Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Just been reading about Lee Erwin in the Record.

Fair play to the guy when his career went off track. He moved to the top league in Finland where he got a regular start as a number 9 and won the golden boot with 20 goals in 28 games. Now he's playing in Lebanon and has hit the net 16 times in 23 games.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

"Kevin van Veen is 'very irritated' that he started on the bench at FC Groningen. “There may be opportunities to be appreciated elsewhere later in the season.”

Played 7 minutes as a sub then gave a TV interview about leaving the club. Things are not going well for big Kev.

Bring him home to Fir Park.

51 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

As long as Groningen are still paying his wages but he's out on loan at a club where he is loved then why not?

Given the context includes he and his pregnant partner being subject to some pretty awful abuse and him underperforming and being dropped, which is likely due to the first point, he’s probably going to have to make a big decision in January to protect his mental health and his partner’s mental and physical health. With that said, coming back to somewhere he is loved in Scotland or England would be a no-brainer for him. However, Groningen would have to agree to any big decision and I doubt they will. 

Some Motherwell fans are like a dog whenever they hear a packet of crisps getting opened the minute any popular ex player leaves or even merely hints about leaving his present club. 😂

That said on this occasion I wouldn’t be against a short term deal for KvV in January if it was atall possible, which it almost certainly won’t be. 

When he’s two years older and been out injured for a lengthy period mind you…

• Haha 1

I think if we had replaced him with good strikers then this wouldn't be a story but fact we are struggling means that if any possibility we could get KVV back then I would pursue.  However... Groningen paid big money for him and his wages will be well out of our reach.    My worry would be someone like Dons or Jambos showing an interest.

Just wait and see I suppose 

14 hours ago, Inflato said:

Moult scores his 42nd of the season for Dundee Utd.

He keeps up this form then he must be in serious contention for the Ballon d’or.

Hopefully we draw Utd at home in the Scottish Cup so we can give Louis a heroes welcome. It doesn’t matter if he scores the winner against us, Louis Moult could shit on the steps of the Main Stand and he’d still be a hero to me. 👍

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I liked Moult (of course) but I'd choose Mika over Louis this season from what I've seen so far, for pure 'get me out my seat' value. 

Having said that, Moult did well with us because he had a Bair-like partner in Ryan Bowman. 

Bowman was nothing like Bair, he actually scored goals and looked like a footballer.

• Like 1

The pity is, we brought back Moult the first time when he clearly wasn't fit. That balls up meant the club wouldn't risk a second attempt, when everything pointed to him being very damaged goods. There's still a long season for him to get through and I really hope things keep going well for him, but there's a big difference between the teams he's facing now and the teams we play every week.

7 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The pity is, we brought back Moult the first time when he clearly wasn't fit. That balls up meant the club wouldn't risk a second attempt, when everything pointed to him being very damaged goods. There's still a long season for him to get through and I really hope things keep going well for him, but there's a big difference between the teams he's facing now and the teams we play every week.

I don't believe there to be significant one (outside the top 4). 

A fit Moult would do just fine in the SPL.  

For the record if faced with do I sign Moult (again) or Obika (again) who's also been injured for the last xx years I would have signed Moult in a heartbeat.     

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Bowman was nothing like Bair, he actually scored goals and looked like a footballer.

10 goals in 3 seasons - and while he had a fantastic workrate and physical presence, I didn't think he was Premiership level. 

But did a lot of the graft that freed up Moult. 

21 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't believe there to be significant one (outside the top 4). 

A fit Moult would do just fine in the SPL.  

For the record if faced with do I sign Moult (again) or Obika (again) who's also been injured for the last xx years I would have signed Moult in a heartbeat.     

Obika's had injuries, but he's still played 3 times the games Moult has in the last 4 years. To be fair, I wouldn't have signed Obika again, injured or fit.

As for the gap between the SPL and the Championship, you might well be right about the top 4, but that still means more than half the teams he's facing are of a lower standard. I also wonder if he'd cope with Killie and Livi's pitches twice a season - they're a minefield for players who haven't had the problems he's had. I know Utd didn't play him at Falkirk earlier in the season for that reason and were reluctant to bring him on against Raith Rovers.