Hearts V Motherwell Sat 16 January

Graeme Bremner

The idea of putting our right back into centre midfield, our left back to right back and a guy from the cold to left back appears to be going against us.

Move to Anfield just got further away.

As I said, you could tell before a ball was kicked it was a ridiculous way to line.

I totally understand the team selection issues today, but every once in a while McGhee overthinks his tactics and tries to be too clever.

Should just have been a straight swap to replace the 2 missing midfielders and leave the rest as they were.

• Like 3

Sounds like we messed around with the line up too much. So half time, Chalmers off. Back line to normal 4, Cadden in Midfield. See if we can get a goal or 2 back. Just hope the heads don;t go down and we get totally hammerd. Be interesting to see the attitude in the second half. Get stuck in and play some football or heads down and give up.

COYW lets make a game of it.

Hopefully Hearts will be over confident and that may help us get back in the game.

Over allthough, if it is a defeat as it looks like now, just a bump in the road, lesson leraned by McGhee, then lets go on another run.

We were always going to be at least a man down and position weaker with Lasley suspended and another with Grimshaw away, although Ainsworth is a more than capable player in his own way, but why weaken other areas?!?!

Moving Hammell out of left back to right back weakens left back and right back. Law is never a midfielder in a million years and Chalmers is out his depth at this level. Why not try Watt there?!?!

McGhee has fucked up badly today which along with bringing on Robinson and Cadden at the end of the Accies game is now several bad and costly mistakes in a row concerning selections.

At least he'll get asked these questions in the post match interviews.......

Over allthough, if it is a defeat as it looks like now, just a bump in the road, lesson leraned by McGhee, then lets go on another run.

Yes and no. Two points of note. One - we may have had Lasley and Grimshaw and still lost at a very tough venue. Two - we could have kept a settled defence and brought in Laing, Cadden etc and used midfielders in midfield and still lost.

Point is most fans if not all believed to mess about and play players in unusual positions was a recipe for disaster and that is how it has proved.

5-0 - I think my point is ably proved. McGhee got it badly wrong today. Sometimes he is guilty of getting ahead of himself....

Guess that plan didn't work! Robust Hearts, no kidding!! We're at best a mid-table club with the players we have, but look at the situation today, anybody can be in that 2nd bottom nightmare. So the challenge is pretty straight forward. The question is whether the boss can get enough out of the team between now and the end of the season, and I think the jury is out, given the score is now 5-0. Now the must wins are all within a point and the GA just took a big hit.

It's all very well having a go at the team selection but this is a game we could easily have lost with our first XI out.

The big problem here, as has been apparent for a while, is that without the leadership and quality of Lasley and Hammell we are a pretty ordinary team.

Did anyone really think we were going to go to Tynecastle and get a sniff in midfield without Lasley? If so, you must watch a different Motherwell team to me.

• Like 4

Did I say that McGhee has to take the blame for trying to be too clever and watch it f~ck up spectacularly

I think today is MORE of a reason why he is managing Motherwell and not Liverpool. His team selection was flawed.

I just hope this doe not dent the confidence too much as I genuinely thought we would be top 6 at this rate. Wake up call methinks