Dundee V Motherwell 10/01/15

Yabba's Turd

I've never been a Keith Lasley fan but he's always been committed and reliable. Last season should have been his last as his legs were starting to give out. That though was a very unpopular view. Very, very fans questioned Stuart McCall's decision to give him a 2 year extension. Times change though and its now clear that this season has been one too far for him. that said, he has no-one decent to partner him or run for him. His heir apparent Stuart Carswell has been found out to be nothing more than an honest journeyman; a latter day Mark Fitzpatrick.

Agree with you although I was s Lasley fan but he is struggling this season. I do feel he has something to offer but not in the present system we are playing. Carswell yesterday was poor not sure if he was fully fit though but I do tend to agree that Carswell will leave Motherwell and slip quickly down the leagues. Our midfield on the whole is awful offering no protection for a weak defence and not able to support Sutton quickly either which leaves him isolated and playing as a lone striker which isn't suited to him.

Just seen the highlights. McManus at Dundee's 2nd is nothing short of disgraceful. He gives up once the ball goes past the keeper while the Dundee boy keeps going and anticipates the ball coming back off the bar. Shocking.

At the end the players couldn't even look up at the travelling fans although a couple, including the manager, gave a half hearted clap.

None of them give a fuck.

My tuppence worth...

One thing that I have been screaming this season is "stop the cross". We will shadow/track a player down the line or whatever, but step off about ten yards and allow the cross. We need to get much tighter.

Which leads me to... backing off. Any time the opposition attack, we back off and back off, which then leads to a shot/cross/final ball (see above).

Inviting pressure has been a theme this season.

Players contesting the same ball. A few times in the highlights there are 3 players chasing the same man/ball, with Lasley particularly headless in one instance.

Movement. We need to pass and move. At the moment its just pass - if we're lucky. The much maligned Josh Law is one of the few who provides this.

We need to have a dig on goal more often.

• Like 1

Keith lasleys one of the worst footballers iv ever seen

he must be bad if you think he is worse than Ainsworth - who is cheating the club by accepting a wage, he hides is disinterested and should never play for MFC again. Strong words I know but I was appalled by his performance yesterday. When I see a 17 year old lad Thomas trying things and working his socks off and then see this prick not doing anything all day it makes my blood boil.

I am sorry if it sounds like I am picking on one player but apart from Thomas not one player deserved to be paid yesterday. The worst team I have seen in 20 odd years. Still raging even this morning and just don't know how we get out of this rut with these players.

We are on these boards in the hours and days after every game making the exact same comments about the exact same players making the exact same mistakes and have been since the Stjarnan game. Nothing is changing, apart from possibly the situation actually deteriorating.

We must have the most untalented, gutless, uninterested, unmotivated, unfit and unorganised bunch of shysters ever to wear the shirt and we are sleepwalking our way to relegation and probable administration and not one of these wage thieving imposters give a fuck.

A change of manager has served only to merely reorganise the deck chairs on the titanic!

Even the die hard fans are bludgeoned into despair at what they have watched for 20 odd games in a row and not even a hint of a game plan to be seen, many labelling this team the worst in 20,30,40 years and still no change in approach in the next game.

What are we to do? What can we do to stop the clubs decsent?

1420970405[/url]' post='428916']

We are on these boards in the hours and days after every game making the exact same comments about the exact same players making the exact same mistakes and have been since the Stjarnan game. Nothing is changing, apart from possibly the situation actually deteriorating.

We must have the most untalented, gutless, uninterested, unmotivated, unfit and unorganised bunch of shysters ever to wear the shirt and we are sleepwalking our way to relegation and probable administration and not one of these wage thieving imposters give a fuck.

A change of manager has served only to merely reorganise the deck chairs on the titanic!

Even the die hard fans are bludgeoned into despair at what they have watched for 20 odd games in a row and not even a hint of a game plan to be seen, many labelling this team the worst in 20,30,40 years and still no change in approach in the next game.

What are we to do? What can we do to stop the clubs decsent?

Get someone behind the scenes to grow a fucking set. Make a statement of intent and set out a vision for the club. We are rudderless at every fucking level. Get Mr, Hutchinson et al. On board with the idea that unless they invest this month, their entire investment thur far could go tits up with relegation and administration staring us in the face. The "board" is a bloody farce, exemplified in the managerial appointment and nonsense fund raising efforts. If we had a half a clue, half of the staff and squad would be away.

