S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Both Robinson and Faddy are contracted until the end of the season, so the option would be there to let both of them go, should the Directors wish this.

As far as managerial applicants are concerned, the Board must take into account their track records. However that should also be informed by the circumstances of their appointments ie "after taking the job I discovered I couldn't bring anyone in" / "the Chairman micro managed the team and undermined me" or whatever.

Joeboy summed up my thoughts exactly in his post this morning "I guess our next appointment is a tough one to balance. Between now and May, we need a motivator who can get the best out of this group of players to keep us in the division. However, beyond May, we really need a man with an eye for a player, as many players in our current squad are either ageing or lacking in ability and need to be adequately replaced going forward. Getting a hybrid of the two at short notice might be a tough ask."

Robinson has been under contract for two weeks and under contract law he can be removed with a weeks notice/wages with little costs to the club. Maybe a couple of people within the club wouldn't be happy to do that -olds pals act and all that......

If I won the lottery, Id give the club the money to offer it to Gary Rowett. As thats unfortunately not the case, I'd love us to seriously look at Steve Cotterill.

Owen Coyle or Billy Davies I wouldnt be averse too, and I think a lot of people are being very unfair on Simo Valakari, yes the finish league isnt a powerhouse but Id bet it would be the same level as the SPL (Granted minus Celtic). People forget just how shite and how low our game is!

Does anyone know the story behind Valakari's success in Finland? Promotion, top league win and 2 cup wins with what seems to be an unfancied team is phenomenal in any league. Was there a tonne of money (relatively speaking) available to him or something?

• Like 1

Robinson has been under contract for two weeks and under contract law he can be removed with a weeks notice/wages with little costs to the club. Maybe a couple of people within the club wouldn't be happy to do that -olds pals act and all that......

Football contracts are normally a bit different to other contracts though.

Does anyone know the story behind Valakari's success in Finland? Promotion, top league win and 2 cup wins with what seems to be an unfancied team is phenomenal in any league. Was there a tonne of money (relatively speaking) available to him or something?

I think the chat last time we needed a manager was they were quite well bankrolled

• Like 1

People forget just how shite and how low our game is!

And yet West Ham's rising starlet wasn't good enough for our U20s, Joey (I'll be the best player in the league) Barton wasn't even the best player in a poor Rangers team and every English player we sign takes about a month to raise their fitness to the necessary standard.

I'm not deluding myself about our game's current issues but we aren't as bad as some make us out to be.

• Like 2

Aye, millionaires on the dole always take the first job offered to them.

Of course they do.

Maybe you can answer this question for me, always intrigued me. You know if you're doing a night in the rank outside the Palace? Is it better/more profitable to have like one big fare to Glasgow or lots of little local ones like to Silvertonhill and the bottom end of Motherwell?

• Like 3

I pray we don't suffer the dreaded drop into the Championship because as other clubs that have trodden that path have shown, its no certainty we'd get out at the first time of asking. Having said that, I honestly think the club really do need to be planning ahead (call it Plan B) for at least one season in the Championship and all that that entails, in terms of manager, players, budgets etc. Dare I say that it might give the club a chance to re-group and try to return refreshed. And, if I'm honest, I don't think we'd be getting relegated out of turn as we have flirted dangerously close in a number of past seasons.

Playing in the 1st Division AND having to rebuild the team on a shoe string!!!

The guy will need a miracle to succeed!

Have the rules changed this year if you have a really shit season do you miss out the championship and go straight to league 1.. cheer up ffs try positive thinking you might get to like it.
  • Like 1

Last time we were hovering around the same situation the club said they had the resources to keep the same budget for one season in the Championship.

An equally significant concern is the extra cash available next year, so we really don't want to miss out on that.

I pray we don't suffer the dreaded drop into the Championship because as other clubs that have trodden that path have shown, its no certainty we'd get out at the first time of asking. Having said that, I honestly think the club really do need to be planning ahead (call it Plan B) for at least one season in the Championship and all that that entails, in terms of manager, players, budgets etc. Dare I say that it might give the club a chance to re-group and try to return refreshed. And, if I'm honest, I don't think we'd be getting relegated out of turn as we have flirted dangerously close in a number of past seasons.

The only thing that will save us going down in the next couple of years is a wave of talent coming out the youth set up. We can't bring in Top 6 level players any more in wages or fees, baring the occasional jewel (say Moult besides, well most of the rest).

Hibs average attendances have increased by more than our entire support since their cup win. Baring calamitous management the Top six next year, and for the foreseeable future, will be Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. Even if you look at Hibs this season it's clear that money talks. They have a midfield of McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch, Shinnie, Boyle, Humphrey and had Commons in on loan for a spell. Compare and contrast with our midfield options. A financial gap has clearly opened up between the 10,000+ clubs and the others and that leaves 6 non city clubs battling to avoid the bottom two spots, over any length of time it's almost inevitable we'll go down.

I don't want to be relegated but I don't see it as cataclysmic. If we failed to get promotion in the first season, it would probably mean a new chapter in the clubs history, but as a supporter I don't think it would necessarily be a bad one. In terms of attracting fans, Dunfermline and Falkirk do much better than we do in a lower division because, I'd imagine supporters feel their club can compete and their clubs are moving forward. On the other hand we struggle and our receding support looks nervously over our shoulder at some terrifying black hole of relegation.

Our last three managers have now struggled and you have to at some point accept that we just aren't equipped any more to compete at this level outside the relegation zone. I know that will be a bitter pill for some to swallow, especially for some younger fans, who have only ever known a relatively competitive and success Motherwell team. Older fans will remember a similar situation back in the Eighties when the top spots in the league were sewn up year after year and for Motherwell it was rather grim relegation battles, enlightened with promotion successes.

I think we are going back to that sort of hierarchy in Scottish football. That's the sort of challenge who ever we bring in is going to be up against and as a support I think we have to recognise that as well.

• Like 4

Have the rules changed this year if you have a really shit season do you miss out the championship and go straight to league 1.. cheer up ffs try positive thinking you might get to like it.

1st Division/Championship whatever. Apologies for getting the terminology wrong, but I suspect you knew what I meant.

What I've posted in the past week is no different from many others in outlook considering our dire situation.

I'll perhaps post something more upbeat if the team can give us something to be upbeat about.

• Like 1