Hibs.

Well, the right wing is already reserved for a centre half, so Clarky in goals then....releasing Twardzic to take over at Centre Half with McManus moving to form a strike partnership with Lasley. Problem solved.

McManus should be left back LEFT BACK IN THE DRESSING ROOM I MEAN !!!!

These are the qualities with knew Clarkson would bring.

We had Sutton, Erwin, Moore and McHugh on the books when Clarkson was on trial, and we have Henrik on loan.

I'm pretty confident, at that stage, most Well fans would have chosen Ojamaa over Clarkson as an option. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd still prefer Ojamaa over Clarkson and would love to see Erwin/Ojamaa up front with Moore as an option off the bench.

Also notice there hasn't been much noise about Faddy after Friday's game.

We had Sutton, Erwin, Moore and McHugh on the books when Clarkson was on trial, and we have Henrik on loan.

I'm pretty confident, at that stage, most Well fans would have chosen Ojamaa over Clarkson as an option. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd still prefer Ojamaa over Clarkson and would love to see Erwin/Ojamaa up front with Moore as an option off the bench.

Also notice there hasn't been much noise about Faddy after Friday's game.

Ojamaa has scored 5 times in his last 42 starts for Motherwell and that sums it up for me. Ojamaa, good player that he is, is taking up a forward berth but doesn't contribute any goals.

For me, if you want to do well in football you need forwards that score goals and the seasons where we have done well we've had 2 or 3 players getting 10+ goals a season.

Sutton and Ojamaa have 3 goals between them in 18 starts. Clarkson has 5 goals in 4 starts.

For me Ojamaa should be playing off the left side and Vigurs in the middle, with someone that can actually score playing off Sutton or whoever the other striker is.

Ojamaa has scored 5 times in his last 42 starts for Motherwell and that sums it up for me. Ojamaa, good player that he is, is taking up a forward berth but doesn't contribute any goals.

For me, if you want to do well in football you need forwards that score goals and the seasons where we have done well we've had 2 or 3 players getting 10+ goals a season.

Sutton and Ojamaa have 3 goals between them in 18 starts. Clarkson has 5 goals in 4 starts.

For me Ojamaa should be playing off the left side and Vigurs in the middle, with someone that can actually score playing off Sutton or whoever the other striker is.

When Higgy was top scorer, who had the most assists in the league?

When Higgy was top scorer, who had the most assists in the league?

That season we had two good goalscorers in the side, Higdon and Murphy. There's not much point creating chances if there is no one to score them.

Anyway Ojamaa can create chances from elsewhere on the park, I wasn't advocating dropping him, just moving him so we have more firepower in the forward positions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are the chances of Ojamaa extending his loan deal till the end of the season?

Warsaw must be hell for him to even consider it,

and that depends if the board are reckless enough to sanction more losses in a gamble to survive.

but then, that depends on the mystery takeover bid or a freind of the club bailing us out

and that depends on the potential losses this season

and that......will be a whole lot worse on Monday 1st December than it was a few days earlier