Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

31 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Mandarin wasn’t THAT bad, but happy he hasn’t re-signed. Obika is a better player.

Still needing another striker, or maybe Efford is being put into that role. Not exactly loving our forward options going into the new season so far. 

He was a very limited footballer.

For a big man, he was useless in the air, he wasnt quick and looked like he was running in quicksand.

He did however tie up defenders and keep them occupied to allow KVV to do his thing. So far that, I thank him greatly!

The financial choices we have made over the last 3yrs are now as I said 3yrs ago are coming to roost. We are in for a very tough 3-5yr period unless we can secure some external investment within this time through investors/player sales

the magnitude of the conditions Steven hammell was told to work under will be seen this season and I really feel for SK who has an enormous task on his hands this season

huge pressure now on the youth coming to the fore and being a success this season. Anything above the play off will be the aim this year

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

the magnitude of the conditions Steven hammell was told to work under will be seen this season and I really feel for SK who has an enormous task on his hands this season

Im curious about this.

Without betraying confidences, what are the conditions he was being asked to work under?

He didnt get a lot of money to spend when GA got emptied, but the board backed him big time in the January window.

With hindsight, way more money was spent than was actually required to rectify the situation.

17 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Im curious about this.

Without betraying confidences, what are the conditions he was being asked to work under?

He didnt get a lot of money to spend when GA got emptied, but the board backed him big time in the January window.

With hindsight, way more money was spent than was actually required to rectify the situation.

Don’t want to go into too many specifics but I think the financial constraints we were under last year is clear to see when a new Chief exec last days in post before chucking it and you start seeing folk moving on rapidly (that will continue by the way both in public and quietly)

you would be surprised at how little was spent on the 4 initial signings in aug (next to nothing) and in bringing in the ones we did in jan. 

effectively running with a reduced budget again for this summer and given Van veen went and there’s no money from that says all you need to know about where to level our realistic expectations for this year 

posts of £400k+ for van veen are wild off the mark from my understanding 

youth was the desire last summer to build on but youth becomes an absolute necessity this summer as we start to see the repayments of covid loans/pitches and a loss of income when we gave season tickets away following covid. A lack of sales from transfers and extended contracts given at a time or uncertainty in the world is and will play its part now over the course of the next few years 

hopefully we can strike it lucky with a couple of young players playing a blinder up to Xmas to get some much needed cash in the door in Jan

Just now, Dossertillidie2 said:

Don’t want to go into too many specifics but I think the financial constraints we were under last year is clear to see when a new Chief exec last days in post before chucking it and you start seeing folk moving on rapidly (that will continue by the way both in public and quietly)

you would be surprised at how little was spent on the 4 initial signings in aug (next to nothing) and in bringing in the ones we did in jan. 

effectively running with a reduced budget again for this summer and given Van veen went and there’s no money from that says all you need to know about where to level our realistic expectations for this year 

youth was the desire last summer to build on but youth becomes an absolute necessity this summer as we start to see the repayments of covid loans/pitches and a loss of income when we gave season tickets away following covid. A lack of sales from transfers and extended contracts given at a time or uncertainty in the world is and will play its part now over the course of the next few years 

hopefully we can strike it lucky with a couple of young players playing a blinder up to Xmas to get some much needed cash in the door in Jan

Also just to add remember in jan the outgoings we made along with the sale of Sol. I’m led to believe we worked to a break even against the outgoings in wages to what was contributed to the incomings

3/4 experienced players in amongst the youth is prob best case this season

13 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

We gave the season tickets away because it was part of getting the business interuption insurance payout.

The Covid loans are interest free and repayable over 20 years. Inflation over the period since we took the loan is sitting at roughly 15%. It's going to inflate away to basically nothing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Interesting.

Who was the new Chief Exec? The boy McGhee?

I presume Lennon Miller is a stick on to start the season then?

I would be genuinely annoyed if we didnt get £400k plus for KVV. Without knowing the contents of his contract extension, you would have to think his goals are worth a few hundred k in league position alone.

Re the 3/4 experienced players. Is that in addition to what we already have?

I can see Danzaki, Maguire and possibly Sheilds going out the door, but not too many others surplus to requirements unless we can get others in.

