Motherwell V Ross County Sat 23 Jan 15:00

Yabba's Turd

On Tuesday, Craigan mentioned that the youth cup quarter final would probably be cancelled this weekend. I don't know if that has happened or what the reasoning is. It may be that McGhee plans to utilise one or two of the young ones...

Think it's important we go back to 3 midfielders and a winger against a robust Ross County. Time for Cadden to start on the right with Kennedy or Laing maybe coming back into contention.

2-1 Motherwell, Skippy and Moult.

Terrible team/positional selection aside there were some really bad performances individually at Tynecastle. However, I would be willing to give most the benefit of the doubt given they are the ones who took us on 6 game unbeaten run. No formation change required.

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Pearson Johnson

Moult McManus

Other options:

- Ainsworth instead of Cadden. 2 out and out wingers is a risk but with the other players back in their normal positions it could be a risk worth taking. Or leave it as an option for the 2nd half maybe.

- Move Johnson to the right, Pearson out left like he played up at Pittodrie and Cadden (or another) in beside Lasley. Could be more solid without asking players to play in positions they have not before.

Not sure that McManus has the engine and / or pace to cover both centre forward and centre half positions at the same time!

I agree with your selection though, bring in Cadden and keep Moult & Skippy up top.

• Like 6

Not sure that McManus has the engine and / or pace to cover both centre forward and centre half positions at the same time!

I agree with your selection though, bring in Cadden and keep Moult & Skippy up top.

Ha. Very true.

Skippy up top. I'd bring in Kennedy at right back in place of Law. It does leave us very inexperienced down the right hand side with Cadden/Kennedy/Hall in my 4-4-2. So, Lasley will have a big role to play there.

It does worry me slightly we might see Hammell at right back again.....

More interesting I felt during the interview was McGhee's admission about the Hamilton game and how he believed the substitution he made late on contributed to us drawing rather than winning - and how he subsequently spent that evening on the phone apologising to his players.

If you haven't watched the County preview interesting stuff. It's a direct interview rather than the usual press conference so a bit easier to follow than the mumbled questions and clicking of flash bulbs that you usually get.

Can't understand why McGhee keeps on saying he had no choice with the team lineup last week when that is blatantly not the case. Presumably if he truly believes that and with Josh Law injured for tomorrow, the back 4 that started at Hearts will be the same tomorrow. If so, I would be happy to get a point out of the game.

Regarding Laing and Kennedy....surely something must have happened in training or their attitude has been stinking.

Laing and Kennedy's fall from grace are particularly strange.

You can only presume they aren't performing in training the way he would like, but it is very strange. In particular, as even in his latest interview he was still talking up Laing for the midfield role.

More interesting I felt during the interview was McGhee's admission about the Hamilton game and how he believed the substitution he made late on contributed to us drawing rather than winning - and how he subsequently spent that evening on the phone apologising to his players.

If you haven't watched the County preview interesting stuff. It's a direct interview rather than the usual press conference so a bit easier to follow than the mumbled questions and clicking of flash bulbs that you usually get.

I found it a little strange. While it was welcoming to hear him take the blame for his subs versus Accies, he opted to elaborate on a game 3 weeks ago rather than hold his hands up for the Hearts debacle.

As folk say though, press conferences should be taken with a pinch of salt, particularly with a character like McGhee.

He did the same thing in his first spell here.

When he arrived he took against Corrigan and Brian McLean and was also reluctant to play Lasley for no descrinable reason.

To be fair to him on that one, as much as I loved Corrigan, his drop off in form from where he was, to how he was at Killie and beyond was startlingly sharp.

That said, I'd hope we haven't seen the last of either of them. Both had positives in their games, if a bit rough around the edges.