Motherwell fans turning on Keith Lasley, heard it all now......disgraceful! Do the players need to take a hard long look at themselves, of course, do some of our 'fans' (and I use that term loosely) need to have a think before they shout/post, undoubtedly! Keith Lasey has had a poor season by his standards (although still managed to be 1 of our 4 or 5 better players in most games in my opinion), the rest of the midfield is struggling and yes Keith is another year older, however he is currently just being asked to do too much, going to Dundee and playing what was essentially 4 forwards after what we all witnessed at Hamilton was a big mistake from our new manager. Did Keith Lasley play a huge part in getting us to best of the rest 3 years in a row? Does Keith Lasley always give his all? To point the finger at him when the rest of the team is struggling as it is really is disgraceful (short memory's as fans).

• Like 4

My tuppence worth...

One thing that I have been screaming this season is "stop the cross". We will shadow/track a player down the line or whatever, but step off about ten yards and allow the cross. We need to get much tighter.

Which leads me to... backing off. Any time the opposition attack, we back off and back off, which then leads to a shot/cross/final ball (see above).

Inviting pressure has been a theme this season.

Good post. In a nutshell its why we lose so many goals. Players are allowed to run at our defence and take pot shots at goal at will. They can also run to the by line, usually without challenge to whip in crosses. Why do our two full/wing backs have to play so far infield? Time and again it leaves us vulnerable. Our left hand side is simply non existent and had been for months now.

It was noticeable from the TV highlights yesterday (and every week at Fir Park) that if our wingers want to get in a cross they have to beat 2/3 men to do that. Thats defending.

Against Aberdeen we also conceded far too many cheap and avoidable corners. In the absence of any shout or advice from Dan our central defenders would attack the ball, as you would, and put it out of play when in truth a simple shout would stop them.

I actually thought our goal yesterday was fantastic! Great pass & move passage of play!

What we needed to do to stop this rot was bring in a manager who would have shaken things up. We needed a manager who would give the players a roasting and light a fire under them,who would organize us first and foremost to be tough to beat, change things up behind the scenes and bring different ideas in.

What we got is,in my view,symptomatic of the Well Society running the club for the rest of our days, a manager who is a cheaper wage,who was happy to run with the status quo which would save money again by keeping black & marshall,a manager who wouldnt rock the boat,the soft/cheapest option essentially.

Tthe exact same thing happened in the summer with Flow. People in the other thread have been giving him a hard time but I understand why,its not his fault,and Im sure he is doing a fine job as GM but Boyle is gone and we have no chairman figure head,Dempster WAS that person but jumped ship and instead of replacing her we went for the cheap and safe option and promoted Flow, now he is perceived to be the club figure head and at the same time,under his term as a senior manager,the club has turned into an unbelieveable shambles and communication,which was good under Leanne,is non existant. At the same time,it also looks like Flows old job was never replaced so the GM is also interviewing the manager and doing media stuff,you cant really blame frustrations with the running of the club when it looks like the club is run by complete amateurs!

A good few folk on this site were predicting a monumental collapse this season, after poor decisions made regarding playing structures and with the cash and upheaval at board level.Shame that most pointing this out were castigated on here.

Ian Baraclough needs to be totally ruthless here with a vast number in this squad and he needs immediate backing from the board to freshen things up.Failure to do this will be catastrophic to Motherwell Fc We are where we are and the decisions made as of today will shape the following seasons.

no fucking mercy!

1420971770[/url]' post='428917']

Get someone behind the scenes to grow a fucking set. Make a statement of intent and set out a vision for the club. We are rudderless at every fucking level. Get Mr, Hutchinson et al. On board with the idea that unless they invest this month, their entire investment thur far could go tits up with relegation and administration staring us in the face. The "board" is a bloody farce, exemplified in the managerial appointment and nonsense fund raising efforts. If we had a half a clue, half of the staff and squad would be away.

Administration staring us in the face? Enlighten us...

Things may be bad on the park with some perceived notions of chaos off it too, but, a business decision like that is unlikely.

Administration staring us in the face? Enlighten us...

Things may be bad on the park with some perceived notions of chaos off it too, but, a business decision like that is unlikely.

If we spend a few seasons down there then I don't think admin sounds that far fetched. Admittedly I don't really follow the club's financial situation that closely.

Surprised by the criticism the manager is getting. The rot set in over a year ago for this group of players and Baraclough is left to pick up the pieces. The starting 11 picked itself yesterday because there was no other options due to possibly the worst injury list in the SPFL. The only major surprise for me over the last 12 months is that the current team of players managed to finish 2nd in the SPFL. I honestly have no idea how that happened.

I remember a year ago members on this forum defending Vigurs and Ainsworth because they could only produce 20-25 minutes of good football in 90 ,mins. The argument was that if they could do better they would be playing at a higher level. Well fans were happy to accept the unacceptable just 12 months ago.

A few low-lights of the last year for me:

1) Two defeats to part time teams in 12 months. This should be unacceptable.

2) Very few if any strong 90 min performance from the team in the last 12 months .

3) A lack of any sort of forward planning by the previous manager.

