Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

I see McKinstrey is still to find a new club but wants to return to Scotland.
That’s the only thing that’s confused me under Kettlewell’s reign as McKInstrey was probably the only shining light other than van veen under the previous regime.

I thought he was a potentially great wee player. I’d have thought he’d try and accommodate him somewhere in the side rather than just dropping him completely. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mio said:

I see McKinstrey is still to find a new club but wants to return to Scotland.
That’s the only thing that’s confused me under Kettlewell’s reign as McKInstrey was probably the only shining light other than van veen under the previous regime.

I thought he was a potentially great wee player. I’d have thought he’d try and accommodate him somewhere in the side rather than just dropping him completely. 

He clearly has positive aspects to his game. The short answer is anyone who's a forward player but not an out and out striker has no place in the way we play. 

McKinstry similar Tierney had some positive aspects but without a clear position and ultimately no place in the team

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Then why is Bair continually getting a start?! 

Because he is a big battering ram that holds the ball up and occupies centre halves to allow our midfield to get into advanced positions. Neither Tierney or McKinstrey could do that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Because we have nobody else in the squad who is better and fit to play, simples

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Because he is a big battering ram that holds the ball up and occupies centre halves to allow our midfield to get into advanced positions. Neither Tierney or McKinstrey could do that.

My point was in reference to the implication that Bair is an ‘out and out striker‘, which he’s clearly not.  I don't disagree with the other points. 

34 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Neither McKinstry or Tierney were out and out strikers .Bair is. He's a target man.  A big hard working lad who's putting in 100%. 

I very much doubt he's a long term solution but full credit to any player who does their best every time they pull a Well shirt on. 

I don't think Bair is an 'out and out striker' as you say. He can't be when he doesn't score. I do agree that he is a target man who brings others into play, so fair play to him on that front. 

Edit: It he scores today, I’ll concede that he’s the greatest striker since KVV. 

• Haha 1

One thing from yesterday I found bizarre was fact Turnbull got booed by a fair few.  A lad who is big well fan, signed new contract so we could get £3,000,000 in a transfer fee and no doubt getting at least 10 times more in his salary.   Though I can see him looking to move if he continues to be on bench

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

One thing from yesterday I found bizarre was fact Turnbull got booed by a fair few.  A lad who is big well fan, signed new contract so we could get £3,000,000 in a transfer fee and no doubt getting at least 10 times more in his salary.   Though I can see him looking to move if he continues to be on bench

Might have something to do with the club he now represents ,  same as Jake Hastie.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Don't mind a bit of pantomime booing when an ex-player is on the field for the opposition.

When DT has been in the stand as a spectator on a few occasions, however, I think he was given a warmer welcome.

43 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The only difference is that nobody got a chance to boo Hastie when he played for Rangers against us. Or anyone.

No we waited until he came back on loan though and in a claret and amber shirt. It's not just recently that the wanker Boyd was verbally abused , it happened on his first match against us in a celtic shirt .

5 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I felt for him a bit in that respect.  

He must be keen to get away from Parched asap, if he was playing regularly he'd be in the Scotland first team.

Be nice to see him move down South for a period and then comeback to us when he hits his early 30s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Don't mind a bit of pantomime booing when an ex-player is on the field for the opposition.

When DT has been in the stand as a spectator on a few occasions, however, I think he was given a warmer welcome.

There was more than pantomime booing. One guy close to us was giving it

"Get tae fuck, Turnbull, ya absolute rat."

As others have pointed out, he didn't agitate publicly for a move, got us a decent transfer fee and has never dismissed his time with us. I don't like the fact he's playing for one of the Old Firm either but a "rat"? Nonsense...