2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

The first question for the manager with regard to the rebuilding process required in the summer is how many of the current squad will he keep? The undeniable and unmistakeable facts are that we have been in decline for the past two years and we have a squad with too many older players who are not going to be able to rediscover their past form. A such, even though there is a case for offering new deals to all of Hammell, Lasley and McManus, it would be churlish for a club with our budget and squad size to be able to keep all three. Perhaps the defining factor in the decision will be whether or not the management team can identify younger and cheaper alternatives both within and out with the current squad.

There has to be some progress. Cadden has been the only youth who has really contributed.

I don't believe signing on Hammell or Lasley for another season dies the club any favours. They've been great servants, but their time surely must end with this season.

If we don't recruit anyone suitable in the summer then questions have to be asked.

We've had three managers now who've failed to replace key positions adequately.

I hate to be negative, but the time has come to forget the last two seasons.

There has to be some progress. Cadden has been the only youth who has really contributed.

I don't believe signing on Hammell or Lasley for another season dies the club any favours. They've been great servants, but their time surely must end with this season.

If we don't recruit anyone suitable in the summer then questions have to be asked.

We've had three managers now who've failed to replace key positions adequately.

I hate to be negative, but the time has come to forget the last two seasons.

Ben Hall??

On the basis of our league position and performances, we've made progress this year, but it has been modest. Mark McGhee will start by looking at the players out of contract and then perhaps those he would like to move on. Then young players likely to break through. He'll look at the balance of the team ie too many strikers and not enough midfielders and only then will he look at areas of the team he wants to strengthen. Certainly the squad looks to be unbalanced in terms of age. We have McManus, Pearson, Hammell, Lasley and McFadden all on the wrong side of 30, some considerably so. Certainly if we can finish above 11th place we'll be able to make decisions and start recruiting a bit earlier than we did last season.

I noticed Flow hinting at some hoped for good news the other day on Twitter and the first thought that was that may be contract extensions for someone. And this certainly fits the bill of good news.

I think Cadden had something like a dozen "appearances" under his belt for he got the opportunity after the Hearts debacle. And given the point in the game in many of those matches he came on many of them were exactly just appearances. It does illustrate that if there is something in a youngster then it is surely in our interests to give them a sustained run of games to be able to show what they can do at first team level.

I've generally accepted the view that if there's something major at stake you go with experience and add the young guys where you can, but when you think if we can somehow integrate the likes of Hall and Cadden into teams when we've had a relegation/play-off place battle on the go, then you have to think we should be able to continue to give guys their chance as hopefully turn things around and begin to progress to better things again.

But aye, excellent news and well deserved on Cadden's part.

• Like 2

I noticed Flow hinting at some hoped for good news the other day on Twitter and the first thought that was that may be contract extensions for someone. And this certainly fits the bill of good news.

I think Cadden had something like a dozen "appearances" under his belt for he got the opportunity after the Hearts debacle. And given the point in the game in many of those matches he came on many of them were exactly just appearances. It does illustrate that if there is something in a youngster then it is surely in our interests to give them a sustained run of games to be able to show what they can do at first team level.

I've generally accepted the view that if there's something major at stake you go with experience and add the young guys where you can, but when you think if we can somehow integrate the likes of Hall and Cadden into teams when we've had a relegation/play-off place battle on the go, then you have to think we should be able to continue to give guys their chance as hopefully turn things around and begin to progress to better things again.

But aye, excellent news and well deserved on Cadden's part.

Before tonights game Cadden's league appearances are split right down the middle 8 starts, 8 sub appearances. All his starts have come this season while he had 6 sub appearances previous to this season.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that all of these folk saying that we should be looking at cutting Lasley loose after this season haven't been watching him play or reading the match reports on this forum?

He still seems able to get the job done, and whenever I've seen him he's usually among the top performers.

How many games has he missed this season through injury? By my reckoning he's on course for another 30 games + season. Couple that with his better than average performances most games I see no reason at all to suggest we should be looking to move him on.

If anything we should be trying to get him signed up as quickly as possible.

• Like 3

That must have been a reserve game you were watching Fletcher at then,because when i saw him play at Perth with the big team he was crap.

tell me then in what way did ainsworth improve the game created fewer chances don't think he touched a ball all game and fletcher in his limited time on the park has looked far better than ainsworth all season in my honest opinion

Wes Fletcher has played something like 400 minutes of first team football over 12 appearances. The equivalent of four and a half games, with a few starts but mostly 20 minute cameos here and there. Is it really fair to judge him on that?

First two games of the season, he looked decent. Injury, and the form of Louis Moult, have stopped him from coming back and getting a run in the team. I think to question whether we should retain him on the basis of his lack of ability is slightly unfair.

To question whether we should retain him on the basis of his injury record? That's another question...

• Like 2

tell me then in what way did ainsworth improve the game created fewer chances don't think he touched a ball all game and fletcher in his limited time on the park has looked far better than ainsworth all season in my honest opinion

Sorry..... but im not bothering about Ainsworth ,it was Fletcher I thought and think is not very good ie crap. but if his next start he plays a binder I will stand corrected.

Pearo out for 6 weeks

Las crocked

Time to trawl round for a wee free agent?

Law and Laing injured too

Joe Chalmers not fit either(that's just a statement of fact, not an injury update.)

A bit threadbare aren't we?

No, we've got a full squad of back up players