The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

If the extent of our signings in attack is to be Fisher and Tanner then we are in for a long season.

It's not even that now.

However, if we start the season with Moult and Tanner up front while we are looking for one more signing up top, it won't be a disaster. The fact that we do start the season with so many weeks before the window closes is another reason I hate the window.

The recent post match obsession about crosses gives me the fear. Reminds me of Moyes at Man Utd.

Not so sure I'd call it an obsession.

A carefully selected statistic to illustrate dominance certainly. Clever arguably too in the sense that using that particular statistic still highlights dominance but gently steers the viewer/reader/listener away from one of the more often quoted measures of dominance namely "efforts on target" or "efforts at goal" ratio, which I suspect wouldn't be as easy on the eye.

But I wouldn't say referencing it on midweek and then following that up by saying Saturday was along similar lines was an obsession.

Not so sure I'd call it an obsession.

A carefully selected statistic to illustrate dominance certainly. Clever arguably too in the sense that using that particular statistic still highlights dominance but gently steers the viewer/reader/listener away from one of the more often quoted measures of dominance namely "efforts on target" or "efforts at goal" ratio, which I suspect wouldn't be as easy on the eye.

But I wouldn't say referencing it on midweek and then following that up by saying Saturday was along similar lines was an obsession.

Pretty much my view on it. He's basically accentuating a positive, which it is, it's indicative of the extent to which we managed to get in to the attacking third. I'm pretty sure the guys who focus on the stats side of things have better metrics in terms of chances be it xG, key chains or 'danger zone' chances etc however taking very basic stats available to everyone the stats were as follows:

Queens Park: 12 shots, 6 on target, 5 goals

Morton: 21 shots, 12 on target, 4 goals

Edinburgh City: 19 shots, 12 on target, 2 goals

Berwick Rangers: 25 shots, 12 on target, 1 goal

Shots/Shots on target etc don't actually give you *that* much of an insight in terms of quality of chance. Andy Rose having a dig from 25 yards that's comfortably saved by the goalie still goes down as a 'shot on target' as does Louis Moult 1 v 1 with the keeper that he saves however one is clearly a *better* chance than the other. Either way it's probably reasonable to say that our conversion rate has definitely dipped though equally Robinson's right to highlight that the extent to which we got the ball up into that area of the pitch.

4 wins out of 4, enough for the congratulations tweets to the players!! Lee Erwin getting grief on Facebook from Motherwell fans having been tagged in a status... Good old social media!

The number of crosses increased on Saturday and midweek due to the tactics of the opposition surely? They packed the box and that meant we had to get wide and behind them that way.

Edited by TwistAndShout
  • Like 1

So are you saying he's not signing because he trained with us a few weeks back .As Hammell crocked and possibly Heneghan out as well wound make sense to bring in another defender .

Never implied any such thing. 'he would be in line to start on Sunday' is conjecture on your part no?

Manager has consistently mentioned that he is after another defender. He's been seen at close quarters and went elsewhere...

I'm aware of how ridiculous this is going to sound, but on FM he's a left sided centre back/full back, so would definitely fit the bill for a Hammell/McManus deputy. He was on loan at St Mirren 3 years ago but doesn't seem to have played any first team football since.

Never implied any such thing. 'he would be in line to start on Sunday' is conjecture on your part no?

Manager has consistently mentioned that he is after another defender. He's been seen at close quarters and went elsewhere...

I take your point about the manager already having seen him at close quarters. Argument could be made (and I reckon we won't sign him) that the manager has seen him and maybe thought he could find someone better but having looked around hasn't been able to get anyone. Possible..

Like I said though, one guy on twitter. I'll believe it when I see it confirmed...

I'm aware of how ridiculous this is going to sound, but on FM he's a left sided centre back/full back, so would definitely fit the bill for a Hammell/McManus deputy. He was on loan at St Mirren 3 years ago but doesn't seem to have played any first team football since.

After thisGRAEME mentioned it earlier on P&B I had a quick browse and it seems he's been bouncing around teams on trial most of the summer but notably seems to have been mentioned as playing left back in his trial games for Chesterfield and Bradford.

Chesterfield seems to have been his most recent trial stint last week.

He was training with us but hasnt been there for a couple weeks so its either he hasn't done enough to get a contract or he is keeping his options open. I did notice when i saw him at training a couple weeks ago, he's not all that big for a defender, i prefer a defender with a bit of height like Heneghan and Kipre.

John Philiben, square posts, robbed.

Although Gahagan should have got us the winner in extra time.

The highlights don't do justice to how dominant we were from the equaliser onwards (or at least that's how my ageing and drink fuddled mind remembers it)

I also have a clear memory of one of our players chasing the ball to take a quick throw in late in extra time and the linesman kicking the ball away. (Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get me) :O

• Andy_P locked this topic