2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Plus we replaced McFadden with Law, Anier with Ojamaa and Hutchinson with O'Brien.

I'd be OK with a mid-table finish this season if it means 3 or 4 youngsters have been blooded for first team football (or even selling on). Sometimes you need a step back to move forward.

I assume that Faddy, Clarkson and Pearson are still without clubs. Given performance in games we've played thus far, I'd be content to see any of them at Fir Park.

In my opinion this would be a step in the wrong direction as we really need to start bringing through more youngsters. A team can't move forward if they keep looking back.

Plus we replaced McFadden with Law, Anier with Ojamaa and Hutchinson with O'Brien.

I'd be OK with a mid-table finish this season if it means 3 or 4 youngsters have been blooded for first team football (or even selling on). Sometimes you need a step back to move forward.

Pretty much this. So long as we don't finish 11th it 12th.

Yeah, we really do need to start playing the youngsters. There's only so long you'll be successful with loan deals and picking up unknowns here & there. We have to concentrate on getting our youth system working, getting these guys playing and make sure we get some decent coin for them after a few years.

If that means a bit of a transitional period then so be it.

Its interesting that the three former players mentioned (Pearson, Faddy and Clarky) all cemented regular first team places before the age of 20 after it was forced upon us by administration and the young boys were thrown in to man up quick. Lasley and Hammell both made their mark around this time. Surely instead of bringing them back we should look at finding the next crop by playing the youth and give them a proper crack at the whip. If it means a poor league finish, so be it. If we give the young guys the game time then I'd take a 10th place finish right now.

Doubt it will happen though. McCall's reluctance to play youth and pressure on him to deliver top 6 finish for financial reasons - even though blooding youngsters could lead to sell on fees - means its sadly a pipe dream

Its interesting that the three former players mentioned (Pearson, Faddy and Clarky) all cemented regular first team places before the age of 20 after it was forced upon us by administration and the young boys were thrown in to man up quick. Lasley and Hammell both made their mark around this time. Surely instead of bringing them back we should look at finding the next crop by playing the youth and give them a proper crack at the whip. If it means a poor league finish, so be it. If we give the young guys the game time then I'd take a 10th place finish right now.

Doubt it will happen though. McCall's reluctance to play youth and pressure on him to deliver top 6 finish for financial reasons - even though blooding youngsters could lead to sell on fees - means its sadly a pipe dream

We finished 2nd bottom and bottom in those seasons. No point bringing through good youngsters if we are relegated and have to start a fire sale. We got lucky back then, we won't this time if the same thing happens.

I've said before and I'll say it again, we should brought through young players when we were doing well in the league.

Now confidence is down, our league position is poor, performances are bad and it's very difficult for young players to make an impact in a poor team. This idea that we can just throw young players into the situation we are in now is painfully naive.

Some of this reads a little like the kid that got a tablet, pool table, bike and an Xbox for Christmas but is still greetin' to his folks because he didn't get a selection box.

I really can't see it coming around too many times where there will be a set of circumstances that will allow for us to blood youngsters when things are going well, sell players at a tidy profit and yet still manage to finish in the top three, three seasons in a row.

You might sell lots of players for high prices, you might have a successful season or you might be able to blood a lot of youngsters but you'll be hard pushed to manage to do all three at once.

The more realistic scenario is that there are balancing acts to made along the way like knocking back some of the low offers we did receive for the likes of Hutchinson and Law and going with more senior pros in the hope of a higher finish whilst trying to bed in youngsters like Hutchinson, Carswell, ZFA and Moore over time along the way.

We finished 2nd bottom and bottom in those seasons. No point bringing through good youngsters if we are relegated and have to start a fire sale. We got lucky back then, we won't this time if the same thing happens.

Yeah, but this time we can bring youngsters into an experienced squad instead of loan signings.

I've said before and I'll say it again, we should brought through young players when we were doing well in the league.

But if we are doing well in the league with the older players the incentive is not there to play the youngsters as we "could" lose ground end up not doing well. Both arguments have merit and we need to choose 1 and bite the bullet.

I hope we don't loan out Thomas. We could do with him getting some first team experience with us.

The cases of Moore and Erwin tend to suggest that the best way to convince McCall that you're worth a shot is to go on loan and do well. Not sending him on loan doesn't mean he'll get time on the pitch with us...

Forgot to add, the former Clyde fan in the work told me today that Clarky had apparently committed to joining Clyde if he was unable to secure another club further up the leagues.

Clyde?

That's a bit of a fall is it not? Surely it would be worth bringing him in as cover at least? We could match what Clyde are offering?

That's a bit of a fall is it not? Surely it would be worth bringing him in as cover at least? We could match what Clyde are offering?

It's entirely possible he's just not very good any more... it took him years to have a couple of good seasons with us, and he's averaged about 4 goals a season since he left.

He seems to have had many injury problems since he left us too. Whether that means he is less effective now, is difficult to tell, but he really needs a full season of games. A lower league team might be the place to get that and start rebuilding.

Not strictly and "in or out" for us but Clarkson has signed for Dundee.

Be interesting to see how he does having not seen him play since he left us in 2009 but it will be pretty galling if he does a job for them when we had first refusal and knocked him back.

Rumour on Twitter (again) that Pearo is signing up...Mr Burrows stopping short of saying 'no'

2937bbf0e4a37ee4b7ee48e54668fed8_bigger.jpegPLZ Soccer@PLZSoccerStephen Pearson training @MotherwellFC with a view to a deal.

Alan Burrows@Alan_Burrows 3h@PLZSoccer To be fair, he's been training and using the facilities at Fir Park since early July?!