Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

anybody on here herd the rumour for the window ,

shankland to the rangurs

van veen to the hertz ,      well lets see if its true ????

If true it would not surprise me, in a better team with more service to him Shankland will do well, as for KVV if he's back to Scotland on loan or permanently it will be for more money than we can offer so why not Tynecastle 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Seems like every time a striker in Scotland has a good season that Rangers become favourites to sign them. I can't remember the last time that actually happened though, as they always like to take a punt on the more exotic continental variety.

It was probably way back in the Dick Advocaat era when they were signing the likes of Caniggia from Dundee, Dodds from Dundee United and McCann from Hearts. 

I'm sure Hearts mentioned yesterday they wanted something like 5 million for Shankland, no doubt they would accept much lower but I'd imagine Rangers would want to source a better quality striker for the dosh quoted. 

As someone else mentioned if Van Veen does return to Scotland it would likely to be a city club due to his wages. I can't see a Scottish club paying a fee for someone at his age but with Miovski and Shankland possibly leaving their respective teams then VV would be a good shout as a replacement. 

13 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

If true it would not surprise me, in a better team with more service to him Shankland will do well, as for KVV if he's back to Scotland on loan or permanently it will be for more money than we can offer so why not Tynecastle 

ma pal who is a ragurs fan said he would like to know who said shankland was prolific ?? if you take of his pks heez only scored 4    and he wont get pks at ipox

Adams is a fanny but in this instance he's 100% spot on. The standard is atrocious.

When do you ever see a nice bit of skill leading to a goal? The number of goals conceded by teams just giving the ball away because they can't complete a 5 yard pass is laughable - I'm looking at you Mr O'Donnell.

Graham Alexander said as much himself when he said we could only play one way because of the quality at our disposal. 

No wonder the wee fannies try and light the place up like a brothel - it's the only genuine excitement they get in the entire 90 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Adams is a fanny but in this instance he's 100% spot on. The standard is atrocious.

Agreed he's a tosser but 100% correct on what he said, based on what?  He was punted from a league 2 side in England because they were shite is he expecting people to believe that the standard there is better than the SPL.

Every side in league 2 in England would be relegation fodder in the SPL, and probably a few in league 1 as well. It's only when you get to championship and premiership level in England that the standard is better.

The SPL is what it is, and statements like "the standard is shocking" are irrelevant unless you are comparing like for like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Agreed he's a tosser but 100% correct on what he said, based on what?  He was punted from a league 2 side in England because they were shite is he expecting people to believe that the standard there is better than the SPL.

Every side in league 2 in England would be relegation fodder in the SPL, and probably a few in league 1 as well. It's only when you get to championship and premiership level in England that the standard is better.

The SPL is what it is, and statements like "the standard is shocking" are irrelevant unless you are comparing like for like.

He's using the comparison for effect. Even if it's not 100% true that Morecombe are not exactly 100 times better than County the sentiment that the standard up here is extremely poor is correct. 

The basics that teams seem to struggle with are undeniable. It is incredibly poor. 

It would be interesting to see the stats for goals scored directly as a result of unforced errors. 

You can still promote the league and the competition without being blind to it's shortcomings too. 

I think we would all accept that the standard of our league isnt as good as it used to be. But to suggest its total shite and there is no entertainment in it at all is manifestly wrong.

Christ, we havent won in 14 games, but would anyone say they werent entertained by any of our last minute equalisers this season?

Kellys penalty save at Parkhead? 

Mika rag dolling the Hibs defence on his debut?

Passing Rangers off the park at Ibrox?

Theres been plenty to be entertained by this season despite our woeful record, and thats just us, the team second bottom of the league!

He has thrown his players under the bus with that interview after only a few weeks in the door. Many of them would be justified in saying "Why dont you f#ck off back to Morecombe then"

Be interesting to see how Ross County's results go in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

He's using the comparison for effect. Even if it's not 100% true that Morecombe are not exactly 100 times better than County the sentiment that the standard up here is extremely poor is correct. 

Again based on what, if you make a statement saying the standard is poor in the SPL what league are you comparing it with?

Every league in the world has shite games, unforced errors, bad referees, average players, boring turgid 0-0 draws etc etc, the SPL is no different but it is what it is. 

The SPL may not be populated by world class players but that's the same for the vast majority of leagues all over the world, so don't knock what we have here.

• Like 1

My question is, why do we have to compare our league to the English leagues? There's this tendency to compare ourselves to England because they're just down the road, but why not compare ourselves to nations of a similar size?

What's the quality like in the Norwegian league? The Irish league? The Slovakian league? Finnish league?

30 minutes ago, David said:

My question is, why do we have to compare our league to the English leagues? There's this tendency to compare ourselves to England because they're just down the road, but why not compare ourselves to nations of a similar size?

What's the quality like in the Norwegian league? The Irish league? The Slovakian league? Finnish league?

I think it's because the English leagues and European games are almost exclusively what people see on TV in the UK, so they have very limited or no knowledge of any other leagues.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Again based on what, if you make a statement saying the standard is poor in the SPL what league are you comparing it with?

Every league in the world has shite games, unforced errors, bad referees, average players, boring turgid 0-0 draws etc etc, the SPL is no different but it is what it is. 

The SPL may not be populated by world class players but that's the same for the vast majority of leagues all over the world, so don't knock what we have here.

Based on me using my eyes.

You don't need to make any direct  comparisons to know that the standard is poor. Its the very basics we're talking about too.

David Marshall kicked the ball straight to a St Johnstone player yesterday so they took the kicking duties off him only for his centre half to pass the ball straight to the opposition which led to a goal. That sort of thing is endemic in our game.

We have players who consistently pass the ball straight out of play under no pressure whatsoever.

We can just say ach well that's the way it is or we can demand better. If you want the game to improve then there has to be at least an appetite  for it from fans.

Everyone else being equally as shite (which I don't accept at all) has nowt to to with it. 

14 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I think it's because the English leagues and European games are almost exclusively what people see on TV in the UK, so they have very limited or no knowledge of any other leagues.

Well, that's a pretty flimsy reason for a comparison. Comparisons with the English game are never going to paint us in a good light, for various reasons.

39 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Exactly Allan. Because of media exposure, the English Premier League and perhaps their Championship too are seen, by many, as being of the "normal standard"  against which to judge our and other leagues. For me  our Premiership is "normal". Some years the standard is better than others. It is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

Money plays an enormous part though. Do English league 1 and 2 sides not receive around £4M in Sky money per annum ? Scottish clubs on the whole, don't see anything like that in prize money, unless you're finishing 1st or 2nd in the SPL. Generally, Scottish premier clubs are competing with L2 and just below for wages, so the lack of quality is not a surprise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Derek Adams calling our how poor the standard of SPL is.

Outlining how the paying punter would rightly stop coming if this was the standard. 

Lots to agree with -can't help but think us shopping around in the dross leagues of England is a big part of the issue. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67667758

Hes not wrong. The standard is dramatically dropping off in Scotland and we have been left in the dust, not just by the likes of the English system, but by others that are the same size as our own.

We have under sold ourselves for so long that we are now worth near fuck all. Not only that but as has been recently talked about when the Wrexham owners had a look up here, there's not a lot appealing to invest in when the ceiling is where it is for scottish teams. It's bleak.