Left Backs

sinjy

I remember a few years ago reading somewhere about our club having a tradition of terrific left backs.

With Stevie Hammell nearing the end of his career and the no football weekend I spent some time looking into this.

As you can see from the table below it looks like we have had only 7 regulars in the last 70 years. However there have been others who have filled gaps in the timeline.

Baldy Shaw 1946 to 1958 256 League games

Bobby McCallum 1958 to 1968 157

Joe Wark 1968 to 1984 464

Tom Boyd 1983 to 1991 252

Rab McKinnon 1991 to 1996 152

Steve McMillan 1993 to 2001 152

Steve Hammell 1999 to 2006 215

2007 to 2016 253

Significant other left backs

Pat Holton 1956 to 1959 played 69 games between Shaw and McCallum then sold to Chelsea

Matt Thomson 1961 to 1969 played 172 games and filled in at left back between McCallum and Wark although Matt played in lots of different positions during his career.

During Joe Wark's time with Joe either injured or playing at right back.

Chic McLelland 1979 to 81 played 51 games

Ian MacLeod 1978 to 1986 played 243 games although he played lots of different positions with only a few at left back.

Derek Murray 1984 to 1988 played 95 games

Jim Paterson 2004 to 2008 played 108 games and exactly half of them at left back in seasons 2006/7 and 2007/8 when Hammell was at Southend.

The games and seasons played are thanks to a terrific web site

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com

which lists only league games played.

( I believe Neil died recently and the web site may no longer be being updated but it is still a fantastic site)

• Like 1

I recently Google searched those two masterful Austrian signings of McLeish.

Darlington signed both of them from us. I was surprised that Darlington have dissappeared into the non leagues.

Some forgettable fill ins:

Franz Resch (known for signing at the same time as Mario Dorner)

Danny Murphy (known for signing alongside Trevor Molly and his taxi driver).

For me, there was Joe Wark then everybody else. It's difficult to explain to anyone who didn't see him play just how good he was. Perfect timing in the tackle, crunching but fair, great game reading skills,precision curled passes up the left touchline time after time, picked up his first yellow card after about 15 years in the game. And to cap it all, used to entertain with his ball juggling skills if there was a stoppage in play.

Tom Boyd started off in the middle of defence playing a sweeper type role, but really grew into the left back role when he became a little stronger and faster. Another one who had great game reading skills.

Then there was Derek Murray whose main skill seemed to be standing 3 yards too far off his man and never quite being in the right place.

• Like 5

Tom Boyd only became a decent player when Davie Cooper arrived. Coop was able to exploit Boyds pace and was instrumental in transforming a guy that was (in my opinion at least) second in the youth development pecking order to Chris McCart to a quality overlapping fullback.

The badge kissing thing was an err in judgment. I'm sure it was meant in jest but he made himself look a right cock. But then, that was largely consistent with Boyds behaviour the rest of the time too. He's just a bit of a cock.

• Like 3

Darlington signed both of them from us. I was surprised that Darlington have dissappeared into the non leagues.

They went bust a la Rangers after being bought by an owner which turned very messy, reformed as a newco backed by the fans now called Darlington 1883 and reentered the leagues at the 9th tier. Successive promotions have led them to now being the tier below the conference.

For me, there was Joe Wark then everybody else. It's difficult to explain to anyone who didn't see him play just how good he was. Perfect timing in the tackle, crunching but fair, great game reading skills,precision curled passes up the left touchline time after time, picked up his first yellow card after about 15 years in the game. And to cap it all, used to entertain with his ball juggling skills if there was a stoppage in play.

And was also a pretty decent goalie

Stevie Hammell displaced Stevie McMillan at left back and McMillan had a short and unconvincing spell at centre back before moving on to Wigan.

It was way back at the very beginning of my time as a supporter and I was just a kid but I seem to remember Tom Boyd started as a midfielder and him scoring a couple of goals in a high scoring win over Hibs...and in those days any kind of win was big, never mind a high scoring one.

Having said that I might have just invented that memory to see me through those seasons!

Tom Boyd started off in the middle of defence playing a sweeper type role, but really grew into the left back role when he became a little stronger and faster. Another one who had great game reading skills.

Then there was Derek Murray whose main skill seemed to be standing 3 yards too far off his man and never quite being in the right place.

A great summary of Joe's skills. I also remember his India rubber legs which managed to steal the ball from his opponent in a tackle from the back. He was a complete gentleman.

I'm too young to remember Baldy Shaw but I hear he was a terrifying prospect for any right winger: "hit 'em hard, hit 'em early."

Stevie Hammell displaced Stevie McMillan at left back and McMillan had a short and unconvincing spell at centre back before moving on to Wigan.

It was way back at the very beginning of my time as a supporter and I was just a kid but I seem to remember Tom Boyd started as a midfielder and him scoring a couple of goals in a high scoring win over Hibs...and in those days any kind of win was big, never mind a high scoring one.

Having said that I might have just invented that memory to see me through those seasons!

Disagree. It was his form in that position that earned him the move to Wigan which was arguably his best spell in the first team. One of the poorer full backs we've had.

Got to agree with comments re Boyd he came to our table when in hospitality at Celtic park and asked if any well fans I said me and he said nae luck . I then said wasn't like that when we were paying your wages and he replied only 3 good things about Motherwell my signing on fee ,getting a cup medal ,and best of all leaving .Everybidy at table said he was totally out of order and they were all Celtic fans for someone who I had so much respect for previously to bring down my team so much was a disgrace and just in case anybody in doubt he wasn't joking said even when at Motherwell ,Celtic were the only team he cared about .

Its a shame Boyd has been a bit wankish with aome well fans. I was surprised last time it came up on here. Not that I am doubting anyone on here but I have met him aa couple of times (once at an official do and once in a pub) and has always been friendly and didn't speak badly of the 'Well at all

Its a shame Boyd has been a bit wankish with aome well fans. I was surprised last time it came up on here. Not that I am doubting anyone on here but I have met him aa couple of times (once at an official do and once in a pub) and has always been friendly and didn't speak badly of the 'Well at all

Probably because there were no celtic fans around he could suck off.

Believe me, Tom Boyd is known as an absolute horror, even within Celtic Park.

With regards to Mark Hateley, he was always an aloof, arrogant bastards. Perhaps, given his background of being a successful, high profile player, but also having muppets in hell holes such as Renfrew fill his pockets. He's a relic, but the very worst was Graham Roberts.

Anyway, a different thread perhaps.

That too! Did he not end up in goals in his first game for us?

he certaily ended up in goals at some point and you may be right that it was his first game. Was it a friendly against Tranmere? I also seem to recall him scoring a hat trick for us as well, early on in his career. we were down by 0-1 to Montrose at home with 15 mins to go. Joe got moved forward and scored 3 goals in a 4-1 victory for us.............. it would be great if someone could confirm that since the mind plays tricks after a while :-)

My era of going to the games covered Bobby McCallum, Joe Wark and Tom Boyd. Moved over here in 1989 and so the rest I have only seen on TV or odd game over the years.