Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Few former players yesterday and P.J. Morrison was definitely the best of the bunch. We'll never know if he would have been good enough at Fir Park but he looks decent and could play at a higher level than Alloa. Morgyn Neill had a fairly good game but seems to have found his level. Connor Salmon took his goal really well but didn't offer much else and Hetherington was quite anonymous.

Derek Adams is an absolute bombscare. His implosion is as funny as it was predictible. It should act as a warning for those still advocating us binning Kettlewell. But obviously it wont.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Derek Adams is an absolute bombscare. His implosion is as funny as it was predictible. It should act as a warning for those still advocating us binning Kettlewell. But obviously it wont.

We went 15 games without a win with some truly honking performances in there but we shouldn’t bin him off and look for something better because at least he’s not a nutcase? Remember he threw Gent under the bus not that long ago.

Your last line of “but obviously it won’t” suggests that those asking for change are in the wrong. 15 games without a win and he signed Theo Bair, Conor Wilkinson and Jon Obika. I’d say people are within their rights to suggest that maybe he isn’t up to it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We went 15 games without a win with some truly honking performances in there but we shouldn’t bin him off and look for something better because at least he’s not a nutcase? Remember he threw Gent under the bus not that long ago.

Your last line of “but obviously it won’t” suggests that those asking for change are in the wrong. 15 games without a win and he signed Theo Bair, Conor Wilkinson and Jon Obika. I’d say people are within their rights to suggest that maybe he isn’t up to it!

We're in the unfortunate position of being the club that will be affected by all of his rookie mistakes. We saw it last summer with a lot of his signings, and we've just experienced a 4.5-month spell where we only won 2 games, including yesterday. The big question is will he ever learn from these mistakes and prove he is up to it? The clock is ticking. 

3 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We're in the unfortunate position of being the club that will be affected by all of his rookie mistakes. We saw it last summer with a lot of his signings, and we've just experienced a 4.5-month spell where we only won 2 games, including yesterday. The big question is will he ever learn from these mistakes and prove he is up to it? The clock is ticking. 

He wasn't a rookie when he took over at Fir Park. He was a rookie when he took over at Ross County.

23 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We went 15 games without a win with some truly honking performances in there but we shouldn’t bin him off and look for something better because at least he’s not a nutcase? 

No, you look for someone better and if you find him, then you bin the manager. If you don't, stick, don't twist.

Ross County didn't really look for better than Mackay, they just got fed up with him and took the lazy option of bringing in an old pal. Now they're going to pay the price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He wasn't a rookie when he took over at Fir Park. He was a rookie when he took over at Ross County.

True. I guess I've viewed his time at Motherwell as his first proper/sustained stab at management. Regardless, everyone reading my posts will know what I think about him being crap. 

Just now, steelboy said:

Turnbull an unused sub. Moving to Celtic was a disaster for his career. 

No it wasn't he's secured his future financially,  Euro experience, scored a fes goals, winning medals etc all at a young age, and it's guaranteed that when he leaves Celtic he'll leave,a much better player than when he joined them.

31 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

No it wasn't he's secured his future financially,  Euro experience, scored a fes goals, winning medals etc all at a young age, and it's guaranteed that when he leaves Celtic he'll leave,a much better player than when he joined them.

He would have secured his future moving to Norwich as a 21 year old. Now he's 24 and he's lucky if he'll get a move to Norwich. 

He's not progressed as a player at all. In vital years of his career he's been coached by Jakeball Lennon then Ange who didn't rate him for his system. 

25 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He's played 32 mins in the CL this season and 670 minutes in the league (the equivalent of 7.5 games). 

Last season 821 minutes in the league (9 full games). 97 minutes in Europe. 

He's absolutely fucked it. 

That's 32 minutes more than the entire Norwich squad played in Europe this season. Something to tell the grandkids about when he retires in May.

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

That's 32 minutes more than the entire Norwich squad played in Europe this season. Something to tell the grandkids about when he retires in May.

Aye but Norwich have games that can go either way most weeks. With Celtic it's usually either playing against a parked bus or occasionally getting embarrassed in Europe. 

Last season he played more than 60 minutes five times. Twice Vs Ross County, and once each against Dundee United, Killie and Hibs. 

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aye but Norwich have games that can go either way most weeks. With Celtic it's usually either playing against a parked bus or occasionally getting embarrassed in Europe. 

Last season he played more than 60 minutes five times. Twice Vs Ross County, and once each against Dundee United, Killie and Hibs. 

He definitely doesn't get the time you'd think he would, given the number of goals he's scored from midfield. Postecoglou, Rodgers and Clarke all seem to have reservations about playing him for some reason. Be interesting to see how he gets on at his next club.

