Hearts V Motherwell Wed 12 Aug 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Oshaniwa played all matches for Nigeria in Brazil 2014 and has real pedigree.

They got Gavin Reilly from QotS

their new boy Juanma looks the business.

Good additions to a strong young squad, however, they are not names that you would automatically assume would strike fear into an opposition. I would hope that our new recruits are comparable in quality to the boys that Hearts have brought in. In my opinion, the only side out with Celtic who have recruited a higher calibre of player is Aberdeen and I would imagine that they will be the bookies favourites for the runners up spot again this season.

Just watched the highlights they must be well edited because we did not look as bad as everyone on here is saying were a new team settling in a penalty and a goalkeeping error not exactly a thumping against Hearts who as others have said are riding high on last years exploits. Lets see how its going by Christmas

Not a thumping, because until the penalty it was difficult to see where either team were going to conjure up a goal. Even up to their second the game was there for the taking and we did engineer a few flurries towards their goal - though I doubt Alexander has had a quieter night than he did last night. I think what is disappointing to most is the lack of the 'pressing game' which featured so prominently in the destruction of Rangers and which Hearts deployed so effectively against us last night. The time and space afforded to Hearts players all over the park was criminal. Hearts players clearly had been instructed to put pressure on us immediately, which in turn led to a succession of misplaced, hurried passes, surrendering possession cheaply to them. Mirror that when they had the ball.

I have to admit there not as good a team as the media and Hertz fans would have you believe, but they are competent, something we have to strive to achieve in the coming weeks.

Why they quite had to resort to time-wasting tactics as soon as they went in front beggars belief. Callum Paterson is a f....g w..k and their number 18 is crap - happier now I've got that off my chest.

Not a thumping, because until the penalty it was difficult to see where either team were going to conjure up a goal. Even up to their second the game was there for the taking and we did engineer a few flurries towards their goal - though I doubt Alexander has had a quieter night than he did last night. I think what is disappointing to most is the lack of the 'pressing game' which featured so prominently in the destruction of Rangers and which Hearts deployed so effectively against us last night. The time and space afforded to Hearts players all over the park was criminal. Hearts players clearly had been instructed to put pressure on us immediately, which in turn led to a succession of misplaced, hurried passes, surrendering possession cheaply to them. Mirror that when they had the ball.

I have to admit there not as good a team as the media and Hertz fans would have you believe, but they are competent, something we have to strive to achieve in the coming weeks.

Why they quite had to resort to time-wasting tactics as soon as they went in front beggars belief. Callum Paterson is a f....g w..k and their number 18 is crap - happier now I've got that off my chest.

Can't disagree with much of that !

Thought we were very poor, with Hearts looking no more than average, although they didn't have to be much better last night. And agreed, until the penalty, I couldn't see us lose a goal.

As poor as we were, we did create a few good breaks, but the final ball never seemed to delivered or the right option. Skippy will do a job for us, but not in our half, he badly needs to be pushed up the park. He's not started the season particularly well, but I'm sure he knows that more than we do.

If Fletcher isn't ready for Saturday, I'd be tempted to go with Skippy and Clarkson as the attacking options - nothing against Moult so far, but he looks lost trying to play a lone striker role.

And keep it narrow when defending by all means, but the wide men disappeared last night, save for the odd occasion. We used the width to good effect in Inverness (wasn't at Utd game !), but we failed to stretch their defence too often.

Dare say I could through the team and pick faults, but at this stage, it's one bad performance, so lets see if we make a better fist of things on Saturday

MON RA DOSSERS

Just watched the BBC highlights of the game and wasn't impressed. Hearts seemed to have far too much energy, enthusiasm and pace for us in midfield. In general our defence looked to be very weak. We gave them far too much room around our box for the first which was a stupid penalty by MacDonald. The second was schoolboy stuff with our midfield, and Hammell & Johnson in particular posted missing. Ripley too didn't cover himself in glory.

All in all it looked like a replay of a game from last season. We really need to get the midfield and defence sorted out and if that means putting one or two noses out of joint then so be it.

I can only go by highlights also, very preventable goals, no way should an experienced player be tackling like that in the box, especially if he isn't 100% fit.The 2nd is down to the goalie, but so far I have been impressed by him....looks like we could have eked a point out, but for those mistakes....like I say I wasn't there tho

This has been my main concern, as at times it is difficult to predict which Motherwell team is going to turn up for the game. However, It’s still a little early in the season to judge how this campaign will pan out. Personally, I would give it 10-12 games before I start to show concerns or delight at the direction our season is moving in.

I think it's fair to say that even when we were challenging for the top 3 we were pretty inconsistent. Last time we finished 2nd we had had the least number of draws in the league. It was win our bust - fortunately we managed to keep scoring goals.

Didn't realise it was as bad at the time but McDonald's challenge for the penalty is easily one of the most stupid and ridiculous decisions I've ever seen a Motherwell player make. What the hell was he thinking?!?!

Ripley should definitely have held the second goal. Imagine if Twardzik had let that slip through his hands.....

• Like 1

Ripley should definitely have held the second goal. Imagine if Twardzik had let that slip through his hands.....

