Scottish Premiership Partick Thistle V Motherwell Sat 24 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Kind of agree with the no punctuation guy. The momentum had already shifted when Faddy came on, with a more effective formation and Cadden looking dangerous on left. Don't think there any excuses for Faddy's waistline at this point, why he has been unable to reach spl fitness levels at any point in 4 years of football is beyond me. He looks agile enough but that weight will make any player slow and flat-footed. His adventurous passes, while welcome in theory, failed to find feet.

A pretty dire game of football and I'm relatively content with a point considering how we played for the first 60mins.

A bit of an odd game in that, like others have said, if Thistle's striker could finish they would have been out of sight but equally it took an absolute howler from Hammell for them to get on the scoresheet, and in the end we perhaps could have snatched all 3 but for a couple of decent saves.

Thought the defence struggled as a whole today particularly against Thistle's pace and was really impressed with Partick's #19 in midfield. Lasley and Cadden gave 100% and Ainsworth and McFadden both had an impact when they came on.

I'm still not convinced of Tait in a defensive sense but it was a cracker of a left foot cross for the goal and there's no doubt he's effective going forward. Anyone have any idea how many assists he's on now? I would guess 4 or 5 maybe?

I am not Samson's biggest fan but I canny believe anyone is considering blaming him for the goal. He made the angle for the backpass and Hammell just squibbed a pass to nowhere.

I can't believe Skippy's "goal" was ruled offside. lino's who make mistakes like that should be demoted on a temp basis.

• Like 1

Many would argue that we haven't had a fully functioning midfield since Jennings left the team. Rears its head every few months that the midfield is missing something and many of out competitors outplay and boss this pivotal area of the park.

Pretty much agree with this. Its often a significant contributory factor when the strikers don't do much or the defence is having an off day. Admittedly McHugh's injury has affected us but the midfield just doesn't seem right in terms of balance or personnel. I like Cadden and I'd exempt him from criticism. However with the exception of right sided Ainsworth and the "Jury's still out" Thomas we have no width, especially on the left hand side. Chalmers is more of a defensive player and you could argue he's due a run at left back. In the middle, Clay although a decent all rounder, sits very deep and lacks pace whilst the committed Lasley lacks pace and is 37. We don't yet know much about Belic or Lucas. Maybe Pearo will return at the turn of the year?

In short we lack a left winger; lack pace in central midfield; and lack an out and out attacking midfielder. The engine room doesn't seem capable of lasting for more than 30 minutes. The balance just isn't right. That said, we must be doing something right if we can get draws at Dingwall and Firhill and beat Accies at home.

Got to agree with the posts of Google and Kmcalpin.

In a summer where I think every fan was concerned at our central midfield area, even before Pearson left, we signed three players. Granted McHugh has been injured, but Clay has struggled to get a hold in games and we've seen nothing of Lucas. There isn't any balance and a lack if cohesion, with us utterly reliant on an aging Lasley and Cadden in his second full season at this level.

With the 4-3-3 formation of yesterday with the personnel deployed, we had no width, particularly with McDonald stranded on the left, without the full backs pushing up. I like Tait, but he seems defensively lacking and I think we can all question whether this maybe a season too far for Hammell. Doesn't seem the same player after the injury plagued last season.

Regardless of what formation we play, our defense will be exposed at points, either by lack of midfield protection, full backs being caught too far up the pitch, individual errors and we've already been witness to some goalkeeping calamities.

McMannus losing Crawford last week at the second goal and Thistle breezing through against Samson three times yesterday illustrate that.

Hopefully Bellic, Thomas or McFadden may give us some balance on the left or Bowman will eventually prosper there.

I think it's an absolute stick-on that Pearson will be back in January. I'd go so far as to say I think it's already been arranged. With that in mind it makes the Lucas situation a little clearer, and I think the intention is to have a "make do" midfield that will do a reasonable job until the turn of the year. If we can roughly match our results so far over the next 3 months i'd be relatively happy with that, and if (when) Pearo returns we can build on that for a strong second half to the season.

