Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Och don't be so melodramatic, I don't think anyone is slating him but just have a bit of concern over how he has viewed the season as a piece. Do you agree with Craigan's assessment that we have been beaten by fine margins recently?

So do you want him to say "We've been pure shite"? If he did he'd get crucified for having a negative attitude. As been said its called diplomacy. Let's hey the game out the way before the knives cone out.

I was a bit surprised to learn that the Directors are not meeting until Monday to discuss what to do about the managerial vacancy. You'd have thought they'd want to meet quickly to discuss the way ahead and get things organised. Whilst we don't want to rush into a hasty appointment we can't afford to delay things either. The only thing I can think of is that someone, maybe Alan Burrows has been remitted to manage the process in the meantime.

• Like 1

A bit concerning that Les Hutchison asked Ian Baraclough to leave without the knowledge of the Club Chairman, Brian MacCafferty. You'd have thought that he'd contact the Chairman first out of courtesy to let him know.

Agreed. The only thing that I would say is that my interpretation of Baraclough leaving was that it was a mutual thing rather than him being dismissed or being 'asked' to leave as it's portrayed in the Herald piece. It's possible that Baraclough leaving was the resolution agreed upon from the discussion between to two parties rather than it being Hutchison's intention at the outset of the conversation. That's me being fairly open minded though. Even then it seems odd that the Chairman wasn't party to the conversation.

There's a lot of that interview that, being kind, is naively worded at best. For example his assertion that "we looked at a number of people who were not left field but still very credible and could have done the job" is meant to reinforce the community club aspect and say we want a manager who "buys into what we're trying to do" (whatever that actually means, it's a turn of phrase that even McManus was using in his presser yesterday) but really to me it's an admission that they could have appointed someone with the skills to do the job but instead placed far too much emphasis on non-footballing/coaching elements of their criteria and ended up with a guy that nearly got us relegated. And...they want to appoint the same sort of guy again.

• Like 1

He won a league title and 2 cups before he joined us. Of course it was in Ireland, but it's still more than McCall, McGhee, Buther etc. had won as managers.

But also irrelevant when you are dealing with players on a day to day basis that have played in the Champions League, internationals and the upper levels of English football.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought Craigan's interview was worrying. We have been abysmal this season - and last. It's nothing to do with fine margins, being a yard or two short or whatever, we simply haven't been good enough and to try and sugarcoat it is baffling. That was a Baraclough interview 2.0.

We have been very poor this season but do you really think Hamilton Accies played superb football? Or Dundee Utd? Morton? We aren't getting smashed 5-0.

It's been 2-1, 3-2, 1-0, so of course it's margins. In 4 out of 8 matches this season 1 more goal would have got us more points out of the game, whether it be a draw or a win.

If we 'simply aren't good enough' rather than it being margins we have no chance and will finish bottom and there is nothing we can do about it.

On the other hand we can try and concentrate, get an extra point here, an extra point there, maybe steal a win, get more points on the board and then confidence will start to go up and everyone will be singing from the same hymn sheet again.

Maybe then, if we get to that point, we can start looking for some silky soccer. Right now, however, there is a lot of shit shoveling to be done.

• Like 2

Isn't it amazing how some people interpret the same information dependent upon their own viewpoint?????

For example the Craigan press conference. Some folk already touting big Crags as the man for the job and using the blokes obvious comfort in front of a camera as justification of his managerial abilities. Then on the other hand, some already claiming the guys a fud and should not be allowed near the place cos big Crags disnae know the difference between margins and a mile oot!!!!

In all honesty, what the fuck did anyone expect the bloke to say? He was about to take over the running of a football team that was obviously low in confidence, seemingly lacking in motivation, seemingly absent of team cohesion and only one cuffing away from a total collapse. He's never going to go on record as saying "they're all a bunch of pricks and I'm gonny be a wrecking ball" cos that would be just bloody stupid.

So maybe for balance, listen again to what he said regarding the number of players playing to their potential on a match day and the numbers who aren't. The players will know who exactly who he's talking about and it'll be his job to get them to respond. Why don't we just do as he himself suggested and let him show his capability for the job on Saturday.

Very much agree with your first statement. The conclusions that people draw from these interviews verges on the irrational and is hugely subjective based on an individuals viewpoint.

What struck me about that interview was how Baraclough-like the interview was. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Craigan himself may in fact have been influenced in his thinking by some of Baraclough's ideas.

The same man that might listen to Baraclough saying these words and think, imposter, car salesman, clown, bluffer etc, etc listens to Craigan and thinks, good interview, I want him to be our next manager. The reality is there is a subtle prejudice at play that has nothing to do with the words spoken.

Said in an English accent by a previously unknown manager and it's without substance, said by our previous club captain and loyal servant to the club and it's suddenly the words of a man ready to manage our club.

I happen to think it was a good interview but then I always thought Baraclough interviewed very well. What strikes me is how they all (McManus included) are becoming almost politician like in what they don't say.

The politician-like responses are all down to media training plus experience. Having been through aforesaid training myself, it's scary how identikit and bland it intentionally makes you sound, the object being not to get you or your employer into trouble. Also why someone with even a tad of honesty comes over as refreshing.

When was the last time any footballer/manager interview offered any real insight other than "we want to win" and "so and so's fit and this guy is injured"? Players and managers that don't produce the usual responses tend to be known as gobshites by fans and media alike.

No one in any job is going to publically undermine their colleagues, it's not just a football thing.

I don't know so much about footballers being tender little flowers, but could you imagine what it'd be like in your workplace where the company isn't achieving what it needs to achieve, the gaffer gets sacked and the CEOs golden boy, irrespective of experience or even qualification is stepped up to be your interim gaffer ..... And then starts running around telling everyone that you and your colleagues are a disgrace to their job and that if he had his way, he'd sack the lot of you????

You would just think prrrrrrrrrick and want to do even less!!!!!!

I pay no notice to press conferences because the real business is done well out of our site and knowledge.

• Like 2

Haven't listened to the interview, just like I didn't listen to Bara's or McCall's. Just like I switch the telly off as soon as a manager gets interviewed after a game in the EPL. It's the same answers to the same questions week after week, only the accents change.

Zero insight to be gleaned from these people, not helped by a vanilla media and analysts that are too buddy-buddy with players

McNamara seeming away from Dundee Utd ?

Even if that's true, don't want to rush into an appointment simply in case Dundee United are after the same person (and have to figure with his history with them, Paataleinen will feature in their thinking). Let's take (some) time and make the right appointment...

Question is, would Jackie Mac come into our thinking?? He has been sold short by the Utd board, selling their best players. He does seem to have a decent eye\knowledge of the younger lads down the Scottish League.

Could tie in with the identify, sign and sell on for profit later on that Les Hutchison is looking to build the club on..

Question is, would Jackie Mac come into our thinking?? He has been sold short by the Utd board, selling their best players. He does seem to have a decent eye\knowledge of the younger lads down the Scottish League.

Could tie in with the identify, sign and sell on for profit later on that Les Hutchison is looking to build the club on..

Jackie McNamara got hung by his own rope. He was due a cut of every player he sold therefore was actively touting every decent player in the first team after a few games
  • Like 1

Mcnamara had a clause that he got a cut from player sales. One of the reasons their fans were wanting him punted