Aberdeen V Motherwell 13/03/15

Yabba's Turd

^^ Plays too much football manager. Ainsworth is not and never will be a striker.

To be fair, we all know Ainsworth has a wicked shot and can skip past players if he's in the mood. He's lazy and doesn't track back when played out wide so perhaps sticking him up front out the road in a 3 with McDonald and Sutton could be a good shout.

I would say we need pace at Pittodrie particularly on the counter attack, Erwin does give us pace but I'd actually play Ainsworth up top with McDonald as on his day Ainsworth is capable of scoring but hasn't being showing it enough this season but maybe that might change again on Friday night. I think him and McDonald could work well together.

We need some width as well as pace in the team, so i would have Johnson and Ainsworth starting with Sutton in for Erwin as he is more effective, scores more goals and will hopefully get himself on the end of the cross balls that Ainsworth and johnson are capable of delivering. Erwin has potential but he gets bullied off the ball to easily.

I think it will be same starting 11 as Saturday but possibly change formation. I think the manager will go back to his 4-2-3-1 formation he was using so 1 up front McDonald with Erwin back on the left and Johnson on the right. Grant and Lasley will sit deeper with Pearson in front of them. I think it would be better sticking with 4-4-2 with Sutton in for Erwin. I am also slightly concerned about Hayes running at Straker but hope his improvement from Saturday continues.

Interesting debate this on the Sutton and Erwin for and against. While Erwin does have the pace and mobility over Sutton his worst failing is his first touch, it is really poor. Surprised Moore hasn't been mentioned as an alternative. Not seen much of him but appears to be as pacey as Erwin. On the downside he may be too similar to McDonald.

Interesting debate this on the Sutton and Erwin for and against. While Erwin does have the pace and mobility over Sutton his worstsse failing is his first touch, it is really poor. Surprised Moore hasn't been mentioned as an alternative. Not seen much of him but appears to be as pacey as Erwin. On the downside he may be too similar to McDonald.

Remember Hearts team of late 80's had 2 small similar players in Robertson and Foster who caused our defence at the time loads of problems. I imagine Moore and McDonald could form a similar partnership.

If we are looking for someone to hold the ball up, got to be Erwin.

Too often on sat I thought he was trying flick ons rather than getting the ball down onl his chest or feet and playing.

I think he's a bit confused and short of confidence at the moment, will come though hopefully

Erwin's first touch is substantially better than Suttons.

Suttons performance at Pittodrie earlier in the season ranks as one of the worst centre forward displays I have ever seen. Truly awful.

Thats because all we done was pump high balls over the top for him to chase, and he is feckin pish trying to do that. Get the ball crossed in from wide and have him run on to it, that's where he is most effective and scores most of his goals.

Sutton was awful when he came on vs Killie and ICT. However Johnson did put some quality crosses in in the first half that Sutty would have benefitted from. I'd keep him on the bench from Pittodrie and start him vs Accies if Erwin doesn't score vs the sheepies

Genuinely gobsmacked that people are calling for Sutton to play on Friday haha. Actually thought everyone was at the wind up! I'd accept that if he was on 1st half against killie he may have grabbed a goal off one of Johnsons crosses and that hes been handed a tough task all season upfront himself...however he just doesnt fit in to our side at the moment and hasnt done so all season. If we play him instead of Erwin we will certainly be relegated, hes got no link up play ability and in my opinion offers literally nothing to the team except a potential goal if layed on a plate for him. For Friday though id go 4-5-1 with johnson and ainsworth on the wings and skippy up top

It always amuses me when people say that Sutton offers nothing to the team and then advocate for Ainsworth to start.

Just saying, like...

Ainsworth doesnt try half the time but hes a creative player that gets goals and assists/makes things happen out of nothing. Sutton though.................................

Ainsworth doesnt try half the time but hes a creative player that gets goals and assists/makes things happen out of nothing. Sutton though.................................

..............quite often scores more goals than anyone else.

Genuinely gobsmacked that people are calling for Sutton to play on Friday haha. Actually thought everyone was at the wind up! I'd accept that if he was on 1st half against killie he may have grabbed a goal off one of Johnsons crosses and that hes been handed a tough task all season upfront himself...however he just doesnt fit in to our side at the moment and hasnt done so all season. If we play him instead of Erwin we will certainly be relegated, hes got no link up play ability and in my opinion offers literally nothing to the team except a potential goal if layed on a plate for him. For Friday though id go 4-5-1 with johnson and ainsworth on the wings and skippy up top

I can recall 1 post advocating that sutton start on Friday. I think the majorty are recognizing the type of game it will be and suggestiong that Erwin starts. On the other hand I think we are expecting ( hoping? ) that we will be pressing forward against accies and that perhaps Sutton might be the better choice for starter in that game.

I'd start with Sutton and McDonald and continue to whip those balls into the box. Sutton will lap them up. Erwin would also make a better sub option than Sutton does , as bringing him on late , he has more pace to run at tired defenders.

Not often am I an advocate for Sutton but this ^^^

• Like 1

Looking forward to this match. Will be the first full 90mins that I have seen since Christmas. Just been catching hightlights after every match.

As mentioned, we are up against a really good Aberdeen side who are by far the 2nd best team in the league. Performances appear to be improving but it will be a big ask to win this one. Would be great to sneak a point.

Never say never and if Aberdeen have an off night then a Scott McDonald goal could be enough to get all three points.