Expectations For Season 14/15

Judge Jules

• Other than seeing Josh Law perform for 65 mins, I cant see where the creativity is coming from.

Vigurs, Ainsworth and, when he gets his chance, Thomas.

(And I thought the budget was staying the same as last season)

(And I thought the budget was staying the same as last season)

If you want to get pernickity about it, with rising costs in terms of inflation etc, a year on year freeze of a budget, is more or less a reduction.

Had the budget raised in line with inflation, then yes, it would have remained the same.

I reckon this will be the season that the bubble bursts!

I'm going to say 8th for a number of reasons;

• Season plauged by injury (due to the club's stalwart physio moving on) and suspensions.
  • Other than seeing Josh Law perform for 65 mins, I cant see where the creativity is coming from.
  • We're going to get horribly exposed down the left where Vigurs and ZFA arent the greatest at coming back to supplement an aging Hammel at the back.
  • Every third kick of Lasley's will be the ball
  • We'll concentrate on Cup runs and not on the League
  • We're lacking pace, other than Ainsworth (and thats a bit hit and miss) and Law. John Sutton may go into reverse this season.
  • The ever deceasing budget will come to the fore this season.

In the main, pretty much the same factors as last season then?

In the main, pretty much the same factors as last season then?

Maybe, just my opinion, we're going through a transitional stage which may have an impact on the season, who knows!

Staff changes etc can have an impact in the balance within any organisation. Ying and Yang etc....

The lack of communication at the moment is also a 'bell ringer'.

Im actually more upbeat than I was last season. Before last season had even begun we lost 7 first team players, basically one of the best attacking Motherwell teams a good number of us have seen. Last season for the first few months we couldn’t link midfield and attack, the only way we looked like scoring was a long ball with Anier breaking the offside trap. After a few months they learned to play and we took second but I really thought last season was the time the bubble was going to burst.

Contrast that with this season, we’ve only lost 3 first team players. We seem to know the way to goal and aside from Aberdeen, no one else has really strengthened. On paper, we should still be looking at top 4. Things don’t always go that way, but with our current team and with Leitch, Moore, Thomas hopefully ready to step up, we shouldn’t be too far away. A second striker and a commanding centre back wouldn’t go amiss however although we probably don’t have the budget.

If you want to get pernickity about it, with rising costs in terms of inflation etc, a year on year freeze of a budget, is more or less a reduction.

Had the budget raised in line with inflation, then yes, it would have remained the same.

I wasn't being pernickety - I was responding to the comments that failing in Europe meant our budget was going to be cut.

It hasn't been cut due to our failing in Europe. It was set prior to that.

If you want to be pernickety, you can say that the same figure this year isn't worth the same as last year, but that is a different argument.

(Oh, and if I was being really pernickety, I'd point out your misspelling of "pernickity")

• Like 2

I feel that, in order to see any grand improvements at the club, the board also has to shape up a new plan. They need to stop wasting money on ridiculous things which raise no income (cough cough womens football) and some other things. We really ought to increase our budget towards youth facilities, motherwell has always had a good reputation for being a developing club. Furthermore, how's about we actually make some money off this talent (shaun hutchinson).As for this year, we can only have it two ways, one is that we go out early in all competitions and focus on the league or that we sit on the borderline of seventh or sixth place in the league with nothing to fight for, but maybe a cup final or two. Our players cannot play all the games at the same intensity, it's just not possible.Personally, after many seasons of McCall producing a brilliant league finish, I fancy a shot at the cups before rangers are back and bring some silverware home.

• Like 2

I feel that, in order to see any grand improvements at the club, the board also has to shape up a new plan. They need to stop wasting money on ridiculous things which raise no income (cough cough womens football) and some other things. We really ought to increase our budget towards youth facilities, motherwell has always had a good reputation for being a developing club. Furthermore, how's about we actually make some money off this talent (shaun hutchinson).As for this year, we can only have it two ways, one is that we go out early in all competitions and focus on the league or that we sit on the borderline of seventh or sixth place in the league with nothing to fight for, but maybe a cup final or two. Our players cannot play all the games at the same intensity, it's just not possible.Personally, after many seasons of McCall producing a brilliant league finish, I fancy a shot at the cups before rangers are back and bring some silverware home.

dont worry you dont have to engage brain just bash away at your keyboard as normal, but if you even want to consider the pish you spout, go read about things and piece together some facts then come back and give yourself a score out of ten

http://mfccommunitytrust.org.uk/?cat=1

• Like 1

Always has been about hope rather than expectation for me. Doubt I'm the only one who couldn't be any less enthusiastic if we tried about the season ahead.

Not too enamoured by what has become of our pre-season, but, my general malaise is around Scottish football. Nothing new, it's poor fare on so many levels - from the corridors of power, finances, the mould-firm and all things inbetween to the thought of at least 3 fixtures against sHamilton.

