League Cup 2015/16

Toxteth O'Grady

Really poor performance. Won this basically because we were fitter and had more depth.

The most worrying aspect of the performance was the lack of link up play between midfield and the strikers. This only really changed when McDonald came on. Clarkson did virtually nothing.

Agree for the most part Al B - but Jack Leitch was the cause of much of that lost possession, his distribution was pitiful and that's being kind. Poor positionally and soft in the tackle, certainly not the attributes of a creative and or combatitve midfielder. Looked like the only thing he was good at tonight was holding out his hand in abject apology with alarming regularity.

That's effectively what I mean by him being hung out to dry. At this stage of his development there should be strong players around him helping his positioning at this level, but there arent...he's either watching the ball fly over his head, or chasing it. His distribution has been patchy but when he has the ball at his feet and looks up, he has literally no options...he's either forced to play the wrong pass as no-one is showing for it, or he has to just knock it back the way...which is fine as an option, but not if it's the ONLY option.

I'm not saying I don't agree with your judgement of him tonight, but you must surely have seen the difference in his game once he had Thomas and McDonald on the park, who actually worked WITH him as opposed to him having literally nothing to work from?

It's true that there's no link between the back 4 and the midfield, and no link between the midfield and the front men, but our problems start wayyyyyyyy before that's even relevant. There is no area of the field which operates as a solid and disciplined unit, and without that it's impossible to even think about a link.

We generally look like 11 guys who are superb at 5-a-side, then try to play a full size game the same way and can't figure out why it doesn't work.

• Like 2

Numbers 8, 10 and 11 for East Fife were fantastic tonight, with number 9 being outstanding...head and shoulders above everyone on the park.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=71156

Nathan Austin

Striker

Born in Hertfordshire 15th Feruary 1994 - has represented Scotland at lower age levels. Speedy forward who was signed from local amateur side, Leven United in July 2013. Nicknamed "Fash". East Fife is his first senior club.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=71156

Nathan Austin

StrikerBorn in Hertfordshire 15th Feruary 1994 - has represented Scotland at lower age levels. Speedy forward who was signed from local amateur side, Leven United in July 2013. Nicknamed "Fash". East Fife is his first senior club.

What would he cost? We should consider taking a punt on him if he was as good as some are saying tonight.

Seriously, we could even cover some of the cost by leaving him on loan at EF until January.

What would he cost? We should consider taking a punt on him if he was as good as some are saying tonight.

Seriously, we could even cover some of the cost by leaving him on loan at EF until January.

Our track record of signing people who had one good game against us in the cup is not stellar.

• Like 2

That's effectively what I mean by him being hung out to dry. At this stage of his development there should be strong players around him helping his positioning at this level, but there arent...he's either watching the ball fly over his head, or chasing it. His distribution has been patchy but when he has the ball at his feet and looks up, he has literally no options...he's either forced to play the wrong pass as no-one is showing for it, or he has to just knock it back the way...which is fine as an option, but not if it's the ONLY option.

I'm not saying I don't agree with your judgement of him tonight, but you must surely have seen the difference in his game once he had Thomas and McDonald on the park, who actually worked WITH him as opposed to him having literally nothing to work from?

For me you are looking for good young players to go out on the field and make it happen - no excuses. When you get the chance you've got to show what you can do. Look at Dom Thomas, about 80% of the time when he comes on as a sub he turns the game around and transforms the team. Leitch doesn't do that he just sort of melds into the mediocrity.

• Like 1

Cup perhaps games skew the correlation between outcome and performance that bit more than a league game. Pretty much everyone will be relieved and delighted that we managed to win, which is of course the primary objective in any Cup tie, but those looking for a performance or a sign of things moving in the right direction would probably be even more worried after the 120 minutes last night.

Had we gone out nobody could have complained. It was awful stuff. Weak in defence. No creativity. Basic ineffective punts up the park whilst the team divisions below were showing us how to play football, all encompassed in East Fife's goal.

I must be honest and thought we were done for. I didn't see a goal in us but when we did it, it fortunately changed the whole tie. From there we grew, East Fife tired and were stuck between trying to win it and hold out.

Happily extra time was something of a canter in the end and we could have easily added another couple of goals.

The outcome certainly spared Baraclough and the team from the seethe that had been growing in the support throughout the game but further displays of that nature may mean that unleashing of venom is merely postponed.

But we're through, primary objective achieved and I note seeded for the next round with a couple of higher seeded teams than us having gone. I suppose that only makes the inevitable draw at Ibrox all the more likely so they and Scottish football hierarchy can teach us a lesson for our temerity last season...

