Challenge Cup 2016'17

livivoice

Yea another game to go to sure they will bring a few as big game for them and maybe we will have a few more as a derby hope it's at Fir Park would make sense wonder if it would still be main stand only if that's the case

It's Motherwell fans that make the Lanarkshire Derbies. We are the only fans who travel to these games in numbers.

Playing Airdrie or Hamilton makes no difference to me. Just does not feel like a derby. Maybe because since I started going in early 90/91 ish we haven't regularly played them. Not sure.

Surely that Scottish Cup tie back in 2007 when Kenny Black was Airdrie manager felt like a derby? If I recall it had a substantial crowd. We filled two stands and I'm sure Airdrie almost filled their main stand which I think is around 3,500, which is a bumper crowd considering their average attendance is below 1k!

Surely that Scottish Cup tie back in 2007 when Kenny Black was Airdrie manager felt like a derby? If I recall it had a substantial crowd. We filled two stands and I'm sure Airdrie almost filled their main stand which I think is around 3,500, which is a bumper crowd considering their average attendance is below 1k!

It just never felt like a derby. Felt like a busy game but it never really gets me going like a derby should I think!

The Accies game meant something to me only because I lived in Hamilton and had a lot of Accies supporting mates. So bragging rights were important, especially at school.

Games against teams like Hearts, however, always felt more derby-ish, just because of the history.

This is an intriguing draw on a few levels.

There have been games against Accies in recent times where perhaps we haven't been favourites, even if there has still been a high level of expectation on us to get a result, but It will be a little odd going into a Lanarkshire derby where the the pressure is all on the opposition.

A full-time team with half a dozen games behind them against our U20's, with our range of ages down as far as fifteen year olds and with just one or two games behind them. When viewed in that context they really should be strong favourites.

But the underdogs tag I think will suit us nicely in this one. We've nothing at all to lose. Even if we're beaten it'll be a great experience for our 20's team. I'm sure if the tie is played at Fir Park there will a decent Motherwell support keen to back them hopefully that will inspire the youngsters in much the same way the larger backing they had at Hampden did.

And personally with a number of good mates who are Airdrie fans if our U20's were to turn over their first team? Oh I could dine out on that one for years!!!

• Like 2

I remember Jimmy Boyle scoring in the 120th minute to put us out the League Cup at Fir Park in about 93/94ish. Definitely felt like we'd lost a derby in the last minute of injury time!

And if I remember correctly Airdries last ever top tier match was a beating off Motherwell when Ally Graham scored what I think where his only goals for Motherwell.

• Like 1

If we're bearing our souls the 3-0 loss at Fir Park in 1992 is the one I regret most.

In those days I would never, ever, leave a game early regardless of the result but that one was just too much to stomach and I began to storm out in disgust after their third. I regretted it almost immediately as I knew my Airdrie mates behind the goals would be watching with increasing glee with every step up the stairs. As I have been reminded on countless occasions since...

Cannot wait for this, I hate this lot whether it's Onians/United/Clydebank. Remember my dad telling about the semi final in the mid seventies where we were robbed and that always sticks with me. If our unders beat them I don't think we'll never let them live it down!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of popping along to this tonight as I missed Saturday's game. I enjoyed the under 20's cup final but expect this to be too much of a step up. Of course that depends if Airdrie take this as a chance to try some of their own youth players or go with the full team.

I'm not at all clued up on the cut off dates that determine whether someone is eligible for this season U20's or this competition but if they were eligible this would seem a decent opportunity both to give the likes of David Ferguson and Dom Thomas some game time whilst adding to the "small" squad that Craggs referred to in his interview on MFC TV yesterday.