The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

As everyone has mentioned this is going to be the biggest rebuilding job in years. I'm actually excited to see what Robinson can put together. As much as it's not the greatest having so many players out of contract it gives us a chance to gut out this squad and start something fresh. With the players we have at the club there are only a few that I would keep in my squad:

GK
Tait Heneghan CB LB

Cadden McHugh CM Frear
FW FW

Subs

GK

Hammell

McManus
Gordon

Campbell

Ainsworth (reduced wages)
FW

Edit: Bowman for the bench too

Might look drastic but I believe we are going to need atleast 9 bodies in, maybe 10. In defence we need a centre back and a left back. To me keeping the same defensive partnership this season would be seriously flawed. To be honest if we get a bid for Heneghan I would let him go and get two in. Failure to change the leaky defence this year would be suicide. Hammell has been great but it's time for him to drop to bench. Build the midfield around Carl Mchugh and make him captain, to me he is the highest quality player we have at the club. We need someone in next to him with some legs, this has been a big problem for me this season. As well as Campbell has done I think we need a different type of midfielder in there. A 'box to box' midfielder if you will. The main problem for me is upfront. Moult is going to be offskis and Skippy has already confirmed he is away. No idea where we are going to get a couple of strikers of this quality and Robinson is really going to have to pull something out the bag. Hopefully the board plays hard ball with Moult and we get something well north of a million pounds. If we do we need to ensure we reinvest a small amount of this rather than signing dross for nothing. Not been the biggest fan of our scouting over the past couple of years. In my view we need to vastly widen the net. If you look at our signings over the past few years they have been almost exclusive to the lower leagues of England. We have made some good buys down there but we've also had a ton of really bad ones. Financially it's more difficult to sign players from Scotland but I think we should be doing more to look at the first division here and out of contract guys from the Premiership. As well as this we shouldn't be restricting our search only to the UK. Personally I'm looking forward to a change from the old guard, clinging on to the likes of Lasley, Hammell, Pearson and McManus in the first team would be a huge mistake in my book.

600k for Johnson from a league 1 team I think we could get over a million for him if he goes to championship or even premier league as Crystal Palace were interested in January

There's no way he going to Crystal Palace or similar standard if he's wanting to play. He's miles away from that standard. Realistically given he's only a year to go on his contract and little desire to extend the most we are likely to get us £500k and that's being a tad optimistic

There's no way he going to Crystal Palace or similar standard if he's wanting to play. He's miles away from that standard. Realistically given he's only a year to go on his contract and little desire to extend the most we are likely to get us £500k and that's being a tad optimistic

If the board only get us 500k for Moult they should be ashamed of themselves. The boy is 25, granted he has one year left on his deal but he is a goalscorer.

Pretty mental that we would find this acceptable. We need to change the mentality of just rolling over for hee-haw

If the board only get us 500k for Moult they should be ashamed of themselves. The boy is 25, granted he has one year left on his deal but he is a goalscorer.

Pretty mental that we would find this acceptable. We need to change the mentality of just rolling over for hee-haw

There's no guarantee any offers are going to be over£500k. So if no one offers over £500k for him we refuse all other offers and let him go for nowt next summer ?

The board can't dictate what someone is willing to offer. The only way we can maximise returns is by getting the player on a longer contract.

Oh! but, there was...

There's no guarantee any offers are going to be over£500k. So if no one offers over £500k for him we refuse all other offers and let him go for nowt next summer ?

CSKA Sofia offered cash in January and so did a league 1 club. Given where he is in the scoring charts offers are only going to increase this summer. Decent championships are going to be in for him without a doubt. If we get a bid of 500k or anywhere in that ball park we should be rejecting it straight away. If no one comes up with a decent figure he will shine for the first half of the season and we would still command a decent fee in January. The money in the english championship is through the roof at the minute, time to stop bending over and taking fees like this.

