S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Robinson also talked in the presser about options he has in the summer, from the point of view he agreed to come back until end of season knowing he had a couple of options come the summer. So he might not actually want it.

I think we will appoint someone before end of the season. Doubt it will be Robinson.

• Like 2

Hearing a lot of worrying (in my opinion) Barry Ferguson chat this morning. Surely not..?

Who from? I don't remember any Motherwell manager chat being accurate in the last 20+ years, so don't pay much attention to anything outside of club statements.

• Like 1

Who from? I don't remember any Motherwell manager chat being accurate in the last 20+ years, so don't pay much attention to anything outside of club statements.

Same person that told me last time he thought we'd go for McGhee. Not to suggest he's in the know, more that he seems to be able to work out how Motherwell think...

From a purely business perspective, I'd be amazed if it's anything other than a "safe pair of hands" at least until the end of the season. After that, they might go for something a little more creative, but I'd be surprised if that involved a Ferguson (Barry or Alex).

I really like Robinson and I thought he did really well on Saturday. McGhee never would have made those changes at half time. Despite this and the win I don't think we should be making him manager. For me, we need someone with a lot more experience of managing a club. Robinson's only stint as boss was unsuccessful (i appreciate there was difficult circumstances) As much as I didn't like McGhee the logic of getting rid of him and bringing someone in with little experience to guide you through a relegation battle just doesn't stack up.

Let's get someone in with experience who ticks all the boxes rather than just putting in a cheap option.

Broadly speaking in our current situation, like any job/role, we've a profile that we'll be looking for an applicant to meet. The key ones are;

- experience managing at a decent level, with experience in the Scottish game a preference

- demonstratable evidence of improving/getting the best out of limited players

- track record of integrating, progressing youth players to first team

- clear ideas on youth development

Ferguson ticks none of those boxes, like him or not McGhee to varying degrees did. Of the candidates being touted at the time McGhee was (to me at least) an obvious choice. I'd imagine that whoever we end up getting will be closer to the sort of profile McGhee fits than Ferguson.

I'd be surprised if we went for Ferguson as well. Just when two separate people mentioned his name, I started to think "Wait a minute now..". We are known for our leftfield appointments but this would seem particularly strange...

His name has been popping up all over the place recently - most recently in all the "perfect for/not ready for Rangers" stories. So I'm not surprised his name is popping into people's heads. It just makes no sense to mortgage the future of your club on a failure at Clyde.

I've spent the best part of half a dozen years listening to the Bully fan in work bemoan both Duffy and Ferguson their previous two coaches.

His chat about Ferguson sticks more in the mind with him only recently departing but he was firmly of the view that Duffy was a very negative thinking coach. Ferguson he believed only lasted as long as he did because Clyde couldn't afford to sack him given the contract they'd put him on and the fact, by virtue of his connections, the revenue he helped bring to the club behind the scenes.

He did complement Ferguson's work ethic and said there was no questioning his commitment but was unable to get his thinking across to the level of player he was operating with. He said during Ferguson's time he built three or four teams none of which had any great success. My mate said he when he couldn't progress after so long with what he had he would just get rid and start again. He tried a more youthful route which didn't work then went too far the other way with guys likes Marvin Andrews and Mark McLaughlin the old Accies defender struggling to last the pace on their astroturf pitch.

In much the same way that Alex McLeish was rarely if ever taken to task about his role in Motherwell's plummet down the table it also irritated my mate that given both Duffy and Ferguson are media darlings similarly a positive slant was always put on proceedings given their relationship with the media.

I remain pretty clueless as to who I would want as our manager but I can tell you plenty who I don't want to get it and these two fit firmly into that category.

• Like 2

We've had some crackers of "applicants" over the last few years, going back to Gus Hiddink when we went with McLeish, then more recently Nobby Solano and now Ravanelli, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I think the explanation for these is that their agents just post their CVs to every open post, then fire a message to the relevant newspapers, mainly just to keep their guy's name out there.

Yep, as unglamorous as it may sound, we need someone who knows the Scottish game and won't underestimate it like baraclough did. Our "leftfield" appointments have had mixed success at best, with McCall being the only success if you consider his as part of that category.

I hope we are coming round to maybe thinking that knowledge of our own game is more important than "contacts" down south.