I can picture the scene…An angry mob would gather outside his house baying for blood with pitch forks in their hands. :angry::devil::aggressive: After a brief ‘your guilty’ trial by television the group would erect some make shift goal post shaped gallows (it’s what he would have wanted) from which to hang the poor blighter from. :hang::ph34r:

Interesting to hear Ian Baraclough's post match comments. He said that we lost the physical battles in midfield, which you have to win to get a foothold in the game. In short our midfield is just too soft without Pearo. Given that I'd expect another central midfielder to be brought in before the transfer window closes.

Interesting to hear Ian Baraclough's post match comments. He said that we lost the physical battles in midfield, which you have to win to get a foothold in the game. In short our midfield is just too soft without Pearo. Given that I'd expect another central midfielder to be brought in before the transfer window closes.

I suppose the positive there is that at least he sees it, which to an extent is reassuring. If he was oblivious to the need for a physical presence in the centre of the park then I'd definitely be worried.

He does appear to be "the dog that can be kicked"

Nah host becoming more evident he's done. Was done last season and really done this season. Dodgy penalty and keeper at fault for the 2nd and I say give bara a chance but lasley only going to get slower. Man love him all you want he's past it.

In answer to your question probably about twice what we have spent. Ok perhaps Inverness have gone back a bit but they're still a solid hard to beat side on their ground. Dundee United have spent a good bit more than us. That then leaves Hearts and Aberdeen. I know its not a popular thing to say but Hearts have spent big. The youthful side of 2 seasons ago has largely moved on because they weren't good enough and they've been replaced by expensive incomers. Aberdeen too have a very large budget compared to us.

I agree with most of the remainder of your post. My abiding memory of last season won't be the play offs but a series of utterly abysmal performances and an unacceptably high goals against column. Given that, I was expecting drastic surgery to our defence and central midfield but that hasn't really happened. Hopefully Conor Ripley will prove to be an improvement on George Long and Louis Laing seems to be a better player but thats about it. That said, we may sign another central midfielder. On the basis of who we have signed so far, I'm not expecting us to improve very much defensively. Attack wise I think we're very much an unknown quantity. The likes of Moult and Fletcher may take time to settle in and we shouldn't draw too many conclusions too soon about them. Overall I'm sensing a modest improvement.

On that basis I expect us to finish somewhere between 8th and 10th, probably the latter.

Tonight I think we played the wrong team and used the wrong tactics. That said I don't know if we had the critical players in the key positions. Pearo's absence was certainly a body blow and Taylor will take time to settle. Our central midfield 2 (should it have been 3 like Weeyin suggested?) was always going to be under great pressure to firstly protect our defence and secondly feed the 2 wingers and striker with a continuous supply of quality balls and I don't think they managed that.

Early days and despite my realistic (?) view of Saturday's game we have to show fight and determination.

Wow , you really think we need to have spent double what we have since January last season to get a solitary point or more from our first four league games ?? Losing the first four league games wouldve been no big issue to you ? Can i ask you then if you think that the manager is the right man for the job ? Surely under those circumstances you dont ?

I hope people are keeping an eye on the spend column and what Les Hutchison intends to do with it

Our side can't play the way it wants to if Pearo isn't playing. I think he is key to our system, and when he's out, we look lost.

To be honest im fed up listening to how great and influential Pearson is , he played at Firhill , Paisley and Hamilton after the split last season when the chips were down and folk needed to stand up and be counted and was as shite as anyone , if the manager has chosen to build a side around him then hell mend him

• Like 1

Don't post on here often.

But for what it's worth .... Penalty given away by McDonald was worse than amateurish the 2nd goal yes the goalkeeper could have done better but did you see the way Keith was left for dead in the middle of the park and the least said about Hammell's positional play and attempted to block the shot the better.

We have been sadly lacking in midfield all last year and ever since Pearson went off just before halftime at Inverness this year.

Sorry to say it but the common denominator Keith Lasley think he now has to be used sparingly

To be honest im fed up listening to how great and influential Pearson is , he played at Firhill , Paisley and Hamilton after the split last season when the chips were down and folk needed to stand up and be counted and was as shite as anyone , if the manager has chosen to build a side around him then hell mend him

He wasn't fit in the Partick game, but was rushed back. No one else in our team gets up and down the pitch and harries like Pearson. He is pivotal to our set up in my opinion.

If we had gotten the point that we probably deserved on Saturday then nobody would really be giving a fuck about Wednesday night.

I don't know about not giving a fuck but there's an element of truth in what you've said.

It was the manner of last nights defeat which has set (possibly premature) alarm bells ringing. We were abject in every department and not a single player (possibly except Ainsworth and McManus) looked capable or even up for it.

As an aside, anyone else remember McDonald booting the ball straight out the park from taking centre after their 2nd goal?!?! Jesus wept!!

That penalty is up there with the stupidest I have seen at any level, fine should be dished out for that. Keeper should be keeping out the second.

I wouldn't want to see the list of games we should have got something out of grow to large but for the timebeing I remain unworried.

Can i ask you then if you think that the manager is the right man for the job ? Surely under those circumstances you dont ?

I don't know - the jury is still out for me. He took over a very poor squad ravaged by injury but was given some cash for a short term fix in January. Play offs apart we were poor last season. To be fair he had to work to a large extent with with Stuart McCall's squad. This season he was able to bring in quite a few of his own players. We've had a very hard start to the new campaign with limited success in the 3 games so far.

Its too early to form a judgement on him so far. Perhaps we'll have a better idea of how he and the team are faring after the first round of fixtures.