Dundee V Motherwell 10/01/15

Yabba's Turd

You can't explain some things purely in terms of bald statistics. However our central midfield hasn't been right for some time; in effect a season or two. Its also not just down to Stuart Carswell. There are plenty of other factors.

However, Carswell lacks pace and is not creative. He's also not a great tackler. In effect he' s an honest journeyman. He's not what we need. Last season when we finished second we still had a very poor defence, although not as bad as this season. The central midfield failed miserably to protect the defence. In the second half of games our central midfield would often disappear as the opposition bulldozed our engine room. Fortunately our strikeforce scored freely to compensate for this weakness. We have a good number of central midfielders but very few or none are the quality we require. The one possible exception is Paul Lawson, who is however very injury prone and we've seen little of him. If we have a total clearout of our d central midfield in the summer it will be no bad thing.

That's a very harsh assessment of Carswell for me. I would persevere with him for now (and Leitch when fit) ahead of more expensive and less motivated imposters like Iain Vigurs. I have a degree of sympathy for Lawson but sympathy doesn't pay the bills and I'd be letting him go as well, purely on the basis that we can't be carrying passengers on our budget.

For me Lasley has ran our midfield for years if he played well we won, sure he's a year older but the stick he has been getting on here is a joke, How can you compare him to chocolate Lawson who's played a handful of games and seems to be always injured. Main failure is lack of any other workers and or decent wide men. As for the defence it is a joke

For me Lasley has ran our midfield for years if he played well we won, sure he's a year older but the stick he has been getting on here is a joke,

He deserves respect for what he has done and his loyalty, but being ruthless his time has now passed. He was never fast but has lost a yard of pace since last season and is being bullied by bigger and more aggressive opponents. Sentiment and blind loyalty are not whats required in our current situation.

I enjoy Ya Beezers numbers. It's the only way to truly quantify something.

Some times it's good to take in some actual facts when there are so many unsubstantiated opinions being fired around. :lol:

My main problem with Carswell is that he's past 80 appearances for the club now and never scored a goal.

Especially in a four man midfield you need more offensive threat, even from someone who is primarily a defensive midfielder. We have been too dependent on a small group of players to score goals, even in previous seasons when things weren't bad like they are now, and we've been very lucky that we've had two strikers score 20+ goals two seasons in a row, something that had never happened once previously in the 25+ years I've been supporting the team.

So I think Carswell is part of a wider problem that we have. We need to have players all around the park who are capable of scoring goals.

Take Stephen McManus - 25 appearances and not a single goal. Someone like him should be a much bigger threat at corners and set pieces. If you take Dundee Utd's Fojut for example he's already got 4 goals for them this season.

And they have also had goals out of Sean Dillon, Callum Morris, Keith Watson, John Souttar and Callum Butcher, all defenders. So far this season the only goal we've had from a defender is Stevie Hammell in the Europa Cup.

There is a similar problem in midfield. In 43 starting league appearances Carswell, Lawson, Lasley, Law and Leitch have not got one goal between them.

• Like 2

1421166703[/url]' post='429186']

Some times it's good to take in some actual facts when there are so many unsubstantiated opinions being fired around. :lol:

My main problem with Carswell is that he's past 80 appearances for the club now and never scored a goal.

Especially in a four man midfield you need more offensive threat, even from someone who is primarily a defensive midfielder. We have been too dependent on a small group of players to score goals, even in previous seasons when things weren't bad like they are now, and we've been very lucky that we've had two strikers score 20+ goals two seasons in a row, something that had never happened once previously in the 25+ years I've been supporting the team.

So I think Carswell is part of a wider problem that we have. We need to have players all around the park who are capable of scoring goals.

Take Stephen McManus - 25 appearances and not a single goal. Someone like him should be a much bigger threat at corners and set pieces. If you take Dundee Utd's Fojut for example he's already got 4 goals for them this season.

And they have also had goals out of Sean Dillon, Callum Morris, Keith Watson, John Souttar and Callum Butcher, all defenders. So far this season the only goal we've had from a defender is Stevie Hammell in the Europa Cup.

There is a similar problem in midfield. In 43 starting league appearances Carswell, Lawson, Lasley, Law and Leitch have not got one goal between them.

Carswell must be good odds for 1st scorer in a game tho, won't be putting anything on it myself, mind you

jeezo Ya Beezer a hell of a lot of typing to make a point, Thom Watt raised a similar point earlier today on twitter,

@ThomAlexWatt

Motherwell have only taken 107 shots this season, the lowest in the division. After 21 games last season they’d taken 240.

Won't score if we don't shoot

its bad when the press are even noticing it!