Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

15 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Read an article this week that said Mika had a discussion with Arsenal when he went back down and he decided Sturm Graz would be a better destination than us. 

Yep. They are top or very close and play attacking football so he is more likely to have a better chance to show off and improve is skills. Fair comment

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

Didn’t come across that way. He got a chance at a better offer and took it 

Speaking to Danish outlet TipsBladet, Biereth revealed that the different style of play at Sturm Graz was a key reason behind his move.

“From a selfish point of view from that an easy decision,” he stated.

“Sturm Graz are at the top of the league, so they are in a better situation, and more matches are won and more chances are created, and I would like to see if I can contribute to that.

“They weren’t particularly surprised at Motherwell when I announced that I wanted to leave them, and they often asked me in the transfer window if I was going anywhere.

just one of those things, he wasn't ours and got a better offer

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Didn’t come across that way. He got a chance at a better offer and took it 

Would be a better offer for Arsenal too, as I'm sure we weren't paying nearly as much of Mika's wages as his new club are

18 hours ago, David said:

I mean, I know they're the nasty enemy, but I don't think they're at the level where they'd try to do us out of what we're legally owed.

They'll pay us what we're legally owed as per the contract signed. Whether that was a good deal or not is another matter.

11 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Read an article this week that said Mika had a discussion with Arsenal when he went back down and he decided Sturm Graz would be a better destination than us. 

If that is the case, and there's nothing wrong at all with him thinking that, then I hope he had the decency to tell SK of his thoughts in good time.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

If that is the case, and there's nothing wrong at all with him thinking that, then I hope he had the decency to tell SK of his thoughts in good time.

I read an interview with him this week that didn't read well in my view. All about how he couldn't wait to leave Motherwell for the better offer - which is fair enough. Just thought it came across a bit disrespectful to us and to our manager. 

I remember SK stating that in the week before Mika left he was in conversation with Arsenal and there was no mention of a recall.

17 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I remember SK stating that in the week before Mika left he was in conversation with Arsenal and there was no mention of a recall.

As I read it, nothing was happening until Sturm Graz approached Biereth's agent and Arsenal to ask if something could be done and, since they all wanted it to happen, the deal went through very quickly. The whole thing illustrates why we should & shouldn't go for loan deals.

41 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I read an interview with him this week that didn't read well in my view. All about how he couldn't wait to leave Motherwell for the better offer - which is fair enough. Just thought it came across a bit disrespectful to us and to our manager. 

The guy spent months chasing overhit long balls so everything he says is true. 

23 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

As I read it, nothing was happening until Sturm Graz approached Biereth's agent and Arsenal to ask if something could be done and, since they all wanted it to happen, the deal went through very quickly. The whole thing illustrates why we should & shouldn't go for loan deals.

I would now say that 12 month loan deals should be out for us - just too risky. 6 months at the most. Steelboy is right though, perhaps we weren't the best club for him for the reason he states. He does come across as being disrespectful though.

As with Max Johnston, they're simply an entry in our records now.

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Not sure what your point is tbh. He seemed happy to be here - and then gave a very negative interview. That was my point. Irrespective of what fans think of our style of play and other players Motherwell gave him the platform to be able to get a bigger move. He came across poorly in that article in my view 

28 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Absolutely and it's also very possible that Arsenal themselves were not impressed with how we were 'aiding his development' given our turgid, dismal style of play each week. They would certainly have been keeping tabs on his progress here and would have been less than thrilled and they, his agent and Biereth himself realised that all parties could do alot better than us. And I wouldn't blame any of them one bit if they did think that.

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

I would now say that 12 month loan deals should be out for us - just too risky. 6 months at the most. Steelboy is right though, perhaps we weren't the best club for him for the reason he states. He does come across as being disrespectful though.

As with Max Johnston, they're simply an entry in our records now.

Yeah, we've seen a lot of loan players being recalled and sent out elsewhere recently, whether that was down to them stepping up a level or just not getting a game. Like you say, it's too risky to rely on getting a season out of a player who's performing well.

Biereth is a guy who has a lot of confidence in his own ability and is hungry to prove himself, which worked for us, but no one should be surprised he jumped ship so easily.

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

Absolutely and it's also very possible that Arsenal themselves were not impressed with how we were 'aiding his development' given our turgid, dismal style of play each week. They would certainly have been keeping tabs on his progress here and would have been less than thrilled and they, his agent and Biereth himself realised that all parties could do alot better than us. And I wouldn't blame any of them one bit if they did think that.

That's just your view to be fair. Which you are entitled to. He was injured for two months though and back with Arsenal. If we were that bad as you say why did he return to us after that injury.

Just now, wellgirl said:

That's just your view to be fair. Which you are entitled to. He was injured for two months though and back with Arsenal. If we were that bad as you say why did he return to us after that injury.

Perhaps his injury was also a factor in them recalling him. They loan him out in August and a week later is out injured thanks to a shocking tackle from a hammer thrower. Scottish football gets a reputation for being full of dirty players and hatchet men and that would have played right into that stereotype. Then he comes back and they're watching him basically being the one quality player in a mediocre team.

Just my view as you said, I don't know if that's exactly what happened or not, but it could well have been a factor.