Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

On 6/21/2023 at 1:47 PM, weeyin said:

I was interested to see Nicky Devlin move to Aberdeen.

I remember when he was at Dumbarton he was being touted as the "next big thing" and we were excited to sign him.

Then after that he was just farmed out on loan to lower league clubs until he signed for Stenhousemuir.

In his most recent stint at Livi I can't say he's ever stood out to me as being anything other than decent, so was a bit surprised that Abedeen went for him - even with the defensive issues they've had in the past season or two.

Nicky Devlin was right good and I would have loved us to go for him.

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

Yes, confirmed on SKY. 82 years old.

RIP

In a previous job, on occasion I worked quite closely with SPFA (PFA Scotland) Education Committee, and it was obvious how highly regarded he was whenever he attended any meetings.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:47 PM, weeyin said:

In his most recent stint at Livi I can't say he's ever stood out to me as being anything other than decent, so was a bit surprised that Abedeen went for him - even with the defensive issues they've had in the past season or two.

He was considered one of the best right backs in the league.  Hearts were also interested.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Disappointing to see the club’s kind words to Richard Tait following his retirement.

I find them very odd. He wasn't with us that long, left under a cloud  and we don't usually post such messages about former players retiring from other clubs. Downright strange. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I find them very odd. He wasn't with us that long, left under a cloud  and we don't usually post such messages about former players retiring from other clubs. Downright strange. 

He was with us 4 years including captain at Hampden and when we finished 3rd.

Sometimes people get upset when contract negotiations don't go their way and say things in the press. It's certainly not unusual, however, for them to make amends later and put it behind them.

It's can also be the case that the player falls out with an individual in the club (or Board) rather than everyone there.

You want to see how bridges can be mended, look no further than Brian Kerr. Bad mouthed us in the press when he moved to Hibs, and ended up back at the club as a coach and assistant manager.

My one abiding memory of Dickie Tait was the 0-0 v sellik at fir park, kipre sent off for hee haw after Broon overreacted. Late on in game Sellik clean through, dickie sprinted length of pitch to make great tackle.    Though I agree unusual for club to put out statement 

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

You want to see how bridges can be mended, look no further than Brian Kerr. Bad mouthed us in the press when he moved to Hibs, and ended up back at the club as a coach and assistant manager.

Aye and look how that ended up