2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

An interesting discussion about the importance of the senior players and I can see both sides of the debate. On one hand we do need to retain a certain level of experience to bring on the youngsters but on the other hand you don't want too many aged 30+ in the side. For a starting line up I would have thought two from McManus, Pearson, Hammell and Lasley. Its a fine balance to strike. Add in maybe a couple of youngsters under 20 and you're left with 7 players aged 20-30. Not an exact science but thats a reasonable balance surely? What we also have to remember is that you're not assessing senior players mainly on the basis of their fitness/performances this season but what they'll be like next season.

As for our defence only 4 clubs have shipped more goals than us this season so far. That has to improve. On the basis that Ripley has not cost us a barrowload then you have to examine the 4 outfield defenders and the midfielders. That said I would have no problem in shipping 5 goals a game if we scored 6!

Probably posted earlier in the thread but who is actually out of contract other than the 5 mentioned in the press?

What about Wes Fletcher ? Seems to be mixed info on his contract situation ?

Would be a shame if Hall leaves, but he is quite probably entitled to think if I am playing 1st team I should be on similar wage to Kennedy and Laing. Although he is a few years younger....

Probably posted earlier in the thread but who is actually out of contract other than the 5 mentioned in the press?

Leitch, Fletcher, Lasley, McManus, Hammell, McFadden, Samson, Hall, MacDonald, Clarkson and Moore. Gomis and Ripley - their loans end.

Interesting. Out of these players I'd keep McManus,Hammel, Hall, McDonald and give Moore a chance. Lasley unfortunately has come to the end of his playing days but would like to see him in a coaching capacity.

What about Wes Fletcher ? Seems to be mixed info on his contract situation ?

Would be a shame if Hall leaves, but he is quite probably entitled to think if I am playing 1st team I should be on similar wage to Kennedy and Laing. Although he is a few years younger....

A player at the Sponsors Evening confirmed that Wes was away at the end of the season. The club had the option of another year, but won't be taking it up.

An interesting discussion about the importance of the senior players and I can see both sides of the debate. On one hand we do need to retain a certain level of experience to bring on the youngsters but on the other hand you don't want too many aged 30+ in the side. For a starting line up I would have thought two from McManus, Pearson, Hammell and Lasley. Its a fine balance to strike. Add in maybe a couple of youngsters under 20 and you're left with 7 players aged 20-30. Not an exact science but thats a reasonable balance surely? What we also have to remember is that you're not assessing senior players mainly on the basis of their fitness/performances this season but what they'll be like next season.

As for our defence only 4 clubs have shipped more goals than us this season so far. That has to improve. On the basis that Ripley has not cost us a barrowload then you have to examine the 4 outfield defenders and the midfielders. That said I would have no problem in shipping 5 goals a game if we scored 6!

I especially agree with the first bit of this. Tottenham Hotspur's games with West Brom and Chelsea highlight the importance of not over-relying on kids, no matter how talented they are as in both games they were in a winning position but had nobody to take the game by the scruff of the neck and drag them over the line and I think that is why people like McManus, McDonald and Lasley are incredibly helpful to have around. My inclination would be to try and keep those three over Hammell and Pearson purely because they are better at keeping themselves fit.

Was at the Queens Park v Clyde match today and although they lost the match I was quite impressed with Queens Park. Played good football on the ground and most of their players had decent technique and pace.

Liam Brown, only 17 years old, looked like he could easily play at a higher level. He's very light weight but I think it will be worth keeping an eye on this guy.

Was at the Queens Park v Clyde match today and although they lost the match I was quite impressed with Queens Park. Played good football on the ground and most of their players had decent technique and pace.

Liam Brown, only 17 years old, looked like he could easily play at a higher level. He's very light weight but I think it will be worth keeping an eye on this guy.

I rarely listen to the radio these days but had the Spiders - Bully game on my headphones for a bit yesterday and the folk on Radio Scotland were saying very much the same thing both in terms of Queen's Park's style of play and the guy Brown, whom they believed was on the radar of some Premiership sides.

When they interviewed him after the game he gave one of those could be saying nothing but could be saying everything kind of answers "we'll see what happens". in terms of his future.

Kieran Kennedy sounding like he is away on Twitter too.......'Not the way we wanted to finish the season but Really enjoyed my year in Scotland big thanks to the fans for all the support!'.

He's clarified the tweet. says he meant to say his first year in Scotland and states he'll be back next season.

• Like 1