The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Just seen this on the Scotsman who are claiming 4 clubs need a rebuild this Summer.

Motherwell

The need for the Fir Park club to clean the gutters was apparent following the team’s thrashing at the hands of Aberdeen and Dundee respectively. Mark McGhee left successor Stephen Robinson with a team that has no real longevity and seemed to be shaped on a year-by-year basis.

Five players of the squad named for Saturday’s defeat to Dundee are facing the exit door as their contracts run down. Starters Craig Samson, Keith Lasley and Scott McDonald have been reliable performers for Motherwell in recent times but Robinson could take the opportunity to blood younger players into the side with all three comfortably into their 30s. Steven Hammell joins that group at the ripe age of 35 but the fullback has a year left on his current contract.

Motherwell’s cobbled together side has struggled to compete this season amidst a spate of first team injuries. The team is arguably overly reliant on the goalscoring prowess of Louis Moult and the mercurial talent of Chris Cadden to inject some life. However, if the manager is able to hold on to the pair and retain McDonald and Samson, along with the return of Richard Tait from injury, it would provide the club with a promising foundation to build upon. Admittedly, Robinson’s relative inexperience in management and lack of success at Oldham Athletic provides no guarantee that a significant influx of new players would produce improved results next season, and if the team get relegated the rebuild could prove an overhaul rather than a few minor tweaks.

Skippy maybe but really do they actually do their research on what the fans think.

While every week I read stuff where Frear is getting above average marks plus his commitment and workrate is well in advance of many of his peers, I repeatedly think that we have a player in Dom Thomas who could be doing a similar job and the scouting that brought Frear would have been better spent looking at Defensive cover.

Completely agree

• Like 1

While every week I read stuff where Frear is getting above average marks plus his commitment and workrate is well in advance of many of his peers, I repeatedly think that we have a player in Dom Thomas who could be doing a similar job and the scouting that brought Frear would have been better spent looking at Defensive cover.

Cannae work out if this is taking the piss or not. Dom Thomas hasn't been very good. 2 assists I can remember then his last start for us featured him getting hooked at half-time because he was rank rotten against a part time team.

So, no. No he would not be doing a similar job. And if you think he has been that good for us then you must be off your tits.

If I take the piss I tend to make it pretty obvious due to the amount of fucktards on here.

To clarify my statement, I think its hard for him to be considered good among some of our support for us when the most he's managed is a minute or two here or there. Would Cadden be considered good if he was in the same boat? He got a shot due to a mixture of proving himself during the week at training and in the 20's and need for cover.

Of course you could argue 3 different managers have had him available for selection and felt there was more options elsewhere and while I accept Ainsworth is better than most in this league on his day, those days are few and far between (and lets not debate his work ethic).

The moneyball-esque approach we have at present to recruitment will pay off with Marvin and Louis. A few have been an abject waste of finite resources. I'm loathed to accept Steelboy's argument that if you target dross you have to wade through a shit load of it to find the diamonds. Think about all the players we've had who are just not up to the grade or failed to live up to their CV's

The scouting approach also means that every position on the park probably has up to 5 targets the club are keeping their eyes on. I presume when Frear was purchased it was opportunistic because he was available when the defenders we've identified were not so the decision was made. Well I hope that was the case.

Still, I would rather had Dom recalled and Frears resource spent on a quality defender, not much scope or exposure to highlight the wares of Frear in the Championship with a mind to punting him on.

Frear has been asked to carry out a completely thankless task by his manager...the fact that he is managing to play 90mins is a credit to him, given the level that he has come from

Completely agree. Give him a decent run as an out and out winger with a decent full back behind him then judge him.

Frear has been asked to carry out a completely thankless task by his manager...the fact that he is managing to play 90mins is a credit to him, given the level that he has come from

Not only that, but as he mentioned in his interview, a task he's never had to perform during his professional career. And I imagine, one we weren't expecting to perform when we signed him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Dom Thomas has had hardly any game time and he deserves a chance to show what he can do.

Here's career league totals on the park for a selection of players.

Craig Clay - 2,444 minutes over 1 season

Ryan Bowman - 1,027 minutes over 1 season

Jack McMillan - 943 minutes over 1 season

Dom Thomas - 856 minutes over 4 seasons

Elliott Frear - 636 minutes over 1 season

Lee Lucas - 578 minutes over 1 season

So you can see that Elliott Frear has not much less game time coming in in January than Thomas has in his total career at Motherwell.

You have to give players a decent chance.

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Dom Thomas has had hardly any game time...

I agree, and as many have said, it looks like he suffered from being too close to regular first team football to make a loan move sooner.

However, it appears that he has faded away during his loan at QotS, so it would seem unreasonable to think he's ready to step into our first team.

I see Gillingham have released a statement late last night saying the guy Rory Donnelly who we were linked with yesterday has been suspended by the club until further notice. Doesn't go into any more detail than that.

If you were to look on twitter, you'd find some utterly wild rumours about this.

ETA; probably wouldny do it on a work computer.

The Club's a total shambles!

Only decent aspect is the youth teams!

And a superb pitch - grounds man and staff are top end!

We are heading to the Championship and don't expect a return any time soon.

We are where we are, nothing to do with being unlucky, no breaks etc.

Sorry, but we are totally rudderless and have adopted a failed model - recruiting players not good enough or a season away from the step up.

Don't hold your breath on a miraculous recovery.

Fuckin' scunnered!!!,

• Like 2

The Club's a total shambles!

Only decent aspect is the youth teams!

And a superb pitch - grounds man and staff are top end!

We are heading to the Championship and don't expect a return any time soon.

We are where we are, nothing to do with being unlucky, no breaks etc.

Sorry, but we are totally rudderless and have adopted a failed model - recruiting players not good enough or a season away from the step up.

Don't hold your breath on a miraculous recovery.

Fuckin' scunnered!!!,

Totally agree. I would love to say a season down in the Championship would do us good, but I think we are in a downward cycle and won't be back up anytime soon. This has been caused by choosing the cheap option from players to managers and coaching staff. As you say our only ray of hope is our youngsters and we will be relying on them next year.

• Like 1

we have been on a downward spiral since we appointed a clown in barraclough and let him run riot in the transfer market,mcghee went through the motions and never rectified any of the problems that were staring us all in the face from last season.bringing robinson back as a coach was one thing but to have giving him the manager's job was a joke.i just hope the decision maker's at the club are having a serious think about there own futures,and then decide to fuck off so we can start to rebuild for the future because were going nowhere with this current lot at the helm.the majority of the squad can piss off too,it's at the point now where im sick of the sight of them on a saturday....wage thieving chancing cunts.

The rebuild must start at the very top. Horrendous decisions over the last 3-4 years from 'Motherwell men' determined to achieve fan ownership have put the future viability of the club at severe risk.

I doubt the South American consortium could have done a worse job than Hutchison, McCafferty, McMahon, Burrows, Dickie & co.

If we go down, I fear the club won't put money into the club to bring in players so we go straight back up, we won't attract any decent players, we will lose a shit tonne of money n will be on a much worse budget with a shit board who have 0 clue and a shit manager who will most likely bring in shite players

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic