Motherwell V Kilmarnock Sat 13 Feb 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Go on, someone break it down for me. Whose fault is it this time..? I can't bear to listen to the guy...

Basically he said he thought it would work and be exciting but it didn't, went 4-4-2 and it was a bit better but still lethargic and it's his job to build the confidence back for Tuesday and they'll be in tomorrow. Didn't really blame anyone, himself or them.

Go on, someone break it down for me. Whose fault is it this time..? I can't bear to listen to the guy...

To be fair to him, he is saying he was excited to see what Skippy, Marvin& Ainsworth could bring to the party with Pearson and Cadden making runs from behind them. (Something which a few fans on here thought would work as well). It didnt work, he made changes.

He also said the performance today was the worst its been since he's been back. Can't argue with that.

For me, we were a shambles in the first half in particular. Looked as though the players had no clue where they should be playing. Time to just go to a simple 4-4-2. No overthinking, everyone knows their role, try and put some solid performances in.

utter shite

I am so disappointed in today performance and it has to be one of the worse I have seen by a Well team

how Gomez was kept on the for the second half I don't know

what is the point of signing Faddy and then not playing him!!!

I would also suggest Marvin could do with a spell on the bench, he does make great runs but his crossing is awful and how many times has he cut in from the wing and blaze a shot well wide of the goal

the only positive from today were Cadden and Thomas showing there is still hope

what is the point of signing Faddy and then not playing him!!!

I would also suggest Marvin could do with a spell on the bench, he does make great runs but his crossing is awful and how many times has he cut in from the wing and blaze a shot well wide of the goal

the only positive from today were Cadden and Thomas showing there is still hope

You're assuming that Faddy was signed to be a starter, rather than for what he can offer off the park, and as something different off the bench.

Thought Johnson was one of the few to come out with pass marks myself (along with Moult, maybe McDonald, and the youngsters). Largely ineffective first half (as with the rest) but looked the most likely to create something when linking up with Moult, and he put in a number of decent crosses right across the goals. Not his fault nobody was there to get on the end of them.

• Like 1

I generally try to take a positive view when it comes to the team and try to take something, however small from a game, but what can you take from that?

In just a few short weeks we've gone from appearing to be a competent side on an excellent run culminating in the manager getting the Manager of the Month award to a side who currently looked doomed, a manager who is increasingly alienating himself from supporters (and who knows perhaps the players too) and in recent games has given the impression he'd rather attempt to prove himself right and others wrong rather than give the team the best chance of winning. This is in danger of turning very very messy indeed.

We're by no means marooned in eleventh. There is plenty of time to sort it out. But by fuck, we're teetering on the brink of the walls caving in on us.

I've been happy enough, even in recent games when the results have gone against us, that we haven't been that far off. We haven't been a million miles away. We regressed considerably and worryingly today. I think back to when McGhee was supposedly sussing out the squad such as the last game at Killie. Even then despite his "experimentation" we had organisation, direction and a clear sense of purpose about us. There was none of that today.

When the line up was announced it smacked to me of stubbornness. What I would say is that on paper it appeared to me that if we were going to go the same formation as last week then at least with two out-and-out wingers they might perhaps be able to feed and support McDonald. Never happened.

We were fortunate to go in level at the break with Ripley having made a couple of excellent saves and several routine ones. By contrast the best we could muster was an attempted cross from Johnson and wild, loopy deflected effort. Poor.

I wouldn't say that Killie scored completely against the run of play when they got their first but we had at least attempted to take the game to them and by that stage I wasn't actually that worried about the thread they were posing. Silly me. But they got a lift whereas we just went into our shell and they cut us to ribbons with their second.

Lots of huffing and puffing thereafter with little or no threat bar Johnson hitting the side netting and Moult hitting the bar when it would have been irrelevant scoring at that stage anyway.

Desperately disappointing and worrying stuff all things considered.

Dundee Utd will be smelling blood.

• Like 4

I think Cadden has looked good in the games he has played, not one of them has been a win, but he has shown up well. Quite excited about the progress he could make. Thomas did well when he came on but he has never done it when he has started a game! Still an impact player but an effective one. Ben Hall has done fine when he has been in the team. Is there anyone else likely to come through? Perhaps the medium term looks brighter than the short term!

We definitely got the rub of the green today; a better team would have out 10 past us!

Need to see the highlights but thought there were 2 valid penalty claims for killie in first half, and their deflected shot first half was a goal in every other game.

McDonald up front alone is suicide. He is better behind the front man making play; he is not a lethal poacher.

Same story for the past 2yrs: cant keep the ball out the net; cant score or score enough to offset those conceded; cant control the midfield; lose more of the individual battles all over the pitch; players not adaptable; no leadership; tactically naive and delusional management.

Amazing what losing one player can do to a team, we look a fragile side absolutely shiting it to make a mistake.