Still think we need a LB, CB, MF and possibly a FWD if Sheilds is moved on.

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We gave the season tickets away because it was part of getting the business interuption insurance payout.

The Covid loans are interest free and repayable over 20 years. Inflation over the period since we took the loan is sitting at roughly 15%. It's going to inflate away to basically nothing. 

Regardless of the reasons we credited the season tickets it still effects cash flow and regardless of interest rates the loan stands as a significant outgoing each month that we didn’t have 2019/2020

You can’t play down the significance of these

2 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Regardless of the reasons we credited the season tickets it still effects cash flow and regardless of interest rates the loan stands as a significant outgoing each month that we didn’t have 2019/2020

It doesn't affect cashflow in the slightest as its basically paid from the Insurance which didn't touch our budget. As for the loan its interest free so there is no regardless about it. Yes we pay it back over twenty years and anyone in business turning down such an offer would have been mad. It helped us out. We put it to good use and are paying it back. Your overly dramatic

5 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

If the figures about reduced maintenance costs on the pitch are true the loan will pay for itself. And in real terms the repayments get smaller every year. 

I don't understand how cash flow can still be hit by the season ticket decision from two years ago when we got the insurance payout? 

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If the figures about reduced maintenance costs on the pitch are true the loan will pay for itself. And in real terms the repayments get smaller every year. 

I don't understand how cash flow can still be hit by the season ticket decision from two years ago when we got the insurance payout? 

I guess cause the insurance went into completing work we wouldnt have otherwise done, so wasnt absorbed into the running costs (as the purpose of the loan didnt allow for that) and therefore didnt assist with cashflow?

29 minutes ago, Well Well said:

It doesn't affect cashflow in the slightest as its basically paid from the Insurance which didn't touch our budget. As for the loan its interest free so there is no regardless about it. Yes we pay it back over twenty years and anyone in business turning down such an offer would have been mad. It helped us out. We put it to good use and are paying it back. Your overly dramatic

So you know for sure that

the insurance payout = the complete loss of revenue from season ticket holders?

there wasn’t an insurance company in the land paying the fully insured cover during covid, despite the supreme courts ruling.  And those who did pay out under that ruling took absolutely everything into consideration to dilute funding and payouts inc all over heads/ reduction of overheads as a result of the stadium lying empty and any Government subsidies to which I believe we were a benefactor of including the likes of furlough

You take out revenues and don’t replace them then run into the following seasons overheads which have been reset after a period of non trading/including transfer activity then of course your cash flow gets hit that following year and if you don’t build on that with a couple of big wins then the run continues. Any cash reserves we had will most certainly have been hit. 

Covid and the decisions we made with the likes of the  income we  did have ( ie turnbull money) have effected where we are now 

we used turnbull money to plug holes , the cash flow holes I am highlighting 

38 minutes ago, Well Well said:

It doesn't affect cashflow in the slightest as it’s basically paid from the Insurance which didn't touch our budget. As for the loan its interest free so there is no regardless about it. Yes we pay it back over twenty years and anyone in business turning down such an offer would have been mad. It helped us out. We put it to good use and are paying it back. Your overly dramatic

And if the insurance payout didn’t cover our budget as you have put then where did the cash for our “budget” that year then come from?

For a club who have spent almost 40 years in top flight, we don't seem to have prospered financially too well ... hopefully previous poster dtid is painting a gloomier picture than reality but does seem to have some inside knowledge.

Maybe a chance for one or two of the young boys to step up...this could be a test for SK...

3 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

Let’s try not to become prophesiers of Armageddon let’s leave that to the Jehovahs Witnesses. There’s time left on the clock and I’m sure we’ll have a few new faces in the door by match day 3 of the season

That’s prob accurate. New faces coming in at the last minute is the Motherwell way (saves a months wage at least) 😂 

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I guess cause the insurance went into completing work we wouldnt have otherwise done, so wasnt absorbed into the running costs (as the purpose of the loan didnt allow for that) and therefore didnt assist with cashflow?

It's two different things. One is Business Interruption Insurance that the club had which is why they offered refunds on 20/21 Season Tickets which everyone used to pay for the 'free' season. The other is the interest free 20 year Scottish Government loan which had the (fairly pointless) stipulations.

• Like 2