S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

I would not have a problem if Robbo got it till end of season then we get right man in going forward in the summer .There is no transfer window between now and end of season so if Robbo can get the most out of these players then no point in getting someone else in now . We lost 7 last time in Aberdeen and lost only 1 in injury time this time so must be more organised already than we were 2 weeks ago .Still lost unfortunately but Aberdeen won 12 of last 14 so no shame in that it's the games against the teams around us that really matter .

• Like 1

Underwhelming if that is the case Mitch.

If we had confidence in Robinson, why go through this process?

The only other candidate that was considered for the role isn't even on the SkyBet market. Only two interviewed for the job and they are going with Robinson.

Edited to add - I've not been told the reason why they have taken this long but my guess would be that the people we wanted were not interested.

• Like 3

If this is the case I am not unhappy with that.

Any appointment carries a risk and with a new Manager it may take time to get to know players and best system. Time is something we do not have the luxury of right now.

He is well respected both within and out with the club. Our last 2 performances have seen a marked improvement in application and attitude. The players clearly want to play for him.

All things considered I think this is the best option at least until the summer. If we stay up then he would be a good choice for another season to see what he can do.

That is if this is the case.

No offence Mitch - but if I was your source I would think twice about sharing info with you if it is going to appear on a supporter forum.....

If we had confidence in Robinson, why go through this process?

My thoughts exactly. If the people we approached weren't interested will there a better choice in the summer or is it a case we need to find out which division we're playing in? Either way it smacks of indecision and lack of confidence. IF this is the outcome then the Directors have caused at least 2 weeks of unnecessary uncertainty for all connected with the club.

A decision 2 weeks ago to give Robinson the job until the end of the season would have made sense then. IF he is given the role temporarily it also suggests that the Directors don't have full confidence in him, unless thats his own choice.

Is Robinson the right man for us? I genuinely don't know. He might be or he might not.

Anyway until an announcement its made is all speculation and we may have got it totally wrong.

It might not even be from our side. A new manager might be worried about having a relegation on his CV and would rather wait until the Summer to decide. Or we may have decided to go for someone already in a job but under contract until the Summer.

However if we had 50 applicants and only 1 of them have been interviewed then who actually applied?

As for avoiding delay, I assume we were hoping the process would present options that were clearly preferable to Robinson. If that isn't the case and we continue with Robinson (who has already said he has options for the summer) then I wouldn't be too disappointed.

I think that for the job of trying to keep us up, Robinson is probably the best fit. He has organized us a little better, and has the backing of the players. Bringing in someone with new ideas, and who wants to make a name for themselves, at this stage of the season could backfire if they are unable to get the players on board.

I'm not sure that Robinson is the best fit for the annual rebuilding job though, but I don't know who is.

I assume simo probably won't apply for a third time.

The right guy for us on so many levels is Scott Leitch.

I've known him for 38 years. There's a touch of the Tommy McLean bastardo within him.

Which is exactly what we need.

A guy who's not managed since he left Ross County about 15 years ago - apart from a game or two with us. A guy already at the club who has shown no interest in stepping in over the last two appointments?

Not disagreeing with your assessment of him but I don't think he's any thoughts of managing again.

I had heard of rumours a wee while back that Leitch isnt popular with the club hierarchy, he has done well with the academy but I had heard last year at one point of rumours of people trying to force Leitch into leaving the club. Probably nonsense but just stuff that i've heard from people in the past.

• Like 1

I had heard of rumours a wee while back that Leitch isnt popular with the club hierarchy, he has done well with the academy but I had heard last year at one point of rumours of people trying to force Leitch into leaving the club. Probably nonsense but just stuff that i've heard from people in the past.

Ask them why.

• Like 1

Regarding the speed of the appointment, unless we had a contract signed with a replacement before McGhee was punted, I don't see anything unusual in the time it's taking. If we were looking at anyone who's currently employed, then even speaking to them can take a number of days. If it was by application only, then it easily takes a week to get all the applications submitted. If it was a combination of applications and reaching out to a few people to gauge their interest, then that adds time to the process too.

And then there's the small detail that even when people apply, and get to an interview, they don't always want to take the job.

Whether or not Robinson gets the gig, the win against Killie took the pressure off a quick hire. I'd rather we get it right than get it fast.

Is that 100% certain? If so, why was he not handed it sooner?

If it is the case, he probably wasn't handed it sooner because they wanted to check out all their options, see who applied, see who was available, see who might be interested in the summer and/or see how he handled the KIllie and Aberdeen games.

That's certainly what I would do.

If it is the case, he probably wasn't handed it sooner because they wanted to check out all their options, see who applied, see who was available, see who might be interested in the summer and/or see how he handled the KIllie and Aberdeen games.

That's certainly what I would do.

^^^^ This. 100%.

You could conclude that they've opened the application process, spoken to people they may have earmarked and the upshot has been that those who have put in applications possibly don't offer any more than Robinson or they weren't the sort of manager who fitted the bill in a long term sense (as a few have said on here there's a considerable difference between what we need now and what we'd ideally like going forward). Those who may have been specific targets may not fancy the risk of having a relegation on their CV especially with a side who have 7-2 and 5-1 defeats on their recent run of results. You can't really blame people if they're hesitant about taking the job on.

Meanwhile in his 2 games in charge Robinson's won one game against a side we'd have hoped to win against and a narrow loss against a team that put 7 past us a couple of weeks ago. When it was announced Robinson would take the job as a caretaker the club presumably had no idea who might (realistically) be interested or how Robinson would fare. It seems pretty reasonable to allow everyone involved to take a breath and see how things panned out, especially since Robinson was only back in the door the week before.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me, doesn't get on with some other coaching staff

Robinson until the summer wouldn't exactly get the pulses racing (did someone say underwhelming?) but club have perhaps made the decision to sacrifice excitement of a fresh face with a some might say dull appointment that might be able to keep us up. Assuming, of course, that he was their first choice...

If Robinson only wants it til the summer as he has other things he wants to pursue then that's fine for him but it doesn't bode well for the summer that we can't find a candidate we'd rather have than him...