Scottish League Cup - First Round Annan Athletic V Motherwell Sat 23 Jul 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I'm not sure Melvin. Fail to win in 90 mins and we are most probably out.

Last season we were outplayed on a perfect pitch at East Fife before McDonald and Moult (iirc?) got us out of jail in extra time. I think we need to go with strongest team possible if we are taking this competition seriously. I wouldn't be surprised however if we protect the likes of Hammell due to plastic surface.

Strongest team for me as well we can make changes for the east Stirlingshire game on the Tuesday.

This.

Annan just missed out on promotion last season and scored a lot of goals in fact they scored in every home match, league and cup last season. Also worth noting they took some cup scalps last season thrashing Hamilton 4-1 and beating higher division sides like Airdrieonians and St. Mirren. Queen of the South only beat them 4-3 in extra time.

Not sure how similar their line up is this season is with last, but I did notice Stranraer signed Smart Osadolor from them and Josh Todd went to Dumbarton so maybe they have lost a little bit of potency in front of goal but I think this is a tie where we need to be careful because if they score, especially a first goal, it could be tricky.

Haven't rolled over against Rangers or Stranraer in either game so far, although a third game in a week for a part time team is a big ask and they might fade a bit but I don't think you can count on that.

Haven't rolled over against Rangers or Stranraer in either game so far, although a third game in a week for a part time team is a big ask and they might fade a bit but I don't think you can count on that.

We should be looking for a 2 goal win at the very least to ensure we're in the mix for a best runners up spot. I didn't know until recently that a lot of part time lower league clubs train over the summer and thats why they appear fitter come the start of the new season.

as long as we score at least 1 goal more than annan I,ll be content. to answer a query further back, we phoned annan fc regarding stand/terracing. it seems disabled fans should be ok to sit in the stand, but have nothing in writing so to speak. so I,m hoping that,s the case & I hopefully can enjoy the game & result!!!!! coyw

What is the criteria for splitting teams on the same points? Goal difference? Head to head?

Think Stranraer play Rangers on Monday whilst we have them the Saturday after that. So assuming it did come down to goal difference, even if they beat Rangers you are at least going down there knowing what is required.

Not to say that might be enough for one of the four places of course.

Just need to win all three healthily and fingers crossed it'll be good enough I suppose.

I note with caution that Rangers play Stranraer last and may still hold a grudge over the play-offs...

Behave yourself.

A fair chunk of their support may be clueless simpletons, but Rangers have now got their hands on a very good manager. He'll ensure they complete a clean sweep of victories, and I very much doubt he'll be giving a shit about Motherwell. He's already taken care of us.

As I said previously, it's all in Motherwell's hands. 9 points, and anything above a +4 goal difference, should see us through to the next round.

• Like 3

Based on hee-haw I reckon 3 win's would be enough no matter what. Wouldn't surprise me if a team got through on 8 points either.

Suppose we'll have a better idea after another round of games on Saturday.

Lets just get that win on the board tomorrow and worry about permutations next weekend.

I think 9 points will do it no matter what goal difference is but just need to win next 2 and picture should be clearer after that but would be nice to win next 2 games with something to spare just to make sure as minus 2 goal difference currently so even 2 goal win tomorrow and 3 on Tuesday should put us in good position going into last game

Looking forward to our Euro adventure (well nearly in England). Only as I am driving somewhat sober than those trips.

A new ground albeit one with a synthetic pitch. They bring back horrible memories. Hopefully we can help erase them today. Still any team that goes to Ibrox and concedes same as we did at home to the h*ns deserves respect.

We do need to win and ideally in 90 minutes or the next 2 games actually do become pre-season friendlies...

Looks like around 600 Well fans which is reasonably good going in July. Pay at the gate also. Small ground should be a good friendly atmosphere.