Scottish League Cup - First Round Motherwell V Rangers Sat 16 Jul 15:00

texanwellfan

People said were told 5 mins from end to leave now or would be held in seemingly all to do with this massive fine hanging over us but would like the club to come out and inform fans what's going on as only seems to be Motherwell fans being affected by it loads of pitch invasions end of last season Ayr and Killie spring to mind but nothing mentioned we only seem to be suffering because old firm involved but that's now 2 seasons ago how long is this going to be hanging over us

Two teams that's were not match fit given how early we are to the season.

We could have had about 5 and they could also have had about 5. They just managed to to take a couple of them.

Decent enough performance and I think we will be absolutely fine this season.

People said were told 5 mins from end to leave now or would be held in seemingly all to do with this massive fine hanging over us but would like the club to come out and inform fans what's going on as only seems to be Motherwell fans being affected by it loads of pitch invasions end of last season Ayr and Killie spring to mind but nothing mentioned we only seem to be suffering because old firm involved but that's now 2 seasons ago how long is this going to be hanging over us

Well it was only in Jan/Feb this year the SPFL ruled and effectively gave us an 18 month suspended sentence. So, it will be hanging over us until then end of this season.

If the Rangers player getting hit with a pie is reported,where do the club stand with the suspended sentence?

I would imagine it won't help...the wording was all about unacceptable conduct and the club not dealing with fans correctly whose conduct was deemed unacceptable.

I wondered what the Lee Wallace chants were all about. From the main stand you couldn't really hear it that well

I take it that Chapmans aren't doing the pies this season ?????

Clearly not for the past few seasons, back to the dry, sawdust pies seen everywhere. Crowd was pretty poor however, whilst this doesn't apply to me, a new fan in the Cooper yesterday would not have been impressed. The stand was absolutely boggin.

Regarding the game while I think there is a lot of positives to take, McDonald had merited a few grunts from the back of the Cooper for being a bit greedy on a couple of occasions. Moult made a huge difference and it's devastating to hear he is out for a month or so. I wouldn't be too concerned over the amount of posession Sevcos rang up, it was clear what Mcghee was trying to achieve. Bottom line is though goals win games not chances or posession, they scored two quality goals, while we were a bit disorganised inside the box.

If the Rangers player getting hit with a pie is reported,where do the club stand with the suspended sentence?

He didn't get hit thankfully but it was close and we were inches away from disaster. If he had been struck then there would have been repercussions.

I'm no fan of stewarding and policing but I'm afraid our guys go on about 'heavy hands' and yet can't seem to behave themselves. The list of incidents gets longer and longer and the reputation of the club is suffering, so might our bank balance when we are already struggling financially.

In a sense the club has to do things like this now because our fans just can't be trusted having been given warning, after warning all to no avail. The 'we, the persecuted' chat starts to wear thin after a while and we are getting to that point pretty rapidly now.

Everyone knows where the line is, and yet some of us can't seem to stay on the right side. If these guys have the club at heart they need to start showing it in a way that really counts.

• Like 1

Apart from the scoreline and losing to them, I actually enjoyed the game. The league cup may have its critics, but that was way better than a pre-season friendly. It was actually not a bad game to watch.

After Hibs I was way worried. After yesterday less so.

Over the piece Rangers were better, but if we had managed to score 1 or 2 of our early chances you never know. No real surprise either as again their playing budget will be anywhere between 5 and 10 times ours and perhaps more.

If Johnson could score he would be worth his £1.5m possibly more as he has energy to burn and must be a defenders nightmare. I was impressed by the new additions. Especially Tait and McHugh. Blyth I suspect will fight it out with Moore to be back up to Moult (when fit) and Skippy. Not been overly impressed by him but early days.

Sadly Ainsworth and Dom Thomas showing similar form to late last season. Both have the talent but never seem to get to their promise. Explains why they are usually on the bench.

All in all a good workout. Suspect we will need to win 3 games to be one of the best 4 runners up.

He didn't get hit thankfully but it was close and we were inches away from disaster. If he had been struck then there would have been repercussions.

I'm no fan of stewarding and policing but I'm afraid our guys go on about 'heavy hands' and yet can't seem to behave themselves. The list of incidents gets longer and longer and the reputation of the club is suffering, so might our bank balance when we are already struggling financially.

In a sense the club has to do things like this now because our fans just can't be trusted having been given warning, after warning all to no avail. The 'we, the persecuted' chat starts to wear thin after a while and we are getting to that point pretty rapidly now.