• Like 1

I think in most games we have started well this season and then drifted out of it due to concentration, Baraclough's subs, defensive errors, etc. Last night we started absolutely dreadfully and then improved a bit in the second half and then ramped it up when they ran out of petrol. Least we got there, three Premiership teams didn't. A new level will need to be found by a lot of them v Killie or we'll be bottom on Saturday night.

Ripley - kept us in it with a couple of saves but don't understand why he was motionless at the goal

Law - dragged all over the place

Laing - Not a clue what was going on, absolute shocker of a performance

Kennedy - unremarkable but OK

Chalmers - decent going forward, naive at the back

Ainsworth - questionable attitude but grew into it

Lasley - broke up the play, distribution disappointing

Leitch - as Lasley

Johnson - contributed nothing

CLarkson - subdued

Moult - Drifted back to try and make things happen and when Thomas came on was able to play as a forward more. Fine finish and good all round display with little support for 75 minutes.

Watt - didn't get long enough to judge, did fine.

McDonald - lively and determined but several poor decisions and touches

Thomas - some mistakes but at least looked lively and most likely to make something happen

Watching the post match interview - Baraclough looks frightened and clueless.

Frightened and Clueless? Was that last nights midfield pairing ? They linked well with Hopeless at the back...

Cringeworthy stuff but we have bottled out of many games like this in recent seasons.

On to Saturday, Killie humped Bereick last night. Hopefully that and our performance lights a rocket up a few arses

I wasn't at the game and won't watch the highlights as by all accounts there was nothing good to see. One thing I do know now is that I'm Louis Moults biggest fanboy. The guy exudes every attribute that should be crucial for a Steelman. Class, humility, works hard and can find the net. Easy to see why the Wrexham fans were so sad to see him go.

If we can keep a hold of this guy I think he has the potential to go down as a club legend.

Watched the interview and highlights.

Bara looked shocked and angry in my eyes. A tad defensive at times with some questions. Either because he is feeling the pressure or trying to keep the club exterior positive after going through a cup tie.

Highlights didn't tell the same story as twitter did. But I wouldn't expect them too. Laing terrible mistake for their goal. Moults goal was a belter I thought. Strong play go hold off east fife and great finish. Skippy goal showed the drive and bit of quality he brought. Ainsworth a good build up and finish. Cracking save from Ripley as well. We could and should have had about 3 more in my eyes - 2 from Moult and 1 from Skipp.

I wasn't at the game and won't watch the highlights as by all accounts there was nothing good to see. One thing I do know now is that I'm Louis Moults biggest fanboy. The guy exudes every attribute that should be crucial for a Steelman. Class, humility, works hard and can find the net. Easy to see why the Wrexham fans were so sad to see him go.

If we can keep a hold of this guy I think he has the potential to go down as a club legend.

I would watch them. For all the shite first 80 mins it seemed we had more than enough chances on the highlights and decent goals too.

Not saying I am forgetting about the first 90 and putting the majority of the performance to the side but give em a watch

• Like 1

Nice to have Louis Moult's dad on the forum. Welcome!

• Like 3

A poor game from our perspective but we did win through and I guess thats the important thing. East Fife were tricky opponents and were certainly fired up. They were very competitive and won most of the individual battles until they tired around the 70/75 minute mark. They closed our guys quickly, put in great tackles, won most of the aerial balls, were strong enough to win 50/50 balls - and thats where their success was founded. We were the exact opposite. On the ball they were quick, tidy, passed the ball well and ran well off the ball. In short we simply weren't competitive enough, much like the St Johnstone game last Saturday.

Thought Ripley was ok and had one fantastic save; Kennedy was reasonable; Moult put in a great hard working shift with little support and was rewarded with a goal. Thomas was lively when he came on but needs to improve his final ball - if and when he does that he'll be a match winner. Skippy looked lively when he came on but that was against a tiring defence. Law had a real nightmare. This impacted on an off form Laing, who was affected by Law's performance. Leitch and Lasley were outbattled by their lower league opponents and went missing when we were under pressure. Their service/support to Clarkson/Moult/Ainsworth and Johnson was also poor. Ainsworth and Johnson found it hard against multiple defenders and suffered from poor service again. Clarkson worked hard but received little support and played too deep.

Our shortcomings are exactly the same as those that have bedevilled us this season and last and remain unaddressed. Another point evident last night was that we need to cut out aerial balls - we just don't have the height up front to benefit from them.

We're through to the next round but the team certainly put us through hell last night. Had Austin's offside goal stood the mood amongst our fans would have turned very nasty indeed. You could sense the anger rising to the surface when he scored East Fife's goal. Its quite some time since I've felt that sense of raw animosity.