I think we are still a genuinely better side than most outwith Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. I believe we will finish comfortably in the top six and hopeful that we can get a good draw in the Cup and go on decent run from there, would be extremely happy with mid-table mediocrity and a wee visit to Hampden to top off the season!

It'll be a strange season in the league this year without Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. If you had told me 10 years ago that we would finish 2nd in the league and those teams would all be plying their trade in the first division the following season, I would've been asking for a draw of whatever your smoking!

Outside of Motherwell, I think Dundee might have a good season and I think the relegation battle will be a two horse race between Ross County & Hamilton.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bump up because they're are a few threads talking about relegation and comparisons to the team of last season. I think this thread bridges the gap of last season and now best in terms of how we felt we did last season and how we feel we would do this season.

I think most had us somewhere between 2nd and 8th.

Starting point for me, as always, is avoid relegation.

Our league position the last couple of seasons has been impressive and, given the amounts our closest rivals have been spending in recent years, to be in the mix at the top end again would be quite an achievement.

A decent run in one of the cups would be very welcome.

Would also love to see guys like Erwin, Thomas etc. establish themselves as first team regulars.

Avoid relegation still the starting point for me.

We have a more settled squad this coming season.

Faddy has left, but apart from a handful of games over Xmas never got going and I think Josh Law will be a more than adequate replacement.

Hollis has left and the jury is out as to whether Dan will be any better. FWIW I think he will.

Anier has been sold on and he may well be a big miss. That said he did miss parts of the season and mccall did not reinstate him toward the end of the season, maybe becuase he was not fully over his shin injury. I expect a striker coming in and we have Thomas, Erwin and Moore when he is back fit.

The big ask is how big a miss Hutchy will be? Would we have conceded the golas v Stjarnan if he had been in our defence?? Right now we look weaker in this area, which is a real concern given our porous defence.

As to where we will finish. I think Dundee will start well, but fall away. That apart I think no reason not to hope for a top 4 finish. Yes St J look stronger but we seem to have their number especially at Fir Park. Aberdeen are stronger than last year so will finish above us. United have sold Gauld and Robertson, but have the finances to replace these players, so will not be markedly weaker!

So I will go for 4th or 5th in the SPL. League semi-final and Scottish Cup quarter final...

help.gifcray.gif

I try to be sensible, but miles oot like most of us.

Mind you I did not say whether it was 4th or 5th top or bottom, but even 4th bottom seems miles away right now.

Okay if we're playing this game....

We seem to be crossing over between expectations, predictions and hopes throughout the thread so I'm going to do each individually.

Expectations: I expect we'll be along much the same lines as last season, generally doing just enough to scrape past most of our opponents with the continuing capacity to blow teams away and be blown away on the odd occasion.

Well I got the blown away on the odd occasion bit right!

Hopes: Many. Second place and two Cup wins would be nice, however fanciful. Back in the real world I hope first and foremost that we can remain in the top half and beyond that then have high a finish as possible. I also hope for silverware in one Cup competition which isn't beyond us despite the deep-rooted pessimism of some.

Ha ha! Fail!

Other hopes include the youngsters knocking on the door. I have nothing against McHugh and Lawson but it would be nice if the likes of Leitch, Cadden, Thomas, Erwin and when he's fit Moore made a sufficiently good impact over the course of the season that we could afford to re-invest the salaries of those more senior pros without any loss to the squad.

That's about as close as I've got so far and even that's at a push to argue they've as yet made "a sufficiently good impact".

I also hope we pump Accies three times without conceding

Jeez oh.......

Predictions: In terms of the league as a whole I'm not so sure just now is the right time to be making predictions how things will pan out (other than Aberdeen assuming their natural place as Champions elect, scrap that Champions League Champions elect) what with the season still a couple of weeks away, and indeed further scope to strengthen squads until the window closes.

The only thing right and it's about Aber-fucking-deen!

And we're no different. For us at the moment I see our starting eleven weaker than how we finished. I still believe we'll make additions to bring that back up, though to what level remains to be seen. I get the impression that the board realise that cutting the budget too severely will lead to downward spiral that could cost them more in the long run, so I would expect they will give McCall what was originally earmarked and continue to back him as much as they can. What league position that will all translate into, who knows?

Aye well...

Mental note. Predict nothing.

• Like 2

I thought our league placing was very flattering based on some of the performances, too many losses and some of them humbling from those around us.

Therefore this season, for the first in a while, I'm very pessimistic. I don't think we'll have much to play for come the split. I think Aberdeen will give Celtic a run much deeper into the season and Dundee Utd if they don't have another lull or two like they did last year will fill in 3rd. I can see some distance between us and the top three.

I can't see any improvement in cups, unfortunately a marker was put down last November and a number of players and the manager stressed there would be no repeat and here we are. Why should any of us believe there will be no repeat now.

Sadly Andy mine was more on the money. Bugger it!