Everyone knows where the line is, and yet some of us can't seem to stay on the right side. If these guys have the club at heart they need to start showing it in a way that really counts.

To whoever threw the pie,if it happened ......Do you go to your work and get things thrown at you ? You also must be in a well paid job,to spend over £2 on a pie and then throw it away. You're not doing the club any favours , so why don't you stay in the house on a Saturday......you can throw pies at the telly

Sadly Ainsworth and Dom Thomas showing similar form to late last season. Both have the talent but never seem to get to their promise. Explains why they are usually on the bench.

Think this is very unfair on Thomas. He came on in a game where we were being completely dominated in the middle of the field, a match where we were almost defending our 6 yard line at points. Thomas was the one player who wanted to get forward every time he got the ball. He had very little support when the team was sitting so deep.

It's also worth noting that Dom Thomas, and this is off the top of my head but I think it is correct, has had 2 first team starts in his entire career. Start him in front of Ainsworth. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out but you have to give the guy a chance before you write him off.

• Like 1

Think this is very unfair on Thomas. He came on in a game where we were being completely dominated in the middle of the field, a match where we were almost defending our 6 yard line at points. Thomas was the one player who wanted to get forward every time he got the ball. He had very little support when the team was sitting so deep.

It's also worth noting that Dom Thomas, and this is off the top of my head but I think it is correct, has had 2 first team starts in his entire career. Start him in front of Ainsworth. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out but you have to give the guy a chance before you write him off.

He does need game time and I agree 100% with you there. However what concerned me was that although he was willing to run at defenders he was very very easily knocked off the ball and dispossessed. At the end of last season many of us had 2 concerns about his game 1) All too often there was no end product to his good leading up play 2) He was too lightweight and easily dispossessed. Now I can't speak about the first as on Saturday he never quite got that far. However he does not appear to have bulked up and gained more strength. If he is going to progress in the game then he has to address both weaknesses.

Mark McGhee knows about these deficiencies and to his credit the lad does too.

Usually coming out of a defeat with the Old Firm I am generally pissed off. Not sure if it was the first half display or the fact this was in new early league cup format but I was surprisingly upbeat.

I thought we started very very well. Johnson's pace was reeking havoc and exposed Rangers' defensive frailties. McHugh added bite in Midfield and I thought the new boy at the back looked steady enough adding extra presence.

Ultimately we didn't take our chances, throughout the game we had atleast 5 good ones. Rangers didn't have much more than this despite their second half possession, difference was they made them count.

I was disappointed with our second half approach, we gave them too much respect and deliberately stood off them. On the few occasions where we did press high it resulted in them giving the ball away. On the whole I thought some of our attacking play was really encouraging and at the back I think the two additions will leave us stronger than last year. The only big worry I have is Stevie Hammell. Thought he looked a mile off the pace. Could be his age, could be that it's pre-season but he was caught out of position numerous times. It's time for Thomas to make an impact as well. There was a lot of hype about him but the sub appearances he has had in the past year have resulted in him trying to beat 4 players then giving the ball away. Clearly talented but he needs do more.

As for Police Scotland, it basically sums up the way football fans are treated in this country. Absolutely disgusting scenes, and a problem that was CREATED by the Police. Had they not attempted to kettle fans in there would have be no issues. The fact this was going on whilst Rangers were singing sectarian songs makes it even more ridiculous. This is driving people away from football and the club needs to make a statement expressing that the action of the police was inflammatory and could have caused a crush scenario. Media attention needs to be drawn to this incident as the decision made by Police Scotland here was totally moronic.

I agree that Thomas has had limited first team chances however the fact of the matter is when he does get a chance he has done nothing. He consistently gets the ball and tries to beat numerous men and 9/10 loses the ball. He has been in the first team squad for quite some time now and if his performances don't change I would look to loan him out to a championship side.

Agree with everything that's been said about Thomas. There was one moment when he came on that he beat a man or two and played the ball and it contributed to a good attacking move. Other than that I think he got dispossessed trying to do too much every time. Hopefully McGhee and the other coaches can get him to look up more, like Johnson should be doing too.

Someone might have mentioned it already - but do folk know if Moore was injured at thr weekend? Or just not picked in the squad?

I just assumed he was just that bit further down the pecking order to get on the bench as in McDonald>Moult>Blyth>Moore>Mackin, no more than that, particularly when we didn't have two central strikers to start with.

Aside from Blyth, Thomas also provided an attacking option from the bench.

If Moult is out for for the forseeable I would expect to see him on the bench at least over the next three games especially given he has netted consistently against First Division and Second Division sides whilst on loan.