• Like 1

CSKA Sofia offered cash in January and so did a league 1 club. Given where he is in the scoring charts offers are only going to increase this summer. Decent championships are going to be in for him without a doubt. If we get a bid of 500k or anywhere in that ball park we should be rejecting it straight away. If no one comes up with a decent figure he will shine for the first half of the season and we would still command a decent fee in January. The money in the english championship is through the roof at the minute, time to stop bending over and taking fees like this.

If anything we should get more for him in January, as that's the time when clubs who are under pressure tend to blow their cash a bit, especially English clubs.

• Like 1

Desire from him or from the club to extend?

Story goes that he was tabled a one-year extension, which he was keen to sign, but asked for his wage to match that of the highest earners at the club, which they didn't oblige with. All rumours and hearsay though!

If, in the unlikely event he signs a new contract, we are in a better negotiating position. That's not up for debate. If he doesn't some English teams will be willing to take on a chance on a bosman next summer, rather than pay £500k for example on someone whose unproven at at that level.

A lot of the championship money is going to Western Europe not the spfl.

Story goes that he was tabled a one-year extension, which he was keen to sign, but asked for his wage to match that of the highest earners at the club, which they didn't oblige with. All rumours and hearsay though!

I suppose business is business and if we didn't have the money then we can't offer him it. For me its a no brainer. The chances are that even if we offer him and accept a new deal right now on enhanced wages then someone will still come in and buy him, but at least we can demand more.

Also, all this stuff about accepting less than £500k. Only the club or those inside will no what financial position we are in. For me, Moults value is whatever the difference to the club in of being in the premier league or the championship. If we get an offer less than that value, I'd be inclined to keep him and lose him in a year for nothing.

I would like to think that if the rumours are correct that we have told all the out of contract guys they are moving on, we can at least put an offer to Moult. He might have already had his ear bent but we should at least try. Lets face it, with Lasley looking likely to go, we all need someone to focus our man love on!

If thats true the "board" or whoever sanctions contracts need crucified! Our only high value saleable asset and we shite it when he asks for a few hundred quid a week more which would give him more security and more importantly the club a far better bargaining position.

Even if it was a grand a week, thats an extra 50 grand over a season to turn his value from £500k to around a million. Short sighted in the extreme

• Like 3

I wonder how long it'll be after Saturday before we get the usual list of who's being let go - by the sounds of it things have started moving a bit quicker than normal, so I'd imagine we'll get some news early next week. I suppose if nothing else it shows an awareness from Robinson et al that fairly drastic change is needed this summer, and we can't sit around and wait this time. Hopefully we've had targets lined up for a good while and can move quickly.

I think Robinson has known for a while who he's letting go and his list of targets. It's just been a case of "wait and see what league we are in" before he (and the Board) could start the clear out.

If thats true the "board" or whoever sanctions contracts need crucified! Our only high value saleable asset and we shite it when he asks for a few hundred quid a week more which would give him more security and more importantly the club a far better bargaining position.

Even if it was a grand a week, thats an extra 50 grand over a season to turn his value from £500k to around a million. Short sighted in the extreme

Absolutely- it would be criminal if the difference between him signing it or not was Lee Lucas' weekly wage- for example.

"story goes" is the new "friend of a friend".

If you think about it for even a microsecond, it makes zero sense.

True. But it is Motherwell were on about! Did it make sense to resign Chocolate Man Lucas after an injury hit 4 months knowing his history? Did it make sense to punt Laing when we were having a centre half crisis? Does it make sense any time Craig Clay is ever on a football pitch? Hmmmm

True. But it is Motherwell were on about! Did it make sense to resign Chocolate Man Lucas after an injury hit 4 months knowing his history? Did it make sense to punt Laing when we were having a centre half crisis? Does it make sense any time Craig Clay is ever on a football pitch? Hmmmm

Yes to all of those, for various reasons - mostly financial.

I know some fans love to think of our Board as drooling imbeciles who can't tie their own shoelaces, but I give them a little more credit than that.

And as I post on here every year when it comes to contract negotiations, I don't believe payers or management (or even agents) release the details and yet every year we see posts on here claiming to know exactly how much certain players earn, what their bonuses are and how much of a tip they leave at Nandos.

• Like 2

• Andy_P locked this topic