Scottish League Cup - First Round Annan Athletic V Motherwell Sat 23 Jul 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Maybe this will be the game where the strike force finally start taking the chances and hand out that long overdue thrashing we keep hearing about.

A 9 or 10 goal tally would do the confidence a world of good - although I'd happily settle for 2-0 to the good guys.

Annan gubbed Accies in January so this might not be as easy as people think.

No games are easy, however, we should not be losing these kind of games. This will be on a par with Albion Rovers if Annan take anything from this cup tie. I fully expect us to approach this game in the correct manner and secure all 3pts.

Anyone know times and prices of Wishaw supporters bus to Annan game please?

Wishaw stopped running a bus towards the end of last season due to lack of numbers I believe. Not aware of plan for this season.

Contact andysim2@sky.com for info. Central attempting to run bus, see Shoutbox, as always price will depend on numbers I guess.

Looks like I'll be driving through, but still spaces on Central branch bus for around £11 pp.

Had a look at trains earlier and it's possible to get there for £13.10 return from Glasgow if pre-booked , but not easy as cheap trains are at shit times.

Outward....

Virgin train

d Glasgow 1109

A Carlisle 1225

then Carlisle to Annan Sscotrail train 20 min journey eg d 1312, a 1331

Return

take time leaving Annan as cheap Carlisle to Glasgow train is

d Carlisle 1911

a Galsgow 2034

I'm watching a stream of their game against Rangers currently.

Aside from cliche ridden chat about blue pounds I've learned some vital information that apparently all of Croatia support Rangers (because some fair to middling Croatian striker once played for them) and John Brown is now considering going there his holidays so he can be among the Rangers family (aww nice) and Niko Kranjar is a "big unit". Honestly this is the level.

And despite the fact that from the superlatives being dished out to all their players you might be forgiven you're watching Real Madrid rather than Rangers, as I type it's only 1-0 and that has come from a pretty impressive strike from outside the box. It remains to be seen if Annan tire but there's more than enough organisation and solidity about them to have limited Rangers to that single goal.

• Like 2

We've had a full week to prepare for this. Annan are going into this four days after a trip to Ibrox. We should be winning this with plenty to spare.

Difficult to work out exactly what would be needed to get through as one of the best runners up, but 9 points with a goal difference of around +4 or +5 should be enough.

3-0 Motherwell

For this I'd go with

Samson

Tait

Heneghan

McManus

Hammell

Cadden

McHugh

McLean

Thomas

Blyth

Johnson

I'd keep the same back four as they need games to gel and Hammell looks like he needs games for sharpness. I'd play Thomas, Blyth and MacLean as we need to give them games to see if they are ready for the first team. Giving them 20 minutes at the end of a game doesn't give them any real chance to get to grips with a game. With more starts, comes more match awareness and increases their ability to make an impact if they do have to come off the bench at some point.

Risky? Yes. But we could have the likes of McDonald and Ainsworth on the bench as options and if these guys can't do it against Annan a few days after they've had to chase the ball for 90 minutes around Ibrox then it probably gives the manager the message that he shouldn't be relying on them in the SPL this season...