4) Public promotion of the Rangers style piss up on the bus home after the Aberdeen game. No wonder these players do not act like professional athletes when a manager encourages this behavior.

5) A team that are visibly unfit in comparison to their rivals.

The new man has a mountain to climb. These players have been picking up a wage for half-hearted performances for months. What incentive is there for them to change. Fear of relegation is not one because i am sure that many of these players will believe that they can find a club elsewhere. Anybody that thinks that Van der Gaag would have waved a magic wand and that we would be watching a football team now is kidding themselves.

There are noises about honest and hard working players coming out of St Mirren and Ross County. There can be no such praise attributed to our players. Good luck to the new man. He will need it. He has a mountain to climb and my feeling is that on current performance Motherwell must quickly be becoming favourites for the drop.

• Like 2

I've ran out of +/- in the past 24 hours, otherwise you would have another + mate. While I'm happy with Bara's appointment I don't fully agree with the Gaag comments star sail. Tony Pulis has shown you can arrive somewhere and have an almost immediate effect (talking Crystal Palace, but WBA look like they have something about them already).

We won ugly against St Mirren and Partick however many a league winner has managed that and if we're all honest that's how we finished second last season.

However I agree I don't think his appointment over Bara's would have been some sort magic wand, can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with the mindset and ethic currently exhibited by too many. Our players started the season unfit, that's lead to our horrific injury situation and not competing physically. The first few results lead to a malaise and we've been unable to lift it.

The initial things Baraclough can address in my opinion is mental. Yesterday the first goal went in and it was a deflection, OK it was 3 minutes in, there's things happen and there's not a lot you can do about freak happenings like that. Difference is you recognise it as a fluke and disregard. But too many did and the second went in primarily due to the fact Stewart didn't give up, granted the ball could have rebounded anywhere and he was fortunate it fell in his lap (or onto his napper for accuracy). At this point too many gave up and that's where I have an issue. I was encouraged when we got one back but the Ojamaa appears to let frustration take over and walked.

I think Ojamma, Faddy and McManus are guilty of thinking they were better than Motherwell at stages in their time in C&A. A few lack the mental toughness, a few don't have the tools and a few I'm sure would have contributed but are sitting on the sidelines due to injury. We've also had no consistency, how many games this season have the same back 4 lined up week to week?

What's key is get to May intact and wipe the slate clean, 2015-16 is a fresh start. It can be done, we've seen it twice in recent memory when a competitive team has been built in a summer.

How anyone can blame Ian Barraclough for our current predicament is beyond me. I'm not convinced that he was the man for the job in the 1st place but our season has been a fucking abomination since before it kicked off.

Stuart McCalls record as our Manager was exceptional but his legacy is not so much being eroded but being annihilated by the bag of shite that he has left his successor to deal with.

We never played 1 single pre-season friendly...shocking preparations.

We lost John Porteous...lo and behold our injury list has never been bigger

We lost Leeann Dempster...no matter what you think of her, we have never adequately replaced her.

We appointed Flow as our GM...I've know the guy for years, and he done a great job as the media man, but I didn't see the logic in that one

On the playing side...

We have the worst goalkeeping 'team' in years...I've been a huge critic of Wee Dan since his loan spell, and I'm of the belief that you couldn't mould him and and Neilsen together and come up with a competent Premier a League level keeper...it's believed Marshall had a say in both signings, which says it all about him.

We've played virtually the whole season without a left back...Hammell is invaluable to us, and the imposter who has played there most...ZFA...isn't fit to lace his boots.

At right back, we've had Kerr, Reid, Law, Ramsden and Ferguson all fill in there at certain stages without any of them really making the position their own.

There has been much discussion on the centre back pairing and McManus in particular, we have never replaced Hutchison, and his worth to the team has been proven this year. But, the biggest problem our centre-halves have is their lack of protection from the full-backs and their obvious concern with our midget goalie.

Our midfield has been decimated by injury, but a few things would still occur even if everyone was fit. Lasley should never have received a 2year deal...his legs are gone, but he is currently playing as a 1man midfield. He doesn't have a regular partner...Vigurs can't play in a 2 man midfield, Lawson is made of chocolate, Carswell and Leitch aren't ready and might never be, Reid is playing way above his level. Ainsworth (like Vigurs), is just 1 lazy bastard of a guy.

Up front...Woody Harrelson, I genuinely can't take much more of watching this lead-laden lump allow the ball to batter off his chest, run as though he is 65, attempt to jump, spend half the game on his arse anymore. He is awful, just awful.

Our squad is full of players who should be seeking new Clubs at the end of this season...Neilsen, Twardzik, Reid, ZFA, Law, Kerr, Vigurs, Lawson, Sutton, Ainsworth, McHugh...my only hope is that the gaffer has the wherewithal to firstly keep us in the league this season and secondly bring in players with the desire and ability that this current lot don't have.

• Like 2

Motherwell fans turning on Keith Lasley, heard it all now......disgraceful! Do the players need to take a hard long look at themselves, of course, do some of our 'fans' (and I use that term loosely) need to have a think before they shout/post, undoubtedly! Keith Lasey has had a poor season by his standards (although still managed to be 1 of our 4 or 5 better players in most games in my opinion), the rest of the midfield is struggling and yes Keith is another year older, however he is currently just being asked to do too much, going to Dundee and playing what was essentially 4 forwards after what we all witnessed at Hamilton was a big mistake from our new manager. Did Keith Lasley play a huge part in getting us to best of the rest 3 years in a row? Does Keith Lasley always give his all? To point the finger at him when the rest of the team is struggling as it is really is disgraceful (short memory's as fans).

I'm watching a team where at least half if not more of the players have just given up but even though Lasley is not having a good season I watch him and I see someone that is at least trying.

He's 35 and he's still the guy that's doing all the running. That shouldn't be the case for a start. Also, I think you have to accept that not having a regular midfield partner is not exactly ideal - one week it's Carswell, the next it's Vigurs, then Law, then Lawson, then Ramsden. Unlike, say, McManus, he's never had a settled partner along side him.

Also Lasley turns out every week when I'm absolutely convinced there are players hiding in the physios room right now that don't want to roll their sleeves up and get out and play.

Football players aren't stupid, I'm sure there must be seasoned pros sitting in our dressing room on a downer looking round at their team mates and thinking "the guys around me aren't good enough".

But you know what you could rattle through our squad and most are a rank or two below Lasley as players and I'm sure he knows that just as well as we do. That must effect his performances. There's only so much one or two guys can do, we need to perform as a team and if we don't get at least 8 or 9 guys out there performing then we don't have much chance.

• Like 3

Our squad is full of players who should be seeking new Clubs at the end of this season...Neilsen, Twardzik, Reid, ZFA, Law, Kerr, Vigurs, Lawson, Sutton, Ainsworth, McHugh...my only hope is that the gaffer has the wherewithal to firstly keep us in the league this season and secondly bring in players with the desire and ability that this current lot don't have.

Very sensible post, of course it's not Baraclough's fault although I'm concerned with some of his decisions, with the small cushion that we have 0-0 draws away from home would do us at the moment. I do understand his options are limited but if we had "parked the bus" and frustrated Dundee for first half it would have been a better game plan than attempt to be more expansive with 4 forwards. We could have maybe opened up later in 2nd half and sneaked a goal.

I do worry that we are similar to Hibs were last season a new manager has come in and it's pretty obvious that a lot of the squad won't feature in his long term plans and they either resent him or can't be arsed and have just stopped playing for the club. Therefore we need at least 2-3 players in now that have a future here and they are playing for their future in Premiership.

I'm sure Ian Baraclough isn't looking for excuses. He's responsible for the recent results. If he didn't want to be responsible for them he wouldn't have taken the job.

However we have been dire from day 1 of the season and to a certain extent Baraclough has inherited the problem, he didn't make it.

Therefore you have to cut him some slack, however he is in charge now and we can't go on with performances like those at Hamilton or Dundee and it's up to the new manager to make sure it doesn't happen again, or at least not too often, because performances at that standard will see us relegated.

I thought when McCall left and the performances got slightly better, and after we got the wins against Partick and St. Mirren, we might kick on a bit but that hasn't happened. I think there is very little realistic chance of climbing the league now and finishing 10th has to be the managers aim, if he doesn't manage it then I think his position would have to be assessed and we look at what has and hasn't happened under his watch but until then that's his marker.

Baraclough should be criticized and scrutinized just like everyone else at this time but he certainly shouldn't be under pressure in terms of his job unless there is a cataclysmic drop in form and relegation becomes a certainty well before the end of the season.

Watched those highlights and whilst I am not doubting we were woeful Dundee were jammy as hell.

Wicked deflection for the first goal and spawny rebound from a good save for the second.

Now you make your own luck somewhat and if we are doing better with the ball we aren't giving the opposition the chance for those pot shots but it certainly isn't what you need inside the first ten minutes or so of a game.

I have a little sympathy for Ojamma, it was a push away with the arm rather than a clear violent swipe but it was still stupid considering how high his arm was.

3rd goal a pure keeper blunder, in Twardzik's defence he has made a good many solid saves both in this game an throughout the season but there is no getting away from the fact he lacks presence and doesn't deal with crosses all that well. I'd happily keep him as he is far from terrible back up but not ideal as a first pick.

4th goal I find it hard to believe my eyes, I'd guess keeper needs to take responsbility here although both players are culpable. It merely salt in the wound at this point.