To summarise, I'm fairly happy with how things are going. Sure there's tweaks that are needed, and i'd prefer to perform at consistant 7's rather than a random mixture of 10/10 and 4/10, but I'm quite enjoying the season so far, we're sitting 4th (for now), and there's scope for improvement as the season goes on. That's fine by me.

• Like 1

To summarise, I'm fairly happy with how things are going. Sure there's tweaks that are needed, and i'd prefer to perform at consistant 7's rather than a random mixture of 10/10 and 4/10, but I'm quite enjoying the season so far, we're sitting 4th (for now), and there's scope for improvement as the season goes on. That's fine by me.

Pretty much on the same page. With the early League Cup games, international break and ins and outs of the transfer window - not to mention the unfortunate injuries to Blyth, McHugh, Kennedy, Moult etc. its been a bit of a stop/start season. I think McGhee was right when he said after the window closed that it's almost like we are starting the season again at that stage.

Looking forward to see how the new guys bed in over the coming weeks and seeing if we are able to promote one or two of our youngsters.

Down from 4th to 5th now and Ross Country have a game in hand.

Looking at the table, Aberdeen in 2nd have 12 points from a possible 21. There can't be many leagues in the world where the 2nd place team have managed just over half the points available to date.

I don't leave games angry (even if we've been gubbed) if I feel we've battled and had bad luck or a host of other issues fighting against us. But to go to places and either not show up, give too much respect or fold winds me up beyond belief.

Sorry if been asked before do we know how long McHugh is out for and what is the injury?

Delayed concussion, there's no fixed timescale however there is a schedule & protocol to be followed. He'll need to be signed off by a doctor before returning as well AFAIK. Moore's also recovering from the same after having been KO'd for Ayr.

That tosser of a linesman on the far end gave a throw in and corner to thisle in the first half when it was obviously ours. Thomson had to overrule him both times, linesman was clueless and cost us the,undeserved, points .

it is the manor of our play that pissed me off yesterday. We constantly backed off them letting them dictate the play and conceded the midfield from kick off - absolutely shocking!

This has been a very frustrating feature of our play for quite some time now and it leaves our defence, including the keeper, very exposed. Why? I suspect its a combination of tactics and the way our midfielders play. I never like to see our midfield defend deeply as any mistake can be costly and leaves defenders only limited time to react and recover. It also leaves Samson exposed to an unchallenged potshot from the edge of the box - Edwards yesterday? We do lack a mobile hard tackling defensive midfielder, someone to delay opponents attacks until we're organised at the back; get in their faces and close them down. If we had someone like that it would take the pressure of our defenders and cut down the likelihood of mistakes. We can but hope.

Just watched bbc highlights and as I thought at the time it's a shocking decision to disallow skippy,s 1st attempt. Ass referee is right in line and it's so obvious McDonald ran in once ball headed on so to me there is no way he should get that so wrong .I also looked over when ball went in and he never put flag up until after he scored so think the crowd behind him shouted for offside so he put flag up so very amateurish IMO and if that's how he makes decisions should not be in top tier of Scottish football as so bad a decision.

Just watched bbc highlights and as I thought at the time it's a shocking decision to disallow skippy,s 1st attempt. Ass referee is right in line and it's so obvious McDonald ran in once ball headed on so to me there is no way he should get that so wrong .I also looked over when ball went in and he never put flag up until after he scored so think the crowd behind him shouted for offside so he put flag up so very amateurish IMO and if that's how he makes decisions should not be in top tier of Scottish football as so bad a decision.

First part ( not highlighted) correct - he got it completely wrong.

We all know how it works but it remains kind of laughable given the scrutiny the "respectful" Mr Magic Hat has had over a mere foul that didn't go his team's way yesterday you do wonder if some of the press pack are even aware we've had two contestable goals disallowed in successive weekends, once of which cost us a win.

The second part (highlighted) I'm not so sure the Thistle support have had much bearing there. I think, as they do, he's waited until the player connects with the ball before going to raise his flag. There won't be that much of a delay between the ball leaving McDonald's head and going into the net and him lifting his flag. Wrong decision clearly but if he's hesitated a second or two to confirm in his mind what he believed at the time was the correct decision before raising the flag then no issue with that. I don't believe he was influenced, he just made an arse of it.