The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

Everyone is allowed personal views and to make a mistake . Hes having to start at the bottom again that will teach him . If you have never told a dodgey joke or shouted anything dodgy at the match or forwarded a text then wire intae him, if you have then you cant say too much .No getting at anyone in particular but that's how it seems nowadays everyones easily offended and morally perfect themselves .# I'mperfect

Letting blatant homophobia, racism and antisemitism go unchallenged has always turned out well before.

• Like 1

We absolutely need the new manager in place before the massive 6 pointers v Ross County, St Mirren and Partick Thistle.

I'm hesitant to use the word "shambles", but it's veering towards that.

Whats the point in getting a new manager and then he gets punted a week later if we get new ownership?? Imagine we had appointed McKinley, and then the South Americans took over, poor guy would be lucky to get his 3 game run with us.

The board are doing this correctly, Black can handle the ship until we get ownership sorted out, at which point whoever is running the club can put a manager in place who supports whatever their ambition for the club might be.

• Like 1

Whats the point in getting a new manager and then he gets punted a week later if we get new ownership?? Imagine we had appointed McKinley, and then the South Americans took over, poor guy would be lucky to get his 3 game run with us.

The board are doing this correctly, Black can handle the ship until we get ownership sorted out, at which point whoever is running the club can put a manager in place who supports whatever their ambition for the club might be.

This kind of post is complete and utter rubbish. You say IF, you are correct with the IF part. No one knows, if there will be a new owner, who it will be, when it will be. Are we meant to just continue the way we are until something changes? Why don't the current board make a decisions and then IF something changes, (be it one day, months, or years) let the new owner decide what to do there after.

This whole plodding along is one of the reasons why we are in the state we are in just now.

• Like 3

We all want, indeed need, the managerial situaton addressed as soon as possible but I don't think the club's line of thinking was unreasonable in hanging fire until the end of November before re-assessing the situation.

If it were the case that the deadline set to the Well Society another couple of months down the line, or at the end of the season then yes I would have fully expected the club to have made an appointment to reflect that even if it were an appointment to see us through to the end of the season.

But for all of three or four weeks? I don't think it's unreasonable to pause and see how the land lies in terms of the ownership issues before deciding what avenue to go down next.

Roy Keane has just walked from Aston Villa, he'd certainly put the fear of God into the senior pro's ..........

Roy Keane does walking away pretty regularly.

However, his track record as a manager isn't good; his time at Ipswich being a good example. Plus he is a knob of a human being.

• Like 1

We absolutely need the new manager in place before the massive 6 pointers v Ross County, St Mirren and Partick Thistle.

I'm hesitant to use the word "shambles", but it's veering towards that.

I feel maybe that is what the board are looking at. They possibly looked at the forthcoming ties and decided that we are going to get beat by Inverness, Dundee United and Celtic so no need to rush appointment allows us getting the right man in place for the 3 biggest games we have faced in seasons.

This kind of post is complete and utter rubbish. You say IF, you are correct with the IF part. No one knows, if there will be a new owner, who it will be, when it will be. Are we meant to just continue the way we are until something changes? Why don't the current board make a decisions and then IF something changes, (be it one day, months, or years) let the new owner decide what to do there after.

This whole plodding along is one of the reasons why we are in the state we are in just now.

YEAH

"OK Mr Respected Manager. We can offer you a high profile job. All we expect is you to keep Motherwell in the top league. We are trying to sell up, and if we do, you're out on ear with no pay off. Fancy it?"

"Jeez That's magic. Where do I sign?"

small club mentality instead of a ruthless £5million turnover business

talk of morality etc is a nonsense , if a candidate knows the situation and is accepting then there is no ethical question about appointing them.

if the society or a friend of the club takes ownership , then situation normal and the appointment will be as with every other, results based.

if some corporate raider takes over, the very least of the current stewards worries, will be a manager that could get moved on.

EDIT: and just a reminder that effectively, this Saturdays game, is the most significant financially in a long time.

We can't hold off for ever but I still don't think there is a big rush to make an appointment. We need someone in before the Ross County match and the run of games immediately after but the 13th December is still two weeks away.

We were told the club ownership issue would be settled before then and as far as we know it will be.

If nothing still hasn't happened in 7-10 days then that's a different story but right now we just need to be patient.

small club mentality instead of a ruthless £5million turnover business

talk of morality etc is a nonsense , if a candidate knows the situation and is accepting then there is no ethical question about appointing them.

if the society or a friend of the club takes ownership , then situation normal and the appointment will be as with every other, results based.

if some corporate raider takes over, the very least of the current stewards worries, will be a manager that could get moved on.

EDIT: and just a reminder that effectively, this Saturdays game, is the most significant financially in a long time.

It's not just about ethics. It's about continuity and costs. Managers don't just walk away. Maybe McCall did but Black will have a contract that will require compensation if we boot him, so would the new manager if he then gets booted again. No credible manager will come in and sign a contract and say "aye, cool if the new owners come in in 2 weeks I will just walk away for free".

The simplistic nature of this board, like we are playing Football Manager, is mental sometimes.

The simplistic nature of this board, like we are playing Football Manager, is mental sometimes.

yip and your post is a great example,

holding the business on slow tickover from the outside, losing opportunities weekly because of the potential feelings/reputation about a person thats not even employed by the club, whilst the business is faltering at a terrifying rate?

look at it again, continuity? thats fine, as I said, if its a friendly change in ownership and a manager had been appointed, you'll have have your continuity, the new manager would have been in job for a few weeks at the most vunerable time the club has had in a decade.

Continuity if its a radical takeover? thats mental putting a business at risk for something that might or might not happen and the least of anyones worries if it does, the appointed manager will have been made aware, and lets look at your emphasis on their credibility? its not exactly Mourhino we're expecting in, look at all the factors and our last half dozen appointments, not many would be leaving desirable jobs to come to us, it would hardly destroy a reputation of anyone in 'our league' were they to work for 6-10? weeks and then something radical happened and they were let go, the 'cost?' not a worry if its a consortium looking at structure change they will have 'budgeted' for the changes even if the club cannot afford it.

meantime many weeks trundling along, opportunites lost and more importantly commerical income dissapearing, fundraiser nights cancelled, perhaps the single cup tie cash gate of the season and associtated commercial opportunity squandered. Fans/customers choosing other options at a prime time of year.

there are no guarantees a new manager would turnaround the lack of points in the first few weeks or indeed at all, but an appointment during the international break would have been a much needed boost, at a critical time, Deal with the business first and maximise any opportunity, worry about the future when and IF any significant event happens.

the club only has a limited number of 'event dates' to bring in income, letting them pass, with the club in its present limp mode , is dissapointing.

PS football manager? never played it, what sort of score do you get, when things are not working and you just leave it doing the same thing over and over and over again?

• Like 1

The reason I called it simplistic is because if the club went with your approach it would be a very risky decision based on a huge amount of assumption. At the end of the day every decision in business has to be one that is thought through carefully with the pros and cons weighed up, assumptions, risks and potential mitigations taken into account. Not everyone will agree on the decision made and much like it would seem yourself and I wouldn't go with the same approach I am sure members of the board will be the same.

holding the business on slow tickover from the outside, losing opportunities weekly because of the potential feelings/reputation about a person thats not even employed by the club, whilst the business is faltering at a terrifying rate?

'from the outside'. Exactly this, we don't know what's going on inside the club so to base a risky approach on large assumption is simplistic and not addressing the major risks that go with it.

It's not to do with the feeling/reputation of someone else. What I meant was, from our point of view,what decent/credible manager is going to take a job with a caveat that says they might be out of the job in a a month or two? Would the appointment be worth it both from a financial point of view or a continuity point of view? Without knowing the names of people its hard to know but I would say not.

look at it again, continuity? thats fine, as I said, if its a friendly change in ownership and a manager had been appointed,you'll have have your continuity, the new manager would have been in job for a few weeks at the most vulnerable time the club has had in a decade.

I do agree on this. If there was any evidence of more probability on the 'friendly takeover' happening I would maybe have a slightly different view and say the level of risk in trying to appoint a manager not is not as high. But, there isn't and I would say all the murmurs point towards 'the consortium' rather than 'friendly change'.

Continuity if its a radical takeover? thats mental putting a business at risk for something that might or might not happen and the least of anyones worries if it does,

I would argue you are putting the club more at risk by not taking into account things that 'may or may not happen'. It's basic risk management.

the appointed manager will have been made aware,and lets look at your emphasis on their credibility?

its not exactly Mourhino we're expecting in, lookat all the factors and our last half dozen appointments, not many would beleaving desirable jobs to come to us, it would hardly destroy a reputation ofanyone in 'our league' were they to work for 6-10? weeks and then somethingradical happened and they were let go

True, but my point, again, is who would we be able to appoint that would agree to a clause that says you might be out of a job in a month or two because of the impending takeover etc? I am sure we could get someone in but would it be someone that much better than Kenny Black taking into account we would have to pay this person a salary in the interim?

, the 'cost?' not a worry if its a consortiumlooking at structure change they will have 'budgeted' for the changes even ifthe club cannot afford it.

Your assuming 'the consortium' would agree to budget for this potential change of manager. That could be correct, but what also could be correct is that they have had discussions with the board to say that they would not support the costs of paying a manager off if indeed they do takeover. The simplistic argument here would be that they don't have anything to do with the club yet and it shouldn't but have a bearing on our decisions. But, business is not like that and unfortunately any interested party will potentially have a bearing on our decisions given out current need to sell quickly.

meantime many weeks trundling along,opportunites lost and more importantly commerical income dissapearing,fundraiser nights cancelled, perhaps the single cup tie cash gate of the seasonand associtated commercial opportunity squandered. Fans/customers choosingother options at a prime time of year.

I'll will take on board the cup game, if we lose it, would be kick in the stones financially. But, again, a new manager is not going to guarantee that win. As for the rest, I don't think there will be any major loss in commercial income if we appoint a manager mid December as opposed to mid November.

there are no guarantees a new manager would turnaround the lack of points in the first few weeks or indeed at all, but an appointment during the international break would have been a much needed boost,at a critical time, Deal with the business first and maximise any opportunity,worry about the future when and IF any significant event happens.

'Worry about the future when and if it happens?' Simplistic. If we ran our club like that then we wouldn' thave a club right now.

the club only has a limited number of 'eventdates' to bring in income, letting them pass, with the club in its present limpmode , is dissapointing.

Again, appointing a manager mid December, as opposed to mid November I dont think will have a huge impact. Letting it roll on into and past Christmas I think would, however.

PS football manager? never played it, whatsort of score do you get, when things are not working and you just leave itdoing the same thing over and over and over again?

Leaving things ticking over for 4 – 6 weeks, rather than 2, while a major club buyout is in progress? Probably better points than appointing a random sub standard manager for a couple of weeks, wasting wages and causing upheaval.

We can't hold off for ever but I still don't think there is a big rush to make an appointment. We need someone in before the Ross County match and the run of games immediately after but the 13th December is still two weeks away.

We were told the club ownership issue would be settled before then and as far as we know it will be.

If nothing still hasn't happened in 7-10 days then that's a different story but right now we just need to be patient.

Absolutely agree.

I actually think Black is safe pair of hands just now. He's been in charge of 270 minutes of football against the 2nd and 3rd placed teams in the country. About half of that time has seen us play with a fight, desire and creativity that has been completely devoid from the last 14 odd games under Mccall. If reckon Black remains in charge he'll take plenty of points off the teams around us, and will challenge the teams above.

If he was a new manager, I imagine people would be far more optimistic about those performances.

• Like 2

Merit to what CoF is saying here, however in both games we had fight, we also rode our luck for lengthy periods. Issue going forward that anyone coming in has to get results from players who were performing 8 months ago but aren't now. We've seen glimmers but no continuity or belief.

As to the ownership, its safe to say if the WS are the controlling entity then I would be surprised if Black didn't see out his contract until the end of the season or until McCall is offered another gig and he'd move without requiring compensation.

If its another party/group, then you would think they'd like to appoint their own guy.

Long and short is though that if McCall hadn't imploded this season we'd have continuity till May and any new owner would have probably been content to keep him in post until then.

I have always been a fan of McCall, I didn't want him to go but the articles on the BBC are too much, he walked with no answers and because he did that he's been given the "integrity" moniker. Over time he didn't identify that pace and changing things up regularly so our opposition knew exactly how to combat us.