FFS, the guys been gone a few years now and playing in the same league as us so we’re all aware of how he’s getting on - do we really need to keep discussing him? I can understand talk of him moving on and potential money we would get but this chat is just pish. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

FFS, the guys been gone a few years now and playing in the same league as us so we’re all aware of how he’s getting on - do we really need to keep discussing him? I can understand talk of him moving on and potential money we would get but this chat is just pish. 

aha" playing in the same league as us"  SOMETIMES

5 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Former Players thread.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Melodramatic He never threw Gent under the bus at all, he pointed out he was at fault for the goal and he was still learning the game..all true , he rightly praised him yesterday too..so maybe his tack v Hibs worked , I am sure Gent isn't fussed what ketts said

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

You've obviously taken that quite personally.

You are normally one of the more sensible posters on here so my comment certainly wasnt directed at you. However on this point I happen to disagree with you.

Some of what you say is true. But you need to add the context of the circumstances and what SK has been asked to do by the board and what he has had to face.

There is much mitigation to be found if anyone cares to look.

You also have to add in, what is the chance of getting someone better in at this stage of the season. 

In response to your specific points, he never threw Gent under the bus at all. Sure you can take his comments out of context and make it sound that way if you like, but it would be disingenuous. Gent clearly hasnt taken the huff and probably had his best game in a Motherwell jersey yesterday in a position he is more suited to.

Wilkinson has been moved on, Obika may or may not be shortly, and where would we have been without Theo Bair in the last few weeks?

SK did very well last season. This season he has been asked to do the same job with one hand tied behind his back. Yes he has made mistakes and for a long time results and performances werent great. However, he has steadied the ship and our record in the last 8 games isnt actually that bad. He deserves this window to add to the squad and see where we go from here.

If he fucks it up and we end up in a relegation battle then his position is back up for discussion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

You are normally one of the more sensible posters on here so my comment certainly wasnt directed at you. However on this point I happen to disagree with you.

Some of what you say is true. But you need to add the context of the circumstances and what SK has been asked to do by the board and what he has had to face.

You also have to add in, what is the chance of getting someone better in at this stage of the season. 

In response to your specific points, he never threw Gent under the bus at all. Sure you can take his comments out of context and make it sound that way if you like, but it would be disingenuous. Gent clearly hasnt taken the huff and probably had his best game in a Motherwell jersey yesterday in a position he is more suited to.

Wilkinson has been moved on, Obika may or may not be shortly, and where would we have been without Theo Bair in the last few weeks?

SK did very well last season. This season he has been asked to do the same job with one hand tied behind his back. Yes he has made mistakes and for a long time results and performances werent great. However, he has steadied the ship and our record in the last 8 games isnt actually that bad. He deserves this window to add to the squad and see where we go from here.

If he fucks it up and we end up in a relegation battle then his position is back up for discussion.

Mate! You took the words right out of my mouth 👍

Well said JWFC

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

You can be vague about context of circumstances and mitigation all you like but you cannot deny the fact that in the modern game going 15 games without a win is indefensible.

Wilkinson has moved on? That makes up for signing him? He was god awful. Obika might be away soon? That again makes up for extending his deal? Having zero wingers in our squad to give us any form of plan B, who's idea was that? When he gets rid of Olli Shaw in this window does that make it a good signing coz he only lasted 6 months as well? I really can't quite fathom why it's okay to sign these players so long as they get "moved on" just a few months later.

The only decent signings he made he waited until it was absolutely necessary to play them and when they come in and do extremely well he has the nerve to say it was a masterplan to wait until they were "ready". As for Bair's form in the last 2 weeks, everyone in the SPFL was howling for signing him on a 2 year deal, even the St Johnstone fans couldn't believe it. Delighted he scored 2 goals against Livingston but other than that he's barely been better than Wilkinson who was so bad he got shipped out 6 months later. I didn't see the 2nd half vs Alloa but apparently he missed 4 good chances that he should have buried. If we're "hanging our hat" on Bair to push us up the table we're in big trouble.

For the most part it was KVV that kept us up last year. I don't doubt that SK came in and rejuvinated the squad with enthusiasm and what not, which was exactly what we needed at the time, but that only takes you so far. His tactics are awful, and a 3-1 and a 2-2 draw in recent games are blinding folk to some of the worst performances in recent memory. Remember Ross County, Aberdeen & St Johnstone when we were absolutely fucking atrocious, those were regular occurrences. We have been SO bad in so many games during that 15 game spell, all down to the way the players were being made play.

Granted we aren't rolling in it, but I doubt SK's budget is any worse than Hammell's or Alexander before him, and even if it is, it makes it worse he signed Soare, Wilkinson, Bair & Obika with that budget that is allegedly "tying one hand behind his back".

Is that what we are settling for now, having "not actually THAT bad" results in 8 game spells whilst the real form guide tells you we went FIFTEEN games without a win. You cannot dodge that, dress it up, skirt around it or avoid it, it is an indefensible run of form. Fifteen games without a win + some howling performances along the way + fucking up the last window means giving him this window will be disastrous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

You can be vague about context of circumstances and mitigation all you like but you cannot deny the fact that in the modern game going 15 games without a win is indefensible.

If 15 games without a win resulted in automatic dismissal, we would've waved bye bye to '91 and the best Motherwell side I've ever seen.

• Like 3