That 1 player who is so slow now he cant tackle without fouling,dissappears in the middle of the park week in week out and struggles to play a 5 yard pass to a teammate? If our season rests on the househusbands favourite and his magical chipped pass to no-one then were proper fucked

A Lasley from 3 or 4 years ago Id bite your hand off for however

• Like 1

That 1 player who is so slow now he cant tackle without fouling,dissappears in the middle of the park week in week out and struggles to play a 5 yard pass to a teammate? If our season rests on the househusbands favourite and his magical chipped pass to no-one then were proper fucked

A Lasley from 3 or 4 years ago Id bite your hand off for however

Lasley has missed 7 matches this season and we have lost 6 of them and the one we did win, we stole the points (1-0 away to Kilmarnock).

Must be a coincidence that out of those 7, the 3 worst results of the season - defeat away to Morton, 0-6 v Hearts and then today, are included.

• Like 5

So after so many fans desperate for 4-4-2, how was that second half for you? Fans desperate for Ainsworth to play, hooked at half time... Moult must play, misses a sitter from 6 yards!!

All too easy to blame the manager again but some of these players are now hanging a third manager out to dry. Not much a manager can do when players continually misplace passes or fail to tackle. He can only make three subs and any one of ten could have been hooked today.

On another point, the end section of the east stand emptied very quickly today. It seems the 'well bois only seem to be up for it when we're winning. We could do with them supporting the team or are they more interested in pyro than the best for our team?

• Like 1

On another point, the end section of the east stand emptied very quickly today. It seems the 'well bois only seem to be up for it when we're winning. We could do with them supporting the team or are they more interested in pyro than the best for our team?

Ah, the elephant in the room. Careful now.

• Like 1

So after so many fans desperate for 4-4-2, how was that second half for you? Fans desperate for Ainsworth to play, hooked at half time... Moult must play, misses a sitter from 6 yards!!

All too easy to blame the manager again but some of these players are now hanging a third manager out to dry. Not much a manager can do when players continually misplace passes or fail to tackle. He can only make three subs and any one of ten could have been hooked today.

That's crass Mr W, even in the uber fan debate we get on here. Just over 3,700 there today, so, there are plenty voting with their feet. When the product on the park doesn't befit the support given off it (that's before our current incumbent's divisive antics) - it's easy to drift away.

• Like 1

Player wise today, McDonald did the best he could with what he had in terms of supply and Ripley stopped in being even more of a humiliation. Cadden played well and for the first time, I can see some promise in Dom Thomas. Johnson got two players of theirs booked and put in a few decent balls so he wasn't the worst. Rest of the starting eleven? Terrible doesn't cover it...

Johnston is utter cack an utter imposter. Motherwell fans always seem mesmerised by pace. He offers fpuck all from heart to performance.

"He put in a couple of decent balls" yeah and the majority were utter shite.

"He got two players booked" Id much rather he did something i couldnt do

Edited by FirParkCornerExile
  • Like 1

That's crass Mr W, even in the uber fan debate we get on here. Just over 3,700 there today, so, there are plenty voting with their feet. When the product on the park doesn't befit the support given off it (that's before our current incumbent's divisive antics) - it's easy to drift away.

I don't want to get into the whole 'uber fan' debate either but that quote above, to me, totally misunderstands the whole concept of being a supporter.

It's kinda ironic that these very people would probably be the first ones to wave banners about football supporters being seen as 'customers' when they behave like customers themselves.

• Like 1

I'm not getting into a better fan debate at all mate, just feel that they've had the plaudits where deserved in creating atmosphere when things were good. However, they also seem to be quick off the mark when the going gets tough, there's no attempt to generate a positive environment when the team needs a lift. We're very quick to decry the OF as glory hunters...

The home crowd has been under 4000 for a few years now, even when we were successful. I know that there has been a slight drop over the past wee while but I put that down to the "I'll not be back while he's in charge" brigade who made their decision before a ball was kicked!

We were certainly diabolical today with few in the management team or on the park deserving much credit. When I heard the team at 2.00 I groaned - why on earth were we going 4-5-1 (or some similar formation) with a lone striker in the form of MacDonald. Its never worked before and it sure as hell didn't work today. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to work out the results - a lone isolated striker; and a very deep midfield. We wasted the first 45 minutes with this horrible formation, with hardly one effort on goal. As more than a few commented, the midfielders didn't seem to know what they were meant to be doing. Ainsworth and Cadden don't play well together and this was again borne out. why leave out our top scorer? The right change was made at half time but the players ensured that it didn't succeed.

Ripley was the only player who received full pass marks from me. Cadden had a funny kind of game - overall not bad with some good runs but interspersed with some bad decision making and naive defending; but he's young and he'll learn. I exempt MacDonald, Moult and Johnson given that their service was abysmal. Thomas looked impressive when he came on but his final ball again let him down. The defence had an absolute shocker with Hammell in particular looking culpable at both goals, ably assisted by McManus. Law simply looks out of his depth at this level. Pearson had a poor game and Gomis looked erratic. Ainsworth didn't seem to know what he doing. Would Keith Lasley have made any difference? In short no. As an aside I've never seen us take so many poor corners.

Killie worked far harder off the ball to close us down whilst we afforded them the time and space to entertain their fans. Their much criticised defence protected their keeper very well.

Its hard to say where we go from here. Again it was our experienced players like McManus, Hammell, Pearson and Law who let